Why become a member? ×

VVT vs VT VT

sshorepunk

Hi

I got a new jazz a few weeks back, after several years of playing a jazz with VVT, the new bass had VT VT

i noticed very low output from bridge pick up, compared to neck pickup and an overall more aggressive sound that what I was used to in my 64 CS jazz, to the point where I was thinking a p/up change might be needed

so I opted for a new plate with VVT from KiOgos, which came yesterday! These look great, got the soldering iron out to disconnect the old plate and then two minutes to fit the new one 😎

what a difference!! Balanced output from both pickups and big change in sound, much smoother and more what I would expect from a jazz, more typical jazz sound!

i know there people who are advocates of VT VT, but not for me, VVT all the way, it’s what I’m used too and the difference between the two was very obvious 

Tony

95E189F5-C098-4F91-9087-E8F7FA969B0F.jpeg

15 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Glad you're happier with your bass now. But rather than it being a VT VT vs VVT issue, could it have been a capacitor issue in the VT VT and the KioGon loom just had capacitors which suit your sound more? Just a thought 😊

Yes, I thought that as well

you can see the capacitors in the photo! the VVT is much simpler 

not sure on the history of the plate that was in the bass!

Tony

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I prefer a volume/pan pot but a volume/volume set up on the right bass wouldn't be a problem. I prefer combined tone controls for all pickups, so that'll be VPT or VVT.

VVT works for me, what I’m used to in a jazz

T

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering why your bridge pup was quieter? Maybe there were mismatched capacitors or somehow more resistance on the bridge controls? Or was the the tone just backed off? Either way it obviously wasn't the pickups so good job you didn't go that route. I know Jaco would've agreed with you - he did the same conversion to his Jazz! I've always used VVT on a Jazz, VT VT can have lower output and just more room for error in real world situation though I bet you can also get some cool sounds with it.