Why become a member? ×

Blues records with Keys.

bubinga5

For piano, there's loads. I was always partial to a bit of Otis Spann:

unnamed-1.jpg.c7914736702c97664d02aa54653e192f.jpg

But there's looooads to choose from. Some of my old school favourites would be players like Dr. John, Professor Longhair, James Booker, Johnnie Johnson, maybe some Mary Lou Williams etc, but now there's Jon Cleary and Chase Garrett and many many more. You can go down the YouTube rabbit hole and spend hours finding new players, easy!

For organ, it's all your classic B3 players: Jimmy Smith, Brother Jack McDuff, Charles Kynard, Charles Earland, Shirley Scott and all the Blue Note or Prestige Records guys and girls. Also Booker T Jones had his bluesy moments with the MGs ("Sunday Sermon", "Over Easy" etc) and pre-Beatles Billy Preston records on Capitol or Sue Records are all pretty good. If "Billy's Bag" floats your boat then his 60s LPs definitely will.

On a more obscure tip, Mick Weaver recorded a couple of bluesy Hammond organ LPs, the best of which is "Into The Fire" where he covers Howlin' Wolf:

And also for Hammond check out modern bands like the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio, or Alan Evans' AE3. Plenty bluesy funk action.

I could pick out plenty more but I have to get groceries for my Mrs. Have this one for now:

Cheers - Lee :)

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one has so far mentioned the "Godfather of British Blues..." John Mayall. Although he plays a range of instruments, I would say that keys is his main one. Here is a track from an early album of his where he plays all the instruments except drums... "The Blues Alone". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6pSWlcjOkk

Edited by Coilte
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, phil.c60 said:

Blues records with keys?

Mostly Eb..........

I'll get my coat.

😄

Perhaps in some cases, but not all. Here is another early John Mayall album..Blues from Laural Canyon".. complete with track listings and key.

1. "Vacation" – 2:47 E
  2. "Walking on Sunset" – 2:50 Ab
  3. "Laurel Canyon Home" – 4:33 C
  4. "2401" – 3:42 A
  5. "Ready to Ride" – 3:32 E
  6. "Medicine Man" – 2:43 G
  7. "Somebody's Acting Like a Child" – 3:27 Db
  8. "The Bear" – 4:40 Bb
  9. "Miss James" – 2:30 F
  10. "First Time Alone" – 4:49 B
  11. "Long Gone Midnight" – 3:27 Eb
  12. "Fly Tomorrow" – 8:59 D

The " How Long Blues " three posts above is a classic example of one of the Eight-Bar Blues forms , where it goes to the iv minor in bar 4 .
It evolved into stuff like this , where bar 5 gets divided into a I - VI , and bar 6 becomes a II -V ; 

( Gene Harris uses the last 4 as an intro )