Why become a member? ×

New Barefaced comparison video

fretmeister

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...yup, but just bear in mind the BB2 doesn't have a tweeter control and has a horn rather than a tweeter (see my earlier post at the start of this thread).

I am quite happy not understanding and not caring about the difference! :D 

(err, what is the difference? In terms that a 3 year old would understand.)

There are probably more technical ways of putting it but compared to the SC, the BB2 goes higher because of the HF driver and has a bigger low end because the box is larger.

IMO the sound difference is akin to a passive Precision bass versus an active Jazz bass.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Ideally with the BB2 tweeter control at nil, 50% and 100%.

I'm hoping we might get some of this in the planned video with drive/distortion examples. You'd expect them to sound as painfully fizzy with the HF driver on full as they would through the DI. I'm interested to see what the BB2 with the HF driver partially on has to offer beyond what the SC can already do.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, chris_b said:

There are probably more technical ways of putting it but compared to the SC, the BB2 goes higher because of the HF driver and has a bigger low end because the box is larger.

IMO the sound difference is akin to a passive Precision bass versus an active Jazz bass.

I know what it does. I don't know the difference between the HF / horn and a tweeter. Or why one is a better choice than the other.

These things shouldn't be taken too seriously, but they are really interesting. The shoot outs we've been doing at the SW Bass Bash have only really conclusively proved a few things

The source sound is really important, different basses and different players suit different speakers.

Room Acoustics are really important, even moving the mic a few feet might change your preference of speaker and what works in one room doesn't guarantee it working as well in another room.

No two bassists ever agree on what is a 'good sound'

FWIW I preferred the SC to the BB2 but only marginally The sound of the BB2 was particularly impressive on the lower notes but less so on the dusty part of the neck. The SC din't sound so full on the bottom notes but was IMO rather sweeter in the midrange and was more even across the fretboard. One of the things we noted at last years bass bash is that most bassists prefer more bass in shootouts however accurately it is reproduced. Bassists like bass, who'd have thought it?

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, MartinB said:

I'm hoping we might get some of this in the planned video with drive/distortion examples. You'd expect them to sound as painfully fizzy with the HF driver on full as they would through the DI. I'm interested to see what the BB2 with the HF driver partially on has to offer beyond what the SC can already do.

Correct, in my experience. With my overdrive settings it does indeed sound fizzy via DI and likewise through the cab with HF driver fully engaged. I therefore use mine with it up set to around 25% ; it's a good blend of cab voicing with just enough high-end definition. 

• Like 3

On 23/06/2020 at 21:02, Cuzzie said:

With a shorty

No matter how I listen, on a phone, through speakers, different headphones the SC is so dramatically different from the other two. I still struggle (even allowing for people's individual tastes) to understand how this thread has produced conflicting opinions. 

It's genuinely bizarre, not that others prefer one of the others, of course not, but that they don't hear that massive difference. 

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

No matter how I listen, on a phone, through speakers, different headphones the SC is so dramatically different from the other two. I still struggle (even allowing for people's individual tastes) to understand how this thread has produced conflicting opinions. 

It's genuinely bizarre, not that others prefer one of the others, of course not, but that they don't hear that massive difference. 

Have to echo that, as we can all agree there is no wrong answer here, phenomenal cabs and the One10 still amazes me on what it can handle and do for its size.

Of course there are preferences, but I’ve used them side by side personally, 12XN on its own is genius.

Supertwin all the way for me - I think my standpoint is with correct EQ/Preamp etc you can get the 12XN on its own to sound like the other 2, but not vice versa.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

I think they are all very different from the others. I don't think the SC is "more" different though.

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'd concur with this; I've listened through studio monitors, AKG in-ears, over-ear phones.

I would like to hear these cabinets driven at some point in these videos though...credit to Alex for demonstrating these with a flattish and clean tone, which if nothing is highlighting the nuances tonally between both the enclosures and the basses, but in my gigging circles nobody I met played with a flat/clean tone.

• Like 2

I'm a lifelong Precision/Labella junkie so kudos to Alex for bringing on the flats. 

I've been using a Mk2 Midget for years - oof, nine actually - and always assumed that were I to switch BF cabs, it would be to a Two10 or 2 x One10 set up. Now I'm thinking the SC could well take it. Insert mindblown.gif here. 

Just to add to the anecdotal tales of more than one of these cabs, I've never owned any of the Tens, but I moved my BB2 on for a Super Twin, and I'm glad I did...the only, only thing I'd change it for is a pair of SCs, just for the options for smaller load-ins for smaller gigs...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Just to add to the anecdotal tales of more than one of these cabs, I've never owned any of the Tens, but I moved my BB2 on for a Super Twin, and I'm glad I did...the only, only thing I'd change it for is a pair of SCs, just for the options for smaller load-ins for smaller gigs...

What did you like more about the Super Twin?

Did you find it too dark at all with the lower top end freq response?

I like the form factor of the Super Twin more for louder stages - the BB2 was very capable (I played an RAF gig with it once, in a hangar with a 900w amp and no PA support, and it more than coped), but on smaller (still loud) stages I felt most of the sound was flying past my knees. For the record, I should say I'm not a fan of tweeters in general - for my needs, the 4k top end of the ST has more than enough zing - and I like an aggressive, pick tone a lot of the time. I'm no slapper, mind... 😁

• Like 1

This is my dilemma. I sometimes need to slap a bit. Noting too Wooten like - more "Uptown Funk" type.

The One10 pair I have is great for many things, but lacks a bit of top end sparkle for that. While I like the Super Compact tone a lot, the top end of the freq range is lower than the One10.

How different is the Super Midget? I'm not usually a fan of tweeters either, but at the moment I find myself needing a bit of a Marcus top end.

18 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

. . . . . . . .  I like the Super Compact tone a lot, the top end of the freq range is lower than the One10. . . . .How different is the Super Midget?

I played 2 SC's for several years. A great sound and always lots of compliments, but when I switched my main bass to an active Jazz I started looking for a little more top end. I finally put an SM on top of the SC and, voila, there it was was a great full range tone. The SM reinforces the mids and adds some sparkle at the top end.

30 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I played 2 SC's for several years. A great sound and always lots of compliments, but when I switched my main bass to an active Jazz I started looking for a little more top end. I finally put an SM on top of the SC and, voila, there it was was a great full range tone. The SM reinforces the mids and adds some sparkle at the top end.

We're dangerously close to being in agreement here Chris. My combination of choice is Compact and Midget, but still... dangerously close. 

• Like 1