Why become a member? ×

Not Steve Harris's usual tone?

MacDaddy

12 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Have Iron Maiden written anything new since the 80s? I find them very same-y - same old dum diddy dum clankety clank that they've always done.

Or am I missing something?

Same could be said of all manner of successful bands with a trademark sound. AC/DC for example.

You're not missing anything though. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

And that's ok.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SH73 said:

He must be Jo pasrorous fan, sorry but can't be bothered to look up the spelling of someone's name  who plays random notes.

You couldn't be more wrong... and it's Jaco Pastorius. I actually like most metal, funk, soul, Motown, rock, lots of electronic music need I go on? Well done everyone for answering my questions and clearing it up, you've really given me a lot to think about 👍😛😂

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

You couldn't be more wrong... and it's Jaco Pastorius. I actually like most metal, funk, soul, Motown, rock, lots of electronic music need I go on? Well done everyone for answering my questions and clearing it up, you've really given me a lot to think about 👍😛😂

Maiden have done 5 studio albums since Bruce re-joined the band in 2000,  I've been a Maiden fan since 1983 so it's tough for me to say whether these albums are as influential as the first 5/6 albums, but aside from Final Frontier which was a bit patchy, the others are all pretty good, especially,IMO,  A Matter of Life And Death, which is awesome throughout, and Book of Souls which starts superbly before running out of steam. Brave New World is an excellent'reboot' album, sounding fresh and exciting throughout, for me it's one of their best sounding albums. 
Is any of this radically different from their 'signature' sound? Honestly....... no. Theyhave their sound, they have their (massive, world wide) audience and they know exactly what they want, and provide it with style.

one of my new era favourites....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sykilz said:

Maiden have done 5 studio albums since Bruce re-joined the band in 2000,  I've been a Maiden fan since 1983 so it's tough for me to say whether these albums are as influential as the first 5/6 albums, but aside from Final Frontier which was a bit patchy, the others are all pretty good, especially,IMO,  A Matter of Life And Death, which is awesome throughout, and Book of Souls which starts superbly before running out of steam. Brave New World is an excellent'reboot' album, sounding fresh and exciting throughout, for me it's one of their best sounding albums. 
Is any of this radically different from their 'signature' sound? Honestly....... no. Theyhave their sound, they have their (massive, world wide) audience and they know exactly what they want, and provide it with style.

one of my new era favourites....

Best and rawest sounding Maiden album.......Piece of Mind, drums sound is out of this world, guitars raw and heavy, bass tone just right, vocals at its peak.

Best technically sounding...7th son...the whole album sounds crystal clear. Maiden with Marshall's sounds like Maiden. But Maiden guitars played through GK sound is just beyond everything else

Best Steve tone.. 

Please close the thread 🤟

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dudewheresmybass said:

I wore out at least three vhs copies of LAD. 
this is the reason it’s now my job. 

I still have the VHS but unsure what the quality is now, I remember wearing out a Sony 90 mins tape. LAD was recorded from the LP

• Like 1

Steve’s tone is .... Steve’s tone. It works for Maiden and that’s all it needs to do. But..... as much as I love Maiden, and Steve Harris is a huge reason that I’ve played bass since for 30 years now, sometimes his tone can be a little too much for me. The start of ‘The Red and the Black’, especially live, is so damn bright it takes away from the actual riff he’s playing, IMO. Having said that - Up the Irons!!!!

And ‘Hallowed be thy Name’ is 37 years old, so maybe that’s why it sounds like their 80s material 😉

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Gareth Hughes said:

. The start of ‘The Red and the Black’, especially live, is so damn bright it takes away from the actual riff he’s playing, IMO. Having said that - Up the Irons??

Isn't this played on acoustic bass?

• Like 1

On 23/06/2020 at 16:04, Gareth Hughes said:

The start of ‘The Red and the Black’, especially live, is so damn bright it takes away from the actual riff he’s playing, IMO. Having said that - Up the Irons!!!!

I love his tone even when it's bright and clanky. It suits the music.

I dislike the Irons and why would anyone want to buy his sig. bass with  a West Ham badge on it?

2 hours ago, ubit said:

I love his tone even when it's bright and clanky. It suits the music.

I dislike the Irons and why would anyone want to buy his sig. bass with  a West Ham badge on it?

I’m pretty much the same, I wouldn’t buy a bass with a football badge on it, and I wonder how many people that may have bought one of these haven’t purely down to that.

• Like 1

I played one not long after they came out with the #1 design. 
it was quite simply the best p bass I had played. 
I would not buy one though down to the logo. I despise most football. 
I have now got, as one of my go to instruments, a blue sparkle cij sh sig. amazing bass. Easily as good as the #1 mim if not better 🤘🤘

16 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m pretty much the same, I wouldn’t buy a bass with a football badge on it, and I wonder how many people that may have bought one of these haven’t purely down to that.

Yup, even if I had my own teams badge on my bass, enough people would comment in distaste that it would ruin any feelings of pride. It's the same with idiots that insist on wearing replica strips everywhere.

• Like 1