Why become a member? ×

Practice rooms

danbowskill

Our local rehearsal studios are re-opening and we’ve made a tentative booking for first week of July. We’re going to see how we feel at the time about five of us in a fairly confined space. The studio we use does have an outside door that we can leave open which is a plus and they’re having gaps for cleaning and disinfectant between bands. Not sure how I feel about it yet but gotta get back to some sort of normality at some point! We’re all missing the playing..

we've got one this Wednesday, big room, well away from each other, I suppose it's not strictly following the current guidelines, but a damned sight safer than public transport or going shopping and we're all allowed to got to work, just because we enjoy it doesn't make it not work, we get paid for gigs

The rooms we use are still closed and expect to stay like that for a little while yet, they started a crowdfunder last week to help keep them afloat and they hit their 5k target in under 48 hours! now they've set a stretch goal and any extra money is going on improving the spaces and the kit, we're on very good terms with them and i think they are one of the best rooms in our area and run by very enthusiastic guys.

Our normal room is pretty small (the smallest one there) so we don't expect to be back for a while, in the mean time we've put some money into the kitty and will sit tight.

one of the rewards was to nickname a room, some of these have been taken (at 500 quid a room) so i'm looking forward to seeing what names they are given! we went for buying a step, we get to decorate it anyu way we like so that will be a fun discussion with the other band members.

Matt

I had a socially distanced jam with a guitarist the other day (was great to play loud again!!) and the studio I use for my band has been open for a while, but only for solo use. I'm itching to play with a full band again and the studios are opening up properly on July 4th, but I think we're going to see what's happening with infection rates etc before we jump back in. 

On 18/06/2020 at 21:15, danbowskill said:

It feels like it's been yonks since my band has rehearsed because of all the chaos.

Anyone had their usual rehearsal, practice space, studio reopen yet?

Really destroying the soul not having that loud satisfying buzz of live band jamming

Got an email from ours that they are opening on 4th July. Might get a room as soon as i can get everyone together. The rooms are big enough, and each has its own door way from the yard, so we wouldn’t need to go through any buildings (all booked and paid for on line). 

Had a note from our studio saying that they are re-assessing their opening strategy due to the fact that an enclosed space increases the risk of catching Covid19 due to droplets put into the air when singing.

This looks like a sensible move since a similar situation exists for theatres and venues, and it must be similar for pubs.

I think what makes a big difference (for me anyway) is when you're practising you're in a room with a limited number of people who you know have no symptoms, whereas in any public place who knows who you're interacting with

edit, but at the end of the day it's what your own attitude to risk is

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, naxos10 said:

Had a note from our studio saying that they are re-assessing their opening strategy due to the fact that an enclosed space increases the risk of catching Covid19 due to droplets put into the air when singing.

This looks like a sensible move since a similar situation exists for theatres and venues, and it must be similar for pubs.

Yes, the government have said no live music yet in pubs for this reason. 

On 24/06/2020 at 13:17, MacDaddy said:

Got a rehearsal booked on Monday.

i'll report back...

So. We got there to find the gate locked.

Many messages to phone, Twitter and Facebook later, the Father of the owner turned up to let us in. TBF he said to add the time on we'd lost at the end.

Once in there was a disclaimer to sign. Not sure if we all should have done one each, but the drummer (who had made the booking) did it for the band.

I suppose social distancing was possible in the room, but it's an enclosed space as you can see below.

Even though this was the first time we have seen each in four months - let alone rehearsed together - we did a live stream thing, which turned out to be quite successful.

We did a sound/level check first by Facetiming the singers son. To make sure I could be heard I turned the amp bass EQ off, boosted the low mids, and had a fiddle with the treble. Not a sound I would use at a proper gig, but it did the job through an iphone.

It felt so good to finally playing in a band again, and it did feel like we were doing a proper gig :)