Why become a member? ×

Boring basses

Thunderbird

On 18/06/2020 at 22:10, Thunderbird said:

At the risk of being stoned to death I have decided that in my opinion I find Precision and Jazz basses really boring I'm not saying that I think they are rubbish just boring who agrees and what basses do you guys think are boring 

Obviously gonna be a very subjective topic.

when you say boring do you mean looks, sound or just generally everything about them.

Some basses i find boring to look at but they sound good enough. Ibanez basses in particular i find boring to look at but having owned a couple over the years they are well made and good to play basses with a variety of usable tones. 

I find this general shape of bass boring to look at. I find humbucker style pick ups have a boring tone and lack the warmth of P or J pick ups. Its all down to personal taste tho 

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTBPRUXdMX5P_u1vNNWe9ECshaNJK3T6dr4I2wuNLzPY9rE-n9Q1VCB4VLF6H15RJwFa-yU1iWV&usqp=CAc

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Obviously gonna be a very subjective topic.

when you say boring do you mean looks, sound or just generally everything about them.

Some basses i find boring to look at but they sound good enough. Ibanez basses in particular i find boring to look at but having owned a couple over the years they are well made and good to play basses with a variety of usable tones. 

I find this general shape of bass boring to look at. I find humbucker style pick ups have a boring tone and lack the warmth of P or J pick ups. Its all down to personal taste tho 

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTBPRUXdMX5P_u1vNNWe9ECshaNJK3T6dr4I2wuNLzPY9rE-n9Q1VCB4VLF6H15RJwFa-yU1iWV&usqp=CAc

I think it is everything in general I know p basses are a go to for most and I do like the sound of lots of records where p basses are used funnily enough I like active basses with humbuckers but like you said it's all very personal 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, redbandit599 said:

Tort scratch plates are the bass equivalent of a beige cardigan - put one on any bass (but especially a natural wood one) and it'll soon be passing you a Werthers Original and smelling faintly of wee. 

I like them on sunburst P basses with Rosewood necks but then again i'm retired and drive a Volvo too.

Has that cat been in the litter tray...............naw its me :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Especially for you :P wot a soulless dreary monstrosity eh? :lol: :lol: 

jbass19-2.jpg

I've no doubt it's a sublime bass, perfectly made and a joy to behold but you've got to admit, with that colour scheme it does kind of look like the morning after xD ;)

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2020 at 11:51, sykilz said:

image.jpeg.bc40c646504db82b3b13b6b2e617ffbb.jpeg

Always wanted one of these. And to be fair, it does look fairly comfy too as the body is quite tiny where you pluck. These desperate times are screaming for bright shiny pointy guitars and bubblegum lyrics. 😉👍🤘👍

I have a white one just like this. Great looking bass and pretty comfy to play too....!

• Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 17:04, Osiris said:

I've no doubt it's a sublime bass, perfectly made and a joy to behold but you've got to admit, with that colour scheme it does kind of look like the morning after xD ;)

If you think that's a minger try a "sunburst" Shergold for dreary

1970s Shergold Marathon MK1A Stereo Bass Sunburst UK-Made Hayman Burns

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Basically any brown burst bass (or guitar) is going to look pretty dreary. Put a tort guard on it and basically you have arrived at the 1980's nissan sunny with a vinyl roof. Or maybe a cortina.

Edited by Woodinblack

29 minutes ago, Nicko said:

1970s Shergold Marathon MK1A Stereo Bass Sunburst UK-Made Hayman Burns

I quite like that. Am i weird or mentally disturbed. Guess i've always liked Shergolds since owning this monster 4&8

old photos_0004_NEW (2).jpg

• Like 1

On 18/06/2020 at 22:10, Thunderbird said:

At the risk of being stoned to death I have decided that in my opinion I find Precision and Jazz basses really boring I'm not saying that I think they are rubbish just boring who agrees and what basses do you guys think are boring 

Any bass can be boring just as any song can be boring.

It all depends on context. 

Playing Mustang Sally to three blokes, a landlord and the pub dog is boring whatever the instrument.

Playing Mustang Sally to a crowded pub at the end of the best set you’ve ever played to punters who are all having the time of their lives and singing at the tops of their voice is one of those life-affirming moments that is not diminished by a Sunburst P with a tort’ guard.

• Like 2

On 19/06/2020 at 05:47, Maude said:

@Ricky 4000 Not wishing to derail this thread but I had an Amazon when I was younger and that picture isn't far off what it looked like. I worked in a Volvo garage and wanted to annoy all the fuddy duddy owners so roof chopped it, de-chromed and dropped it on the deck. The only real difference was I had American spec towel rail bumpers, wheels the same as the A Team van and it was painted surf green. It was a two door 123s and I only found out years later that it was a very rare model with the same twin carb engine as the P1800s (The Saint car). It had well over 100bhp as standard which was prenty good for a standard 60s car.

Sorry, back to boring basses. 

Is there a whole thread we could do on existing Volvos?! My first car was a Volvo... 

• Haha 1

On 22/06/2020 at 17:04, Osiris said:

I've no doubt it {my Shuker} is a sublime bass, perfectly made and a joy to behold but you've got to admit, with that colour scheme it does kind of look like the morning after xD ;)

8 hours ago, Nicko said:

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Basically any brown burst bass (or guitar) is going to look pretty dreary.

A dreary minger that looks like 'the morning after'... If I was the sensitive type, I'd start to take this thread personally. :( 

Edited by Rich
  • Haha 1