Why become a member? ×

Drive-in gigs - is the future?!

Al Krow

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well the first one happened at the Royal Victoria Country Park in Netley near Southampton organised by SoundLevelEvents

image.png.aa5b29372390b3c496b08a3a3bf23475.png

and turned out to be a bit more successful than we had feared...

image.png.fb6637973b1f72ca2f7e84cb3a4fa5a9.png

And folk got to take their own alcohol.

Good luck with yours @walshy - when / where will you be playing?

It’s at Newark Showground on July 7th. They’re doing 9 nights I think and we are on first I think? It’ll be strange I reckon but it’s a gig and chance to play live! 

AA736191-6F08-439C-B069-BBD5527D1049.png

12CBC828-71B0-4696-9A97-D0AE7EFA0E0F.png

• Like 1

I'd rather be doing a drive in gig than no gig at all. I expect a lot of venues will have suffered so much that even if they do open again their money for bands will be limited. For pubs I expect we might be back in the days of playing for free/ food/ passing round a jar. For those who rely on gigs for their income then I bet they're clamouring for these gigs. 

• Like 1

Yeah we have a FB live stream gig happening this Saturday from a venue in trouble because of the virus so we are playing for free and hoping the venue makes a few quid from donations to be able to trade on and book us later on in the year/next year. It’s also about 100 miles from each of us so will cost us all fuel money. But, sometimes it can’t just be about that, think we need to come together and help music find it’s feet again and come back stronger 🤘

• Like 3

2 hours ago, walshy said:

Yeah we have a FB live stream gig happening this Saturday from a venue in trouble because of the virus so we are playing for free and hoping the venue makes a few quid from donations to be able to trade on and book us later on in the year/next year. It’s also about 100 miles from each of us so will cost us all fuel money. But, sometimes it can’t just be about that, think we need to come together and help music find it’s feet again and come back stronger 🤘

Top man!!

I was kinda thinking along the same lines for our local when it re-opens. He's given me 12 gigs a year shared between my two covers bands over the past 4 years, and that venue has been a real 'mainstay' of our little circuit, although I appreciate we're not anything like in your league, Walshy. It would defo be the right thing to see if my crews would be up for playing for free or at least a much reduced fee for a while.

I totally love the example you're leading with!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Once again, how does set up and performance work? A heavy speaker cabinet can't be carried by two people unless the handles are 2M apart. All musicians must be disciplined enough during performance to stay apart from each other - easy to forget. Any staging has to be delivered, unloaded and constructed with people staying 2M apart. 

4 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

Once again, how does set up and performance work? A heavy speaker cabinet can't be carried by two people unless the handles are 2M apart. All musicians must be disciplined enough during performance to stay apart from each other - easy to forget. Any staging has to be delivered, unloaded and constructed with people staying 2M apart. 

None of these things are an issue if all participants are free of the virus, Shirley..? Are there not tests, now, to indicate if one is infected or not..? Then there's the hand-washing, alcohol gel, face mask stuff; don't these protect folks that have to work together..? How many of the situations mentioned keep people close for 15 minutes or more..? Not such a big deal, I'd say, although sensible precautions would be in order.
Just sayin'. :|

Many people working are ignoring/ being forced to ignore the 2m recommendation. I don’t think it’s a good idea personally but there has to come a time when a certain degree of sensible risk has to be taken. Sadly the much vaunted, and undelivered, track and trace systems are the key to controlling the spread. 
We have been approached for an outdoor gig in a few weeks time but turned  it down when we saw the details. I think they will be very odd events and as it’s not a source of significant income to any of us it didn’t seem the right thing to do, we have suggested another local band where we know a couple of members are struggling financially and they seem keen so it’s worked out well.

32 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

We're all about to move to 1 metre from 2m in England, hopefully by 4th July when pubs reopen. If we don't, there won't be much of a pub trade to go back to come the autumn. 

43 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

Remember being outside the virus isn’t as bad as it is indoors. Also we are about to go to 1m soon, I’ve clients opening pubs/restaurants on 4th July so ‘normality’ isn’t too far away, as long as there isn’t a second spike.

We also had some face masks made too just in case.

12BBFBDF-8833-4B90-9A87-EA8800C83848.jpeg

Edited by walshy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...