Why become a member? ×

Boring basses

Thunderbird

23 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Some great replies here 

I'm not keen on coffee table basses either but appreciate the skills used to make them 

Just thought of another I like some metal style basses and they are normally black I don't mind black basses but it's boring when lots of basses you fancy are always black lol

And don't get me started on burst and tort lol

... because it’s a fabulous combo beloved by the Gods 

there you go, I finished your sentence with The Truth 

2 hours ago, mikel said:

Was Foxtons signature sound not the Ric?

It's too early to remember exactly but from memery there was quite a bit of Rick for looks P for sound, as in Top of the Pops, videos, etc got the Rick but he recorded with a P. There was a time line where he started with the Rick but moving progressively towards a P more and more. I think nowadays in From The Jam he's exclusively a P man. 

I'm sure others will correct me on the exact details but that's the jist of it I think. 🙂

1 hour ago, Maude said:

It's too early to remember exactly but from memery there was quite a bit of Rick for looks P for sound, as in Top of the Pops, videos, etc got the Rick but he recorded with a P. There was a time line where he started with the Rick but moving progressively towards a P more and more. I think nowadays in From The Jam he's exclusively a P man. 

I'm sure others will correct me on the exact details but that's the jist of it I think. 🙂

Yeah, this is pretty much it. Certainly as The Jam went on, Bruce began using the P in a live situation almost exclusively.

30 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Agreed, in fact the wilder shapes can be lost in black, especially against black clothing on a darkened stage. I know it's not the 80's anymore but a little more variety and garishness in metal instruments wouldn't go amiss. Even though BC Rich sit in with Alembic as some of the earlier 'coffee table' basses, I find it interesting that they have leant back towards that approach with some of their more agressive models, creating a strange mix of the high-class and the obnoxious.

What I would personally like to see more of are black/dark tinted woods, instead of black paint to cover it all. 

While retaining the 'elegance' of the black, it adds the nuances of the beauty of the underlying wood/patterns/depth and so on. It also helps break an all-black pattern for tricky lighting situations.

Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 12.02.49.png

19 minutes ago, sykilz said:

image.jpeg.bc40c646504db82b3b13b6b2e617ffbb.jpeg

Always wanted one of these. And to be fair, it does look fairly comfy too as the body is quite tiny where you pluck. These desperate times are screaming for bright shiny pointy guitars and bubblegum lyrics. 😉👍🤘👍

Interesting... What is it?

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

I like the BC Rich Beast- it takes the Warlock and amplifies the spikiness to super vicious levels, with a magma-hot translucent red finish. There's no mistaking the intent of this one, and being designed by one of the Hoffman brothers from Deicide helps with the OTT credentials.

Beast.thumb.jpg.5eb43f0dde1d606e8c83040639b268f9.jpg

I also like that the other way up, it looks like it's been caught ballet dancing while it thought no one was looking!

173505561_DancingBeast.jpg.f9c0f6c5fb1464a1e45e3db9ef53e5e7.jpg

I wouldn't mind one of those, but only in case somebody breaks in in the middle of the night.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

I like the BC Rich Beast- it takes the Warlock and amplifies the spikiness to super vicious levels, with a magma-hot translucent red finish. There's no mistaking the intent of this one, and being designed by one of the Hoffman brothers from Deicide helps with the OTT credentials.

Beast.thumb.jpg.5eb43f0dde1d606e8c83040639b268f9.jpg

Not for the blues players..... 😛

On 19/06/2020 at 16:02, Maude said:

a ska band called Ratrace played, and rather excellent they were too, but the bass player was using a Steinberger or Hohner cricket bat type bass

Earl Falconer used to play one of them... I remember they were very popular basses for reggae.

Reggae, ska / ska, reggae.

display.php?area=live&id=3685&size=full

5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I own cardigans too.

2 hours ago, Maude said:

I'd better put on a nice heavy knit cardigan then! 

Cardigan, reggae / reggae, cardigan.

:)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Earl Falconer used to play one of them... I remember they were very popular basses for reggae.

Flabba holt played one too, 

8 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Cardigan, reggae / reggae, cardigan

OMG Does this mean I’ve got to get a cardigan image.gif.9a752fabe17347087d78a3d192a15326.gif

• Haha 1