Why become a member? ×

Boring basses

Thunderbird

Yikes I sense the Basschat fatwahs being prepared. I'd agree, I've never found P basses to be inspiring soundwise - with the exception of Matt Freeman from Rancid's tone on the Precision Bass. Epiphone Rivoli basses being another that for me could be used as an effective insomnia treatment.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I can understand where you’re coming from, even though I’m a die hard Fender fan boi. I suppose due to the number of them around they can seem a bit Volvo & Labrador.

Oh feck, one out of a possible two AND I own a precision. 
at least I don’t own a fecking Volvo, or a cardigan 

DCB6A3DA-B4DE-485F-9B28-DF82C1E87D01.jpeg

AC323F32-3DBE-4BB5-AD9A-E146719FBFFF.jpeg

C8B061CA-8B37-4ADE-90C7-C4BD8E731A2F.png

• Like 2

Fancy natural wood basses. 

I really love some of the woods involved and used for furniture I could really enjoy it. But I've yet to see a fancy natural wood bass and felt inspired to play it, I just see them and think meh. I think maybe they appear too polite to me when I like a bit of attitude. My first thought when I see one is that the owner's going to try and put me in a fusion coma with it. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, EdLib-3 said:

I've never found P basses to be inspiring soundwise - with the exception of Matt Freeman from Rancid's tone on the Precision Bass. 

JJ Burnell and Bruce Foxton made quite an inspiring racket. 🙂

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Volvos are the height of fashion at the moment. 😗

Fashion! 

I can't believe women are showing their............. 

........... oh, Volvos. 

Yeah carry on. :$

• Haha 2

@Ricky 4000 Not wishing to derail this thread but I had an Amazon when I was younger and that picture isn't far off what it looked like. I worked in a Volvo garage and wanted to annoy all the fuddy duddy owners so roof chopped it, de-chromed and dropped it on the deck. The only real difference was I had American spec towel rail bumpers, wheels the same as the A Team van and it was painted surf green. It was a two door 123s and I only found out years later that it was a very rare model with the same twin carb engine as the P1800s (The Saint car). It had well over 100bhp as standard which was prenty good for a standard 60s car.

Sorry, back to boring basses. 

• Like 4

Fancy figured timber P & J basses. :D 

The myriad of copies of the ubiquitous Fender P & J basses. Fender do plenty of variations on the theme, as do loads of other companies, at all price points in the market.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I can understand where you’re coming from, even though I’m a die hard Fender fan boi. I suppose due to the number of them around they can seem a bit Volvo & Labrador.

Hey steady on Lozz,you'll hurt Pippa's feelings

FB_IMG_1495623141601.jpg

• Like 1

I actually find the P one of the basses with most characters ever. When you hear a P you know is a P, straight away. That's for me is character, so no boring at all. J slightly less, but still. Plus they are the basses they have been around for longer, so you have a massive choice of years, material, configurations, colours..... Too much fun to be even considered boring.

There are basses that sound boring and without character, generally most J replicas, especially if they cost £1500+, and I find Bartolini pickups the most uninspired, plain, boring.

I mainly play jazzes and my P with a jazz neck, but I can’t say I’ve found any basses boring really,   there’s some  that don’t appeal to me looks wise,    and I’ve had a few that didn’t excite me as much as I thought they would , but overall I just like all things bass 🙂

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I mainly play jazzes and my P with a jazz neck, but I can’t say I’ve found any basses boring really,   there’s some  that don’t appeal to me looks wise,    and I’ve had a few that didn’t excite me as much as I thought they would , but overall I just like all things bass 🙂

+1. I’ll echo  RB’s statement and @Al Krow, some players/ songs are boring. 

I find  some bass tones a bit bland, but not necessarily boring. There’s certainly some basses I don’t like the look of or think are overrated .... I’ll throw in some controversy and say sunburst and black basses are boring! 

Note: off to hide somewhere and not log on for a week while the black and burst boys get it all out of their systems ... 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Oh feck, one out of a possible two AND I own a precision. 
at least I don’t own a fecking Volvo, or a cardigan

I own 2 precisions and a fecking Volvo, my 5th in 36 years! I also have several fleeces which probably count as the 21st century equivalent of cardigans. . . . . . .  no hope for me then!

• Haha 2

Just now, chris_b said:

I own 2 precisions and a fecking Volvo, my 5th in 36 years! I also have several fleeces which probably count as the 21st century equivalent of cardigans. . . . . . .  no hope for me then!

Get a Labrador for a full house Chris. 😂

• Like 1