Why become a member? ×

Fender options

T-Bay

My GAS for a lake placid blue/ tide pool Jazz is getting out of hand. Luckily there is a fly in the ointment - blocks, or rather lack of them. I don’t have a bass with maple and block neck but sadly Fender don’t seem to do one that I can find (not looking at custom range at do not have the budget). The player range has tide pool and maple but with dots. I have heard good reports on here so happy to give one a go but does anyone know if they do a maple neck with blocks at all? Is it an option you could get?

The cheapest (according to Fender's website) is the Squier CV 70s Jazz Bass followed by Geddy Lee model but it's only black body or three colour sunburst. Next is the American Ultra range, but you are starting to get into silly money now. I do appreciate that none of them have the tidepool finish. But I'm sure you could paint the natural Squier CV couldn't you?

3 minutes ago, Yukimajo said:

The cheapest (according to Fender's website) is the Squier CV 70s Jazz Bass followed by Geddy Lee model but it's only black body or three colour sunburst. Next is the American Ultra range, but you are starting to get into silly money now. I do appreciate that none of them have the tidepool finish. But I'm sure you could paint the natural Squier CV couldn't you?

I wouldn’t want to paint one to be honest. I know it’s doable and have done it myself but would like an ‘off the shelf’ option if possible. I had looked at the Squier in black, but I already have a black Squier jazz, but with rosewood fretboard.

• Like 1

I guess you could splurge and get the Geddy Lee and the Player and swap necks! Then sell the Geddy (or give it to me of course :D). It would still be cheaper than the custom shop route.

Edited by Yukimajo
  • Like 1

I feel your pain. For such a huge company, I think rather bizarrely, the options on new Fenders can be quite limited. I'd absolutely love a Fiesta Red P-Bass with tort pickguard. The only models that fulfill this seem to a discontinued Squier CV 60's or a Pino Palladino Signature at £3500

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I feel your pain. For such a huge company, I think rather bizarrely, the options on new Fenders can be quite limited. I'd absolutely love a Fiesta Red P-Bass with tort pickguard. The only models that fulfill this seem to a discontinued Squier CV 60's or a Pino Palladino Signature at £3500

The range is odd, they seem to do some colour combinations over and over and others are almost non existent. I guess they think they know what people want.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

I think you will struggle in this price bracket then I'm afraid. Good luck.

There are a good few options, just missing that exact one. I can get everything I want, just not on the same bass!

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

Try a Revelation RPB in red, sub Squier CV price for a really well put together and great sounding bass. Tweaked, theyre a really fine instrument.

1 minute ago, therealting said:

You could build a pretty nice bitsa with secondhand parts for that money. 

I have wondered about buying just a neck and even making the body myself - I could do a see through finish then. But I have enough projects so would probably have to go for a premade body. Perhaps,I should look for the price of replacement fender necks........