Why become a member? ×

Further EBay Shenanigans

My father in law had something similar happen with a model train he sold: a high value item that was working perfectly prior to sale (he actually filmed it steaming - just to keep the memory of it, train-fiend that he is).

Shortly after the sale he got a message asking for a partial refund as the steam action was not working.

After careful consideration we decided to ask for the item to be returned - this would have cost us the return postage as well as a full refund and risked the customer sending back a different item. Predictably enough, it was suddently found to be working properly and the request dropped.

I've used Ebay for 20 years with almost no issues whatsoever but there is clearly a growing trend for buyer's remorse leading to a request for a parital refund on spurious grounds. Ebay and PayPal are not your friends in this and will inevitably decide against you.

I would advise the course of action we took - effectively a calling of the bluff but, as I say, it's not without its own risks. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

Pay the £50 to get it to go away Nick. Nothing else is worth the hassle, eBay's case resolution algorithms make some daft decisions, and given you could end up with a sax coming back (possibly in worse shape than it left you) and refunding postage both ways, £50's cheap

• Like 1

I had a similar situation when I sent a pair of speakers to someone in Spain. The packaging was faultless and there's no question that they arrvied there as they left here. I received an email a month or so later dmeanding money back, and I ignored it. 

I had an indentical experience with a 70s strat that I sold to a chap in France. Same deal and I ignored him too. In fact, I went to the extremes of closing my Paypal account down to stop him claiming the money back (which he didn't attempt, thankfully). 

10 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

In fact, I went to the extremes of closing my Paypal account down to stop him claiming the money back (which he didn't attempt, thankfully). 

Someone on here did that a few years back, ended up at the receiving end of a summons and lost a lot more than the original amount he thought he was protecting. Understandable strategy when faced with a dodgy buyer, but PayPal are pretty tight on this stuff

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Someone on here did that a few years back, ended up at the receiving end of a summons and lost a lot more than the original amount he thought he was protecting. Understandable strategy when faced with a dodgy buyer, but PayPal are pretty tight on this stuff

Nonsense! Just close all your bank accounts, buy a false passport and travel to South-America for a new life with someone you can love. Done.
Other than that, what Beedster says.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Nonsense! Just close all your bank accounts, buy a false passport and travel to South-America for a new life with someone you can love. Done.
Other than that, what Beedster says.

I like your style Mr. Biggs. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I'm not an eBay expert, but it may not be as plain sailing as it would seem from your point of view.

I won't bore you with the details, but I had a similar experience recently (+ve feedback received and then a message of complaint after some time - slightly less than yours).

I spoke to eBay in person and they indicated that if the buyer were to take it further and demand a refund that they would probably get it as 'item not as described'. I was not a happy bunny.

As it turned out, the seller didn't take it further, partly due to my insistence that the defect was caused by them. I managed a small victory with eBay with the agreement that if the buyer did take it further and they refunded them that ebay would then also refund me as a gesture of good will (I was seething during my initial phone call). This was a fairly low cost item though and eBay wanted to keep everyone happy. I can't see them going that far for the price of a sax though. 

I really hope it doesn't end badly for you. We all know you're a decent chap and you certainly don't deserve this crap.

I’ve had that too, with an obviously Whingy and vexatious buyer trying to get a freebie. She didn’t like the colour (fair enough) but sent it back damaged and smelling of cigarette smoke

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I'm sure I wouldn't have let it get that far. What I was most worried about was their power to seize money and claim it from your bank which I still find a little strange, particularly as they don't seem to investigate these claims, but merely side with the buyer in teh majority of cases. 

Had it been for a trivial amount or I was in the wong, I'd accept a few quid but not the £1,200 it could have cost. Anyway, all was well in the end as I'm sure it will be with this one .

45 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I’ve had that too, with an obviously Whingy and vexatious buyer trying to get a freebie. She didn’t like the colour (fair enough) but sent it back damaged and smelling of cigarette smoke

🤢🤮 - stale cigarette smoke smelling items. One of my least favourite things ever.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

🤢🤮 - stale cigarette smoke smelling items. One of my least favourite things ever.

I sold everything I owned and binned my cable bag when the smoking law came in. I used to hate driving home from gigs with the car stinking of fags

Should've offered her the £50, or whatever it was she wanted, but said that you don't trust any other means of getting it to her other than collection in person, look what happened to the sax after all. See if she comes to get it. 

• Haha 4

I think most would-be eBay scammers try it on once to see what they can get out of it. I sold some condenser mic's recently. They were well used and marked (and described as such) but perfectly functional. One bloke tried the "it doesn't look perfect" routine - he even went to the lengths of sending a photo of a minor scratch I had missed when I took my own photos of the scratches and marks on the mic' I suspect he was looking to re-sell (I checked his ratings and - what do you know - he bought and sold other musical equipment). The other insisted a mic' didn't work, until I asked him to return it (at my expense). Then he suddenly found his preamp/channel strip was faulty.

Both gave up after one try. I suspect most will do similarly.

• Like 1

I had similar with a sax clip on Condenser Mic. The guy bought it, couldn't get it to work and tried to return it as faulty. I actually found the manual of the unit he was trying to connect it to and actually had to almost talk him through it step by step. About two weeks later he contacted me again and said it clearly wasn't working. It was. 

I then got a return request raised as a faulty item, so I sent him a clip of it actually in use. The return request was cancelled shortly afterwards and I've heard nothing since. 

Funny that  

• Like 1