Why become a member? ×

Drive-in gigs - is the future?!

Al Krow

Live Nation are doing a series of 300-car gigs this summer at Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Liverpool and London. A bunch of B-listers have been signed up: Ash, Dizzee Rascal, The Lightning Seeds and Gary Numan, The Streets and Tony Hadley, I guess 'cos ticket sales and budgets are limited.

Concert-goers will be able to stand outside their vehicles in allocated spaces, or sit in their own fold-out chairs, but banned from bringing their own food!

If this is the future; it's bleak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53090354

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Likely result ...

qhimvGe.jpg

I'm not joking, that reminds me of a gig we did (stupidly) on World Cup Final day, at a sport event attended by about 400 people and at which the organiser promised us there would be no TV. There was, and everyone watched it, except ONE person :) 

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

If you drive in to a venue in your own car, just how exactly are they going to ensure that nobody brings in any food? Sniffer dogs? Deep probe ransackings?

Just what I was thinking, like the cinema but with MUCH bigger pockets for stuff.

Presumably the drummer will have to set up in a van, or a car like the Pope's. I can use my BF Midget and Elf from my Picanto, but really the whole thing does seem a little impractical.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

Well the first one happened at the Royal Victoria Country Park in Netley near Southampton organised by SoundLevelEvents

image.png.aa5b29372390b3c496b08a3a3bf23475.png

and turned out to be a bit more successful than we had feared...

image.png.fb6637973b1f72ca2f7e84cb3a4fa5a9.png

And folk even got to take their own alcohol! 

Good luck with yours @walshy - when / where will you be playing?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1