Why become a member? ×

New Barefaced comparison video

fretmeister

5 hours ago, grandad said:

I have my 2 One10's and usually only need 1 for the occasional gigs. They are the best cabs I've ever used by far and wish they'd been around in my regular gigging days. I can't imagine a better tone though out of curiosity I would love to try a BF 12. Hopefully I may get the chance at a future bash.

My rig too! Swopped from a single SC.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, foxyFuze said:

I sold the SM that accompanied my BB2 a while back. How foolish! Rarely see them come up for sale which is probably testament to how useful they are, especially when combined with a larger cab.

I waited a year for an SM to come up and then had to drive from Surrey to Leicester to get it. IMO so worth it.

• Haha 1

I remember doing a cab shootout at the SE Bass Bash some years back and being very impressed with the Super Midget. I found the original Midget a bit shouty but the G3 SM sounded much fuller and better balanced. An amazing amount of quality sound came out of that little cab.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All - late to the party but thought I'd chime in with my thoughts.

Went to Barefaced last week to try the BB2 & SC - took my amp (AG700) and my Sadowsky and one of my MarkBass NY121 for comparison.

Firstly (and probably most obviously) - the NY121 is completely out of it's depth in this company! Sorry Marco 😬...

Anyhow, spent a good 60/90 mins flipping between the cabs - here's my take (amp flat, both pickups flat out, 6/10 preamp boost on treble & bass):

With the HF off on the BB2, they sound very similar to each other tone wise but you can hear the BB2 breathe more (probably because of the box size/design). It just sounds 'bigger'. Dial in the HF and it starts to sparkle. 10/10 was way too much for me, but about 5/10 added some lovely definition without sounding glassy or brittle.

The low end on the BB2 sounded fuller also, but not boomy - very controlled, especially at higher volume. And the tone didn't change when you cranked the volume. It just got louder.

Side by side the SC sounded more present in the mids (this was probably accentuated more by the Sadowsky, which is naturally 'middy' and the fact that the box is shallower) but not unpleasantly so. I don't think it paired quite so well with the Sadowsky. Not that the SC sounded bad, far from it, it made the MB cab sound like a ferkin' iPhone! (Sorry Marco..) The SC's a great sounding cab.

The BB2 just brings more to the party in my opinion.

So I went home and ordered one 😂 (Sorry Marco 😬).

By the way, there's 2 x NYC 121's for sale in the Marketplace 😛

Sorry Marco 🥴.

• Like 1

I used to alternate between MB NY 15" cabs and BF 15" cabs, back in the land that time forgot when we gigged several times a week. 

I never felt the difference was quite that marked, although when I needed money and space I kept the BF cabs, so I guess that tells its own story. 

As  @Steve_M suggests certain set ups suit different instruments in different ways. With the Orange Terror and passive P in a soul band the MBs were actually my preference.

But the BF cabs I own will be the last I ever sell. 

• Like 1