Why become a member? ×

Fretboard Accelerator Programme aka the Gary Willis book thread

Stub Mandrel

2 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I nearly ordered one, and then thought I'd better have a go at this Ariane Cap book I got 6 months ago instead! 😂

Why do I always want to pronounce that as Ariane 'Crap'? 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I nearly ordered one, and then thought I'd better have a go at this Ariane Cap book I got 6 months ago instead! 😂

I ordered one, and the guy pratt book while I was there. Then I saw the Ariane Cap book and thought I would get that too, then I thought, no, I will see if i read the others first!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I ordered one, and the guy pratt book while I was there. Then I saw the Ariane Cap book and thought I would get that too, then I thought, no, I will see if i read the others first!

Wisdom

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I do like a book, briefly what sort of things does it cover , before I order one, thanks 

If you click on the Amazon link he posted, there's a 'look inside' option and you can browse the content's page.

I read that the Damian Erskine book is brilliant and it seemed to be structured in a way that I meant would actually read it. I did a Google to order one and upon seeing a picture of the cover I thought, "hmmm, that rings a bell."

Went over to my music shelf and there it was! 3 years old, unopened and rather dusty! 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I read that the Damian Erskine book is brilliant and it seemed to be structured in a way that I meant would actually read it. I did a Google to order one and upon seeing a picture of the cover I thought, "hmmm, that rings a bell."

Went over to my music shelf and there it was! 3 years old, unopened and rather dusty! 😂

Yup - I did that with an Edgar Meyer cd. Was enjoying it (the 2nd copy) thoroughly and then a melody hit me that I recognised, and lo and behold there was my first copy sitting on a shelf. Hey - at least we're consistent!!!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

8 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Yup - I did that with an Edgar Meyer cd. Was enjoying it (the 2nd copy) thoroughly and then a melody hit me that I recognised, and lo and behold there was my first copy sitting on a shelf. Hey - at least we're consistent!!!

Lol! I'm suddenly feeling a lot less isolated in doing exactly the same with bass books and CDs!

In this case it's clearly not 'wisdom' but 'age'.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Sorry, I meant the book that Gary wrote. I have no view on the course but this book is great and appears to cover much of the same ground.

I’m sure Scott’s course is more in depth and worth the cash, but this seems to be similar at least in terms of content. Arpeggios don’t change, I guess.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fingerboard-Harmony-Bass-Builders/dp/0793560438

You should have been on commission! I think three of us have parted with cash to get Gary Willis' book as a direct result of your recommendation! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

You should have been on commission! I think three of us have parted with cash to get Gary Willis' book as a direct result of your recommendation! 

I hope you enjoy it!

It really helped me. The idea that you can visualise patterns was quite powerful for me. I’ll say that the book is quite dry and will require some concentration, but it’s good fun.

Why don’t you start another thread and we can work through them all together? One exercise every few days or something?

Like an online book group. 

I’ll do it on DB. Be good to get reacquainted with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I hope you enjoy it!

It really helped me. The idea that you can visualise patterns was quite powerful for me. I’ll say that the book is quite dry and will require some concentration, but it’s good fun.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Why don’t you start another thread and we can work through them all together? One exercise every few days or something? Like an online book group. 

That's a nice idea. Based on likely timelines for book usage based on reliable past experience...

6 hours ago, miles'tone said:

...we should get that thread going in summer 2023.

• Haha 1

Hi

Im tempted with this course-  Ive been trying for probably the last 15 years to get into the Gary Willis book and every time I end up losing the will to live! I think Scott is actually a great teacher despite all the slagging he gets for his 'youtuber' style so I might go for it. I wonder how much of the course will be borrowed from the willis book though? Maybe we should start a thread for people who take the accelerator course to compare notes how we get on..

7 minutes ago, Prince_phil said:

I'm tempted with this course -  I've been trying for probably the last 15 years to get into the Gary Willis book and every time I end up losing the will to live! 

On 02/07/2020 at 19:09, Al Krow said:

Based on likely timelines for book usage based on reliable past experience......we should get the Gary Willis book thread going in summer 2023 2035

Late correction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince_phil said:

Hi

Im tempted with this course-  Ive been trying for probably the last 15 years to get into the Gary Willis book and every time I end up losing the will to live! I think Scott is actually a great teacher despite all the slagging he gets for his 'youtuber' style so I might go for it. I wonder how much of the course will be borrowed from the willis book though? Maybe we should start a thread for people who take the accelerator course to compare notes how we get on..

His taster video seems to feature a lot of the flat triangles I recall from and never understood in GW's course.  There can't be any magic unicorns in this course - there's only so many ways you can describe chord shapes on x number of note positions.  But I'm up for recording my progress as we go along, assuming I don't drop out early as I usually do.   

On 19/06/2020 at 15:59, Stub Mandrel said:

Am I the only person concerned that Scott Devine is going all out trying to get me to sign up for an online FAP?

I just got email with subject "fretboard mastery course closes tonight". bet it doesn't

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, toneknob said:

I just got email with subject "fretboard mastery course closes tonight". bet it doesn't

I really wish I hadn't looked at the thing at all, getting really sick of all the ads now. Scott must spend most of his profits on big data advertising. 

On 01/07/2020 at 14:40, miles'tone said:

Ah..

Your chord tones are the 1,3,5,7 of whichever scale you're looking at.

The first inversion is just playing it 3,5,7,1

Second inversion is 5,7,1,3

Third inversion is 7,1,3,5

I know at first it all sounds high falutin but it's not at all.

Inversions are great because it keeps you off just doing mainly the root thing and they make you harmonise in an easy way that sounds more clever than it really is! 😄

Example: I read that cliff in ac/dc plays a lot of thirds instead of the root and fifths that you’d expect. Since he is in the bass clef that’s a first inversion when you consider the third-less chords the others are playing 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I really wish I hadn't looked at the thing at all, getting really sick of all the ads now. Scott must spend most of his profits on big data advertising. 

Should be possible to "unsuscribe" from the emails? 

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Should be possible to "unsuscribe" from the emails? 

It's not so much the emails, it's the fact that everywhere I go online now, whether it's Google, Facebook, YouTube, etc, there's an ad for the fretboard accelerator course... 🤦‍♂️

10 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

It's not so much the emails, it's the fact that everywhere I go online now, whether it's Google, Facebook, YouTube, etc, there's an ad for the fretboard accelerator course... 🤦‍♂️

Ah ok. That's seriously annoying! 

32 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Adblocker should see you right. It’s cookies basically, and the fact that advertising algorithms are very crude. I done ant to detail the thread, but it should take a few seconds to stop that happening. 

Edited by Burns-bass