Why become a member? ×

New Barefaced comparison video

fretmeister

Ah - IMHO everyone should just buy a BB2. It doesn’t care what you do to it. Pub gig? Yep. Local beer festival, massive tent? Yep. At home practice cab? Yep. Stupid amounts of sub bass from your octave / synth etc pedal? Yep. GK amp at full bore with a low B hammering away incessantly? Yep.

I’m quite a fan. My only problem with the BB2 is that I didn’t buy one years ago. It just puts out what you put in, at the volume you want. It still makes me and the band stand around it between sets and in rehearsal breaks saying things like: “I’m sorry, but how does a box that size do all that bassing?”

• Like 4

17 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

Shouldn't have watched these - cabs are ok, but now I want a Wattplower!!

Me too 😳

And FWIW I think the SC has so far “won” these videos for me. Have said for a long time it’s probably the best cab I’ve ever owned to be fair. Clearly I was right 🤣

• Like 2

The SC sounds like some Barefaced cabs I have tried. I absolutely hate that sound! 
The 210 is the most interesting sounding cab there, I think they are really nice sounding and do a modern take on vintage really well.
The big baby is the cab I would buy if I bought a barefaced, big clean sound. Use my helix to add a cab sim (or ir, or eq) and It will reproduce the tone of other rigs. 

Yes it makes me want a P bass too! 

On 23/06/2020 at 09:14, stevie said:

If the event goes to plan, there'll be at least three Basschat 12" cabs at the Bash - probably more. I'd be interested in a comparison with the BB2, too. Last year, nobody brought one - so we couldn't compare, although we were able to compare it with a Fearless 3-way. That was very interesting. The previous year, we ran a head-to-head which included a tweeterless Barefaced 12 but, if memory serves, the consensus was that the horn on the Basschat cab gave it an unfair advantage.

It would be interesting to hear the BCCab and BB2 side by side. 

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

The SC sounds like some Barefaced cabs I have tried. I absolutely hate that sound! 
The 210 is the most interesting sounding cab there, I think they are really nice sounding and do a modern take on vintage really well.
The big baby is the cab I would buy if I bought a barefaced, big clean sound. Use my helix to add a cab sim (or ir, or eq) and It will reproduce the tone of other rigs. 

Yes it makes me want a P bass too! 

It would be interesting to hear the BCCab and BB2 side by side. 

Isn’t the point of the SC and the 12XN that it isn’t the ‘Barefaced sound’ - it’s actually the sound you are putting in amplified, and with no offence made, it’s means you don’t like your raw sound without speaker coloration.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Isn’t the point of the SC and the 12XN that it isn’t the ‘Barefaced sound’ - it’s actually the sound you are putting in amplified, and with no offence made, it’s means you don’t like your raw sound without speaker coloration.

If the BB2 (and the BB1 and Big One) before it was that flat and uncoloured as possible sound and as big a frequency range as possible. 

then putting the speaker in a smaller box and not having a horn is going to change the response and not be as big range... as you can hear! The smaller box chops of the top and bottom of the sound in a way I really don't like. 
I've currently got one of Stevie's BCCab which has the same objectives of going for FRFR, I've owned ACME B2 before that which did the same (and were what Alex used before he started building his own) so I love my raw sound. The SC does not give me that. 

Now for balance, so it doesn't come across like I'm Barefaced bashing: in the mix for a lot of people the SC might work better, esp for rock/pop/indie stuff, there's a mid punch to cut through, no lows to mess with the kick drum and no tweeter will be better for OD and distorted sounds. 

• Like 3

@LukeFRCI think you've pretty much nailed it.

The SC is also ridiculously portable, which is the other factor keeping me from moving mine on! 

So from a "grab'n'go" perspective, when things start up again, it will be SC for band rehearsals and pub gigs and the BB2  (which tbf is not exactly 'sumo' class!) for weddings and functions. But that's just what's going to work well for me, from a practical perspective, with my covers bands.

Edited by Al Krow

15 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@LukeFRC never thought you were BF bashing, just interested in conclusions depending on how we all play and what we play

Didn’t think you did, but there’s enough folk who like nothing more than moaning about barefaced and don’t want to give them the chance to start!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For sure the 12” drivers don’t colour the sound (in as far as my ruined ears can tell).... for me that’s 100% what I wanted. Humbuckers into a GK is sonic perfection in my world so that’s what I wanted to hear through a cab, and that’s what I got. I think nowadays there’s a Barefaced cab for every application though: and the build quality, size and weight of all of them makes them worth a look for any player, I reckon.

• Like 2

I'm liking them too.

I'd like to see the cabs getting used with a couple of popular amps. Alex mentions that the 10 series is more Ampeg flavoured so it would be great to hear that with an Ampeg in comparison with one of the 12 inch cabs to see what the high accuracy cab does differently. Then maybe a Mark Bass / Darkglass / Ashdown too as those amps are high selling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I'd like to see the cabs getting used with a couple of popular amps. Alex mentions that the 10 series is more Ampeg flavoured so it would be great to hear that with an Ampeg in comparison with one of the 12 inch cabs to see what the high accuracy cab does differently. Then maybe a Mark Bass / Darkglass / Ashdown too as those amps are high selling.

I don't think any manufacturer is going to do that. Press reviews and relating personal experience on the internet does a much better job of providing this level of information.

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

I don't think any manufacturer is going to do that. Press reviews and relating personal experience on the internet does a much better job of providing this level of information.

I agree it's unlikely.

But personal experience of sound is one of the most subjective things around. Reviews are useful but nothing beats hearing it myself.

41 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I agree it's unlikely.

But personal experience of sound is one of the most subjective things around. Reviews are useful but nothing beats hearing it myself.

Agreed, especially if the amps listed are familiar to you (the listener), it will help sway any decision

52 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I could not be happier with the BF cabs I have and the different options they afford me. 

But every time I watch one of Alex's videos I just want to buy ALL the cabs. 

I'm having this exact problem.

I have my pair of One10 and I will be keeping them. But I keep flipping between the SC and the BB2 as another one.

37 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I have my pair of One10 and I will be keeping them. But I keep flipping between the SC and the BB2 as another one.

I have those cabs, plus a Super Midget. Last year I sold my second SC and both Two10's. They just weren't being played enough to warrant keeping them. Briefly I was up to 7 cabs!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I have those cabs, plus a Super Midget. Last year I sold my second SC and both Two10's. They just weren't being played enough to warrant keeping them. Briefly I was up to 7 cabs!

I'm feeling a whole lot better about having 3 cabs (two being BF) already!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

You are my new hero!

Tremendous effort! :D 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I'm having this exact problem.

I also have a pair of one10s, plus a BB2 and SM.

I know this is a ridiculous number of cabs to own, but I like and enjoy them all.  I think the most sensible thing to do would be to sell the one10s but I do enjoy them and they don't take up much space, do they? 😉

Frank.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, machinehead said:

I also have a pair of one10s, plus a BB2 and SM.

I know this is a ridiculous number of cabs to own, but I like and enjoy them all.  I think the most sensible thing to do would be to sell the one10s but I do enjoy them and they don't take up much space, do they? 😉

Frank.

Since I bought my first SC from Merton, in 2015 (!), most of my gigs have been played with various BF 112's. They are the cabs I grab first. Both One10's are set up at home for practice. Even at low volume they sound so good in my front room. These guys will be the last ones I'll sell.

• Like 3

I have my 2 One10's and usually only need 1 for the occasional gigs. They are the best cabs I've ever used by far and wish they'd been around in my regular gigging days. I can't imagine a better tone though out of curiosity I would love to try a BF 12. Hopefully I may get the chance at a future bash.