Why become a member? ×

Strings for a 22 fret.

billynoband

Is it a Squier MB-4?  The number of frets doesn't actually matter - the important thing is the scale length, which is the distance between the nut and the bridge.  For your Squier, you'll need "long scale" strings, which is the most standard length.  I don't know much about punk rock so I'll leave specific brand recommendations to someone else.

Some very good advice above - I'd just add that Rotosound Swing Bass (stainless steel round wound) have a bright and crunchy/aggressive tone that could work well in punk.  They're also pretty cheap (take a look here: https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/product.php?product_id=ROT-RS66LD&source=froogle).  There's a good selection of gauges and you can have the 45-105 (medium-heavy to me though others may have a different view) delivered for around £17.

I'm assuming here that you haven't changed strings on a bass previously?  It's not difficult but there's more to it than initially meets the eye.  Also, you may need/want to do a bit of setting-up at the same time as you change strings.  There are loads of (good) videos re: changing bass strings and undertaking basic set-up all over YouTube etc.  It's really worth having a look and doing a bit of thinking before you do the work.  Also, give yourself a bit of time to do the re-stringing and make sure that you get it right.  Alternatively, if you have an experienced mate/acquaintance, get them to show you how they approach string changes.

Good luck - there's loads of really good advice re: re-stringing on here (BC) too