Why become a member? ×

Not Steve Harris's usual tone?

MacDaddy

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes a higher clank total than usual - seems in higher mid territory, just wonder if it’s due to the recording gear as the drums also didn’t seem to have much low end either.

There is no bottom end on anything I can hear and the cymbals have that low bit-rate phasey thing going on, sounds like a poor encoding that has been high-passed for playing on mobile phones...

• Like 2

I bought a set of his sig strings a few years back. Not only did the E string break at the tuning peg when I removed them to oil the board but they are by far and above the most expensive crap strings I have ever bought.

Edited by jezzaboy

41 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

I bought a set of his sig strings a few years back. Not only did the E string break at the tuning peg when I removed them to oil the board but they are by far and above the most expensive crap strings I have ever bought.

I have the normal gauge ones on my P.

Love them.

Erm coming from a Squire/Geddy heritage, I have to say I liked his tone. Always a challenge to balance the clank of the note with the whump of the bass but I'm in. Well done Steve H and everyone involved...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Have Iron Maiden written anything new since the 80s? I find them very same-y - same old dum diddy dum clankety clank that they've always done.

Or am I missing something?

Well, you're not missing an opportunity to dig up the old "I don't get it" / "am I missing something" post ;) :) 😜

• Like 3

I quite like the bass tone, could maybe do with a little more bass but sounds pretty good to me..... I think you would absolutely hate my tone, I crank the treble on my amp and then engage the bright switch which gives me another +13 of treble..oh and I switch the tweeter on, lowish action so i get plenty of clank 

Edited by shoulderpet

First time I’ve listened to any IM.

Listening on headphones, I didn’t think his “clank” was unpleasant. I find CS’s “clank” too much, but he played a ClankStick and was his sig sound.

A couple of things I was surprised at though:

It’s quite unusual to me to see 3 guitarists all playing Strats, usually one will have a LP or some kind of pointy headstock, no?

I found myself holding my breath listening to the singer, thinking “breath you bugger, breath”, bit like when I watch someone struggling underwater in a film. 

I’m off to do some Air Lunges. 
Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

Steven was maybe a bit obvious on the 'clank' right at the start, but one you got in to the song, it felt pretty much normal to me.

I still find it strange to see them wailing away with 3 guitarists. They don't, IMO, do enough to differentiate the guitar parts & sounds between the 3 of them. If you listen to just the audio, especially live, you can't tell who is playing what.

Sounds fine to me through headphones.

Great bass tone. I hear reasonable low end there, but with enough clank to cut through 3 guitarists and a drummer. Job done....

Maybe those who hear no low end aren't listening back on the right device..

• Like 3