Why become a member? ×

Fretboard Accelerator Programme aka the Gary Willis book thread

Stub Mandrel

• 2 weeks later...

My worry is it's essentially another set of patterns, although perhaps with a greater accent of flexibility and portability. Looking  at what's offered - a map of various inversions across the fretboard - it's  not that different from how I approach the instrument although obviously far more comprehensive and no doubt with lots of good exercises.

I know there's no point in me making such a long-tern commitment. I'd like to be able to buy short, relatively inexpensive, courses to address particular issues in my playing.

Interesting, I've typed out along reply, but I think I should start a new thread...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My worry is it's essentially another set of patterns, although perhaps with a greater accent of flexibility and portability. Looking  at what's offered - a map of various inversions across the fretboard - it's  not that different from how I approach the instrument although obviously far more comprehensive and no doubt with lots of good exercises.

I know there's no point in me making such a long-tern commitment. I'd like to be able to buy short, relatively inexpensive, courses to address particular issues in my playing.

Interesting, I've typed out along reply, but I think I should start a new thread...

Yeah it's difficult, I know my freedom on the fretboard is nowhere near as good as it could be, but I just don't know if this is worth the cost. I kinda feel like it should be easy enough to figure this out myself? It just seems to be linking triads from each chord tone of the key to form a pattern? I maybe wrong though. 

Plus, my discipline for practicing at the moment is terrible.... 

• Like 1

I've been bombarded with the emails as well together with the offer of $50 off but that still makes the cost high for something that has such a time commitment.

I will admit that the course would probably improve my playing though.

• Like 1

I figured I'd be better off working through Ariane's course on SBL and working through her book in addition rather than doing Scott's add on at high cost course; there's so much on the normal SBL to do without buying more courses, which was the whole point of SBL originally

I looked at the course once and am still getting almost daily emails about it, I only really looked to see if it was $200 or $150

• Like 1

The cheap DIY version is:

Practice arpeggios up and down the neck:

Maj7, Min7, Aug7, Dim7 (in all keys)

Practice them in 1st 2nd and 3rd inversions, always beginning on the lowest note available of the particular chord.

Do that for 30mins a day and soon you will amaze yourself.

You're welcome! 😊

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

[looks up how to figure out inversions] 😬

Ah..

Your chord tones are the 1,3,5,7 of whichever scale you're looking at.

The first inversion is just playing it 3,5,7,1

Second inversion is 5,7,1,3

Third inversion is 7,1,3,5

I know at first it all sounds high falutin but it's not at all.

Inversions are great because it keeps you off just doing mainly the root thing and they make you harmonise in an easy way that sounds more clever than it really is! 😄

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Ah..

Your chord tones are the 1,3,5,7 of whichever scale you're looking at.

The first inversion is just playing it 3,5,7,1

Second inversion is 5,7,1,3

Third inversion is 7,1,3,5

I know at first it all sounds high falutin but it's not at all.

Inversions are great because it keeps you off just doing mainly the root thing and they make you harmonise in an easy way that sounds more clever than it really is! 😄

Of course, that makes sense! Think I just hadn't thought of that as inversions before, even though that's what they are. 

Need to get practicing then! 

Sounding more cleverer than what I actually am is crucial to my ongoing success! 😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TRBboy said:

I keep looking at this course, but it's a lot of money. It does appeal to me though, I find myself stuck in the same patterns.... 

Has anyone else signed up? 

Yep.   I exist to support SD's lifestyle and family.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, miles'tone said:

Invert it! 😉

Well, I don't just play the scale for a fill (😂) , I start at different points and jump around it a bit, but always within that pattern. Am I inverting? 🤔

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

The cheap DIY version is:

Practice arpeggios up and down the neck:

Maj7, Min7, Aug7, Dim7 (in all keys)

Practice them in 1st 2nd and 3rd inversions, always beginning on the lowest note available of the particular chord.

Do that for 30mins a day and soon you will amaze yourself.

You're welcome! 😊

+ 1, 2 and 4 finger positions.  I am concerned it's going to be as old hat as that.  But there is the grace period with money back guarantee.  So if it's too yawn I'll just back out (again).

• Like 2

Buy the Gary Willis fingerboard harmony for bass. Scott is a student of Gary’s (or was) and he’s internalised a lot of this stuff - and for good reason: it’s brilliant.

Gary talks a lot about how to use visual patterns on the bass. Book is cheaper than the course I guess.

Good luck to Scott, seems like a fantastic chap and the courses look brilliant.

As with anything like this what you put in, you get out. When I was teaching I’d get so frustrated with people who expected to internalise concepts in an hour long lesson without practising them at home...

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I couldn't get on with the gary willis fingerboard thing, so I got my money back on that. But the 26 week accelerator course was great, happy I did that one.

Sorry, I meant the book that Gary wrote. I have no view on the course but this book is great and appears to cover much of the same ground.

I’m sure Scott’s course is more in depth and worth the cash, but this seems to be similar at least in terms of content. Arpeggios don’t change, I guess.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fingerboard-Harmony-Bass-Builders/dp/0793560438

• Like 1

As much as like the courses, I am just too scared that enrolling for that class will result in EVEN more emails (spams?) and ads each time I open my laptop (let alone YouTube). I like the guy and the classes, but he is not just going all out as you say, for me, he is just killing his own business. Please Scott, I already subscribed... let me breathe!!

Edited by julfam

13 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Sorry, I meant the book that Gary wrote. I have no view on the course but this book is great and appears to cover much of the same ground.

Actually may be better. Scotts course immediately launched into stuff that I had no idea about, so I was lost from the start.

11 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I’m sure Scott’s course is more in depth and worth the cash, but this seems to be similar at least in terms of content. Arpeggios don’t change, I guess.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fingerboard-Harmony-Bass-Builders/dp/0793560438

Ordered a copy - cheapest new is just £10.85 inc P&P which is definitely worth a punt. No doubt will add to my collection of good intention but-yet-to-be-opened bass books - lol! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ordered a copy - cheapest new is just £10.85 inc P&P which is definitely worth a punt. No doubt will add to my collection of good intention but-yet-to-be-opened bass books - lol! 

I nearly ordered one, and then thought I'd better have a go at this Ariane Cap book I got 6 months ago instead! 😂