Why become a member? ×

Fretboard Accelerator Programme aka the Gary Willis book thread

Stub Mandrel

32 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Adblocker should see you right. It’s cookies basically, and the fact that advertising algorithms are very crude. I done ant to detail the thread, but it should take a few seconds to stop that happening. 

Okay thanks, will have a look into it! 

2 hours ago, toneknob said:

I just got email with subject "fretboard mastery course closes tonight". bet it doesn't

Guarantee it will NOT close tonight..... Scott has deliberately chosen 4th July as the closing date so that tomorrow or Monday he can spin some yarn about “National holiday in America.... some people may not have realised its closing .... yada... yada”.... and give everyone one LAST chance to subscribe....  Don’t forget, even though SBL is based in UK, it’s really aimed at America... why else would everything be priced in US Dollars...... Having said all that, I am a Life Member and I think for the price I paid, it is great value for money.

3 hours ago, TRBboy said:

It's not so much the emails, it's the fact that everywhere I go online now, whether it's Google, Facebook, YouTube, etc, there's an ad for the fretboard accelerator course... 🤦‍♂️

I know what you mean. I opened the fridge earlier and he was in there, telling me all about this great new course...

• Haha 3

Firstly it’s great to read a post which sums up a lot of where I am in my own playing.  I have only played bass as a side line up to last year when I decided to stop playing drums owing to escalating rsi issues in my arm, which I had been battling for six years. As a part time bassist I seemed to develop a reasonable facility on the instrument without really knowing what I was doing. This has continued over the last year but I have improved my fingerboard knowledge a little. 

I have also wrestled with SBL and whilst there is no doubting the educational content and sheer enormity of what  Scott has achieved, the immersive format isn’t right for me as I simply can’t devote enough time to sitting in front of my computer. I work long hours in my own business and find that maybe an hour a day is the most I can manage during the week, (more at the week end although I have to watch my arm!).

The point of the post is to really just say hello as I haven’t been on here too long and to say thanks for posting your stories as it’s encouraging to see more seasoned bass players getting ‘stuck’ in the same areas as myself.  I sincerely hope you all find your own way of navigating through these issues as I will attempt to do. 

As a slight digression, to prevent the problem of being hounded by ads why don’t you try the new browser called Brave. It’s great. I use it in conjunction with the search engine ‘Duck,Duck,Go with none of the problems you describe. Plus it’s nice to get away from the big corporations who just seem to want to spy on us and relieve us of as much money as possible, whilst at the same time supporting smaller more ethical businesses.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by MNY
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 01/07/2020 at 14:40, miles'tone said:

Ah..

Your chord tones are the 1,3,5,7 of whichever scale you're looking at.

The first inversion is just playing it 3,5,7,1

Second inversion is 5,7,1,3

Third inversion is 7,1,3,5

I know at first it all sounds high falutin but it's not at all.

Inversions are great because it keeps you off just doing mainly the root thing and they make you harmonise in an easy way that sounds more clever than it really is! 😄

That's really helpful.  Thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/07/2020 at 11:48, Woodinblack said:

History. I have this relationship with books. I buy them, I put them down, they gather dust.

I love the idea of books, just the practicalities of actually reading them.

Me too. I buy business guru books and never read them - they make a nice pile by the bed to stand my morning cuppa on

I've just ordered the Fingerboard Harmony Gary Willis book.....the pile gets higher

• Like 1

For anyone interested in a report on the progress of FAP, I am entering the third day of the first week, in which the cyle of fourths is applied across the whole fretboard as major triads in three fingerings. Very basic so far but none the worse for that as a back-to-basics reprise.    Polished production, made a good deal more digestible by a rather good and slightly hypnotic backing track which is much nicer than working to a metro gnome.  A faintly surreal note is imparted by a video lighting issue which makes Scott look as if he only has one eye.  

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 6

On 08/07/2020 at 21:56, Reggaebass said:

My copy of the gary Willis book came today, I’ve just had a quick look and I get the idea of it , but i think it’s going to take me a while to grasp the concept , the audio seems very good too .

It’s very logical and simple to follow, but it is bloody tough!

• Like 1

For anyone interested in a further report on the progress of FAP, I am now entering the last two days  in which the cyle of fourths is applied across the whole fretboard as major triads in three fingerings. Scott bills this course as 'brain challenging' and hints strongly if not claims this is a revolutionary game changer with some amazing new ideas. It's not.  Well, if you're a beginner it might be. And judging by other students' comments under the videos a lot of people are getting very excited and therefore a lot from the course.But if like me you have been with Scott a while you'll know all about the three different positions for each triad and have likely worked out how to apply those across the whole fingerboard. So for me it's currently boring and because I haven't a good memory frustrating. That's because very little seems to be going in and I'm still only good at what I've always done. Not his fault, just saying. I'm giving it another three weeks until the deadline for backing out to decide whether to stay with it. Anyone else willing to share their experiences?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pukie said:

Six 😀

I'm sure Scott Devine would approve

Meanwhile, can anyone explain what "a linear approach" is, as mentioned in the title of Mr Willis' book? easy words only please.

Edited by toneknob

2 hours ago, toneknob said:

Meanwhile, can anyone explain what "a linear approach" is, as mentioned in the title of Mr Willis' book? easy words only please.

Edited by miles'tone

3 hours ago, toneknob said:

It’s a step-by-step process that follows a clear logic. 

In this case, you play certain intervals in a prescribed order. The steps are the same wherever you start (so the pattern for G will be the same for b) with no deviation.

I appear to have become a fanboy for this book. I should say that I found it really useful when I was looking at 2 octave scales particularly for playing jazz. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pigman said:

Seven! 😎

Gents you've missed out...

On 04/07/2020 at 11:59, JohnDaBass said:

Ordered one.

On 07/07/2020 at 10:36, ricksterphil said:

Me too. I buy business guru books and never read them - they make a nice pile by the bed to stand my morning cuppa on. I've just ordered the Fingerboard Harmony Gary Willis book.....the pile gets higher

On 07/07/2020 at 12:28, burno70 said:

Yup - just ordered the Gary Willis book. Thanks for the suggestion. Something to get stuck into during this 'working from home' time. I'll probably try it for a week then it will gather dust along with the others :)

It's ten! 😁

• Haha 2