Why become a member? ×

Cheap Mac Mini for Garageband advice please :)

MacDaddy

My mobile Mac is a 2012 MacBook Pro with almost the same spec (the processor is 2.5GHz but otherwise identical) as that and it runs Logic fine, so I imagine GarageBand will be OK as well. Occasionally I use it for work and hook it up to a second 24" monitor.

What sort of price are looking at for that?

27 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

My mobile Mac is a 2012 MacBook Pro with almost the same spec (the processor is 2.5GHz but otherwise identical) as that and it runs Logic fine, so I imagine GarageBand will be OK as well. Occasionally I use it for work and hook it up to a second 24" monitor.

What sort of price are looking at for that?

currently at £205 with 1 day 7 hours to go.

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

That's a good price if it's in decent condition. I paid about £1k for mine "new" (EOL'd) including the memory and SSD upgrades about 4 years ago.

i've won, and it ended up at £348.00.

Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13.3", i5 @ 2.4GHz, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM Late 2013 A1502, albeit with a touch of staingate.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Sounds like a win as far as I can see. Now you have to make some music with it :D

hah! got to get it first. I've messaged the (business) seller to see if I can collect in person if possible (if they are anywhere near that London). I can't see from their seller information where they are.

12 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

i've won, and it ended up at £348.00.

Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13.3", i5 @ 2.4GHz, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM Late 2013 A1502, albeit with a touch of staingate.

Well done mate!

4 minutes ago, Dood said:

Well done mate!

ta! It seems to be about £200 under what they usually go for. And for what I want it for, I can live with the staingate.

The seller is in Basingstoke, so I have to hope that UPS don't destroy it in transit!

50 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

ta! It seems to be about £200 under what they usually go for. And for what I want it for, I can live with the staingate.

The seller is in Basingstoke, so I have to hope that UPS don't destroy it in transit!

If the seller has been sensible and kept all the original packaging it should be fine.

It arrived yesterday. I've been having a fiddle.

- hate Apple

- love Garageband

Garageband seems to just work. I plugged in my midi keyboard and was instantly playing the instrument I selected. No worrying about sample rates, Audio Thread Priority, or ASIO, etc (none of which I have a clue about).

As for Apple, I do not want an Apple account, user ID, or any 'services' they provide. I just want to use Garageband.

6 minutes ago, TwoTimesBass said:

Turn it all off, it's evil!

Have a look here https://qlab.app/docs/v4/general/preparing-your-mac/ for a simple list to streamline your Mac for audio.

These guys specialize in audio playback software and i've used this list on all our playback systems with great success

This is generally a very good guide to make your Mac experience more lightweight!

On 02/07/2020 at 22:18, Woodinblack said:

Or a hub.

On 06/07/2020 at 10:44, akabane said:

You got yourself a bargain my friend! That machine will happily run Logic and Garageband for quite a while! :)

Make sure you get a nice USB-3 HUB (if I'm not mistaken it's got usb3) so you can connect most of your toys!

I've been trying to find a Thunderbolt 2 hub or adapter.

They don't seem to exist anymore! 🙁