Why become a member? ×

I know this has been asked, but..

BomBomBomBom

Hey guys, really sorry to join and ask an age old question but I'm looking for answers regarding two specific amp models rather than a general bicker about it. The Models in question are both TE GP12SMX Combos. 

With that said... *ducks for cover*

4x10 or 1x15?

I'm looking for the best for a balance of low grunt and some nice high end, just really don't want to get caught out with one that can only really do one. 

Cheers

I kind of knew that would be the case, one of the guys doesn't really want me coming in the house because he's vulnerable though, he said he can send me a vid of all the features working but not really the same. I'm not too bothered about the weight tbh, spent years touring 4x racks of Crest CA18s which came in at about 220kg so this should be fine 

I had the 1x15 SMX combo and it was superb. I only got rid as I moved on to seperate TE heads and cabs. As loud as you needed it to be and relatively portable at 30kgs.

Beware the 2x10 version. Sounds great but adds another 10kgs.

The 4x10 is around 50kgs.

EDIT - Sorry I was just posting this at the same time as the OP was posting the above 🙄

Edited by Deedee
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gary mac said:

I had the 1 x 15" and gigged with it for many years. I also had a 2 x 10" extension cab, which for me, made it an awesome rig. Increasing decrepitude (me, not the rig), made it necessary for a change to Mark Bass. 

I've played through that combination too - oodles of trouser flapping. Sounds like the 1x15 is the way to go, and just add a 2x10 if you find you need it.

• Like 1

The 4x10 is rated the same as the 1x15 ie 250 watts at 4ohms, so they'll both need an extension cab to get the full 250 watts. However, I very much doubt you'll be struggling for volume with either. Photo of a page from the SMX brochure attached.

The previous Trace ranges (MkV for example) used to quote 165 watts for a 250 watt head running at 8ohms.

EDIT - Obviously speaker surface area also comes into play when choosing between the two but others can discuss that at far greater length than me! 😣

B3F18B74-385C-40DD-9A9B-B12B459A9169.jpeg

Edited by Deedee
  • Thanks 1

Huge thanks for that DeeDee, that's hugely helpful. I'm right in assuming that I can buy a single 15 cab to extend a 4x10 combo?

I am a former system tech for large event sound systems so pretty good idea of speaker workings etc., just wasn't sure about the processing and impedance of these particular combos. 

Just now, BomBomBomBom said:

Huge thanks for that DeeDee, that's hugely helpful. I'm right in assuming that I can buy a single 15 cab to extend a 4x10 combo?

I am a former system tech for large event sound systems so pretty good idea of speaker workings etc., just wasn't sure about the processing and impedance of these particular combos. 

Yes, the 1053 is the 1x15 cab to look for. 👍

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BomBomBomBom said:

Just been in PMT getting told that the 15 will only be putting out about 150w as a combo. Wondering if the 4x10 might have more power? Loudness is definitely a priority for me but I can't find any info on the impedance of the 4x10 drivers

I never had a problem getting heard with that particular 150 watts. 👍

• Like 2

Watts are not about loudness, dBs are.

My Glockenklang Soul combo was 38.5 kg (measured), which was the only reason I separated the amp (12 kg) and the cab (go figure) from each other. It was far easier to carry one at a time. I actually bought a lighter 2 x 12" cab.

Soul amp is only 440 W, but that seems to be enough power to drive any cab in a band context. Those Trace watts would probably be enough, too.