Why become a member? ×

Boring basses

Thunderbird

14 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I own 2 precisions and a fecking Volvo, my 5th in 36 years! I also have several fleeces which probably count as the 21st century equivalent of cardigans. . . . . . .  no hope for me then!

At least you're not an accountant...

• Like 1

Boring bass is a hard term to quantify, in as far as has been said, it's surely the player that is boring, but I guess maybe the image that the bass lends to the player can be boring...? 
I can never find the Fenders boring as my favourite two bassists are Steve Harris and Geddy Lee, and I grew up musically in the mid eighties so I love the futuristic and pointy basses and sleek new designs. The only design/image combo that I personally would consider boring are those huge semi acoustic things with "f" holes on them. I find them ok visually but can't imagine anything musically exciting happening on them. 

image.thumb.jpeg.93c57ad9b83b08bd32466dc97d579f8c.jpeg

2 minutes ago, sykilz said:

Boring bass is a hard term to quantify, in as far as has been said, it's surely the player that is boring, but I guess maybe the image that the bass lends to the player can be boring...? 
I can never find the Fenders boring as my favourite two bassists are Steve Harris and Geddy Lee, and I grew up musically in the mid eighties so I love the futuristic and pointy basses and sleek new designs. The only design/image combo that I personally would consider boring are those huge semi acoustic things with "f" holes on them. I find them ok visually but can't imagine anything musically exciting happening on them. 

image.thumb.jpeg.93c57ad9b83b08bd32466dc97d579f8c.jpeg

I really like that, what is it sykilz 🙂

Got a Labrador (well almost as he’s also part red setter) and I’ve always driven Fords including a couple of Fiestas - the most ubiquitous car in the UK, but well made and unflinchingly reliable.

So since bass playing is my escape from such ordinariness; I have always felt that my choice of basses must resist going down the most popular and iconic route of Fender or Gibson and their copyists - however highly regarded these basses are.

Edited by Krysbass

Boring basses for me tonally tend to be expensive active basses. Yes they are very versatile with their on board pre-amps but most active basses sound sterile and a bit soulless to me, they often lack the character of a good passive instrument. I'll take one or 2 great sounds over a million mediocre ones. 

In terms of aesthetics, it's the drab and dreary sunburst monstrosities that bore me. And tort scratch plates, I don't understand why anyone thinks they look good, but each to their own. Needless to say for me, a turdburst and tort combination is about the least attractive finish on any bass whatever brand and regardless of cost. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sykilz said:

Hold on....I just did a google search for  semi acoustic bass and it cropped up....it's a Musima 1657B apparently quite rare..!!!

I’m liking that too. Not sure about 3 strings though, probably 1 or 2 more than needed on that beauty....🤣

Not sure whether the OP means they look boring or sound boring.  For sure the aesthetics are not their strongest point but I don't buy instruments for the way they look.  Hammers are boring, but if you want to nail something together they do the job.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Not sure whether the OP means they look boring or sound boring.  For sure the aesthetics are not their strongest point but I don't buy instruments for the way they look.  Hammers are boring, but if you want to nail something together they do the job.

Whilst I agree with you in principal, you can’t get away from the fact that it’s usually the done thing to have a bass that is right for the gig, both sonically and visually.

Maybe it would be fun to start a thread called ‘ Most inappropriate bass’ , or ‘This bass is at the wrong gig’ ? 😀

16 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I find it hard to be bored by much basswise. Fenders can have a certain classiness, and provide great tones. I think I might say that they can be overfamiliar rather than genuinely boring. They're pretty ubiquitous, but there are numerous good reasons for that.

Personally, I love plain and simple basses as much as wild and crazy ones.

Yep, that would be my interpretation of 'boring', ubiquitous through over-copying, much in the same way the Strat has become an over-familiar guitar design.

13 hours ago, Maude said:

JJ Burnell and Bruce Foxton made quite an inspiring racket. 🙂

Yes, although I associate Bruce Foxton in my mind more with a clanky Rickenbacker tone. Also John Wetton makes a P Bass sound exciting on those classic era King Crimson albums.

Edited by EdLib-3

I don't find any bass boring per-se in terms of visuals but I don't like vanilla sounding basses with no character.

Since I started playing, I've always been attracted to Basses with very unique sounds (Modulus, Wal, Rickenbacker, Travis Bean, Warwick etc). Basses I don't like are usually high-end boutique, coffee table stuff, for the reason that they always seem to sound very generic and polite, with no unique voice. I'm not saying they're bad basses at all. Same reason I don't like Ibanez, just quite generic sounding to me. Horses for courses and all that. 

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Osiris said:

most active basses sound sterile and a bit soulless to me... In terms of aesthetics, it's the drab and dreary sunburst monstrosities that bore me....

*glances over at Shuker active tobacco sunburst bass*
*decides not to say anything*
🤐

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Whilst I agree with you in principal, you can’t get away from the fact that it’s usually the done thing to have a bass that is right for the gig, both sonically and visually.

Maybe it would be fun to start a thread called ‘ Most inappropriate bass’ , or ‘This bass is at the wrong gig’ ? 😀

Yes, I definitely agree. My Shuker is a thing of beauty, but sonically at least it would be completely wrong for my ska band. My Sire V7 is ideal, as it's a far more 'traditional' look and tone. When I joined the band, they gave me some live recordings to learn along with... one of the bassists they'd worked with had been a superb player, very competent indeed, but her bass (never found out what it was) sounded totally wrong for the job -- a nice tone, but far too modern and hi-fi and smiley-face-EQd for the music. When I heard that, I just knew my Shuke would never see a ska gig :lol:  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

*glances over at Shuker active tobacco sunburst bass*
*decides not to say anything*
🤐

Please don't post a picture of it otherwise I'll report you to err... you, I guess?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

I don't find any bass boring per-se in terms of visuals but I don't like vanilla sounding basses with no character.

Since I started playing, I've always been attracted to Basses with very unique sounds (Modulus, Wal, Rickenbacker, Travis Bean, Warwick etc). Basses I don't like are usually high-end boutique, coffee table stuff, for the reason that they always sound very generic and polite, with no unique voice. I'm not saying they're bad basses at all. Same reason I don't like Ibanez, just boringly generic sounding to me. Horses for courses and all that. 

I have started getting in to the "coffee table" look in recent months, not sure why but my recent Status purchase confirmed that!

With you on Ibanez basses though, I have owned a few of the SDGR basses and have always found them very "meh" Well built, decent looking and sounding but just "Meh" overall?

2505_3_1435.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

I have started getting in to the "coffee table" look in recent months, not sure why but my recent Status purchase confirmed that!

With you on Ibanez basses though, I have owned a few of the SDGR basses and have always found them very "meh" Well built, decent looking and sounding but just "Meh" overall?

2505_3_1435.jpg

That Status is lovely! Don't get me wrong, It's not the look of boutique basses. It the way they mostly don't tend to have very unique voices. I totally get some people desire that ability, but for me, I love a distinctive tone.

• Like 1

Nah - Ibanez SR Premiums with their immensely playable necks, balanced and comfortable weight and very decent 3 band EQ with selectable mid centre points and meaty growl delivered from their big Nord singles are wonderful basses!

I get a lot of unsolicited compliments about how great my Ibby looks and sounds from punters and musicians alike. 

ABM! 

Edited by Al Krow
Anything but meh!

I find P basses a bit lacking in flexibility.  But not everyone wants flexibility.  Plus they seem to sit well in x, y and z without any 'flexibility' which is why people use them, and they are trusted etc. etc.  Each to their own.

I had a couple of Jazz basses though... I quite liked them!

Edited by odysseus