Why become a member? ×

"Gain only" preamp pedal - any out there?

AJ567

I'm looking for a device that will take an unbalanced instrument signal, boost it to line level with balanced output, with a master level control. Ideally a simple box with just the two jacks and a volume knob.

The purpose of this is driving a power amp or powered monitor right off the pedal board. I don't need any eq or tone enhancing fairy dust. Just 20db of gain (or thereabouts) and line balancing.

Seems straightforward and useful for many applications but I cant can't seem to find anything like this on the market! 

Any ideas?

TC Spark? 26dB of boost and some tone shaping thrown in for free.

Btw - the Spark mini version doesn't have the same tone shaping options and is a smaller footprint, but the full fat one is currently on offer for less than the mini.

Edited by Al Krow

A Spark or similar clean boost takes care of the gain, but if you want a balanced signal you'd have to put something like this afterwards:
https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/na2m-j-tx

Are you sure you need a balanced signal though? My understanding is that the kind of interference that might cause an issue for instrument/mic-level signals isn't really noticeable at line level.

31 minutes ago, Jonse said:

That looks decent 👍

I’m thinking of getting one myself, as I’m probably removing my preamp/DI pedal from my board to make room for an incoming compressor, but I still want a pedalboard DI option. From a brief search our own @Dood has/had one.

7 minutes ago, dudewheresmybass said:

I have the mooer Di. Great piece of kit. 
the speaker sim is decent too. 
there are clones around on eBay. I picked up a spare from a company called tomsline. Exactly the same and cost something around £20. 

There's definitely something ironic about Mooer pedals being cloned! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A DI box does output a balanced signal, but its output is mic level, which won't drive a power amp.  I think that's why he looking for 20dB or so of gain.

MartinB already raised the good question about why the signal needs to be balanced in this scenario ("The purpose of this is driving a power amp or powered monitor right off the pedal board.")

• Like 2

Many thanks for the responses all! That Mooer active DI is almost perfect but lacking a volume knob.

For the TC Spark and MXR line driver - does anyone know first hand whether the level knobs on these pedals control "boost level" or "master level"? I.e. is all the way "off" muted or unity? 

The Level knob on the Spark goes below unity (because it also has a Gain knob). I don't know about the Spark Mini.

If you want a solution in a single box, it might be worth getting in touch with a UK pedal builder. I'm no electronics expert, but a single-knob clean boost with a balanced output doesn't sound like it should be all that complicated.

Off the top of my head:
Bright Onion (https://www.brightonion.co.uk/)

Orchid Electronics (http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/index.htm)

RayGun FX (http://fuzzboxes.co.uk/)
I'm sure there's plenty of others.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Just a thought on the Mooer - as you have a volume knob on your bass, will you actually need another on the pedal? 

The behaviour of some pedals (e.g. compression, overdrive) is a function of the input level.  E.g. if you turn the bass volume down, you'll get less overdrive.  Maybe in other situation that's exactly what you want - but in this case if you want the exact same tone but just louder/quieter, you need to adjust further downstream than the bass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I don't have either, but hunting about it looks as though the CAE/MXR Line Driver and Spark Mini go from 0 to +20db on the dial, and the Spark Booster does much the same, but fully anticlockwise is slightly attenuated, so at a complete guess, something like -6db to +20, perhaps to help out when using the gain control up high.

Looks like a booster followed by the neutrik gadget you mentioned earlier might be the way to go - many thanks.

So... Now taking suggestions for a quality clean boost with 20db of gain and a master level control (i.e. signal is muted when knob is fully CCW). Looks like the keeley katana is an option... any others?

@MartinB a custom build could be an option, thanks. Might even be simple enough to DIY...

@alkrow fair question but I do need volume control for my purposes. The signal will need to be full strength for effects earlier in the chain (as @jrixn1points out) and a separate stereo DI for FOH 

Ok, in which case I'm still at just how many volume controls you need in your signal chain? 

I'm guessing that in addition to the bass, each of the effects in your chain will also all have individual volume controls. 

So if you want to go with something as simple as the Mooer, it should still be an option?