Why become a member? ×

Alternative to Fender J Bass body style?

barrycreed

@Lfalex Yes, it's the Warwick Corvette. I should have been more specific. I'm sure that bass sounds great, but I'm not gone on the body shape at all. I had a look around online earlier, but can't seem to see any other options? At least not by just having a quick scan on the likes of Thomann. Plenty of J + P pickup options obviously...

This is my favourite non-Jazz Jazz derivative. A touch marmite, possibly.

sbvfull1200.thumb.jpg.99db9217fe1c8e11135976fcaa99c868.jpg

If you're new to these, Yamaha SBV500 from about 2000, a reissue of the '60s SB "Flying Samurai" basses. Sounds like a Jazz on steroids, neck has J proportions and it balances a lot better than you'd expect on the strap. Not exactly for the shy & retiring though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

If you're new to these, Yamaha SBV500 from about 2000, a reissue of the '60s SB "Flying Samurai" basses. Sounds like a Jazz on steroids, neck has J proportions and it balances a lot better than you'd expect on the strap. Not exactly for the shy & retiring though.

I forgot about the SBV. They even look good the wrong way up! 

• Like 1

Are you after something that looks like a thinner JB with JJ or something that’s actually close sound wise? What’s your budget?

sadowsky could work (the ones with thinner body), sound wise, I find that Fbass does the trick quite well too.

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Ah, the bass I have owned twice and sold twice....stupidly. 

Bloody great fun and as always, Yamaha quality. Might have to try and hunt one down. 

I was tempted by this on eBay as I prefer Precision to Jazz body shape and like a project......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Mystery-P-Shaped-Jazz-Bass-Body-Off-White-Vintage-Cream-Luthier-Supplies/254628625191?hash=item3b490c7b27:g:bNAAAOSwPGNe61-K

......then I remembered that I have about 20 unfinished project basses lying around and am not especially a fan of Jazz Basses in the first place. The bridge holes don't look to be especially well aligned with the PUP routs, so I'd expect to have to fill and re-drill those, and that sort of thing always makes me worry that whoever built or worked on the bass didn't know what they were doing or were in a hurry, and I'm likely to find other issues. But the important/hard to do bits look OK to my eye, i.e., the PUP routs look to be aligned with the neck pocket.

EDIT: Just realised you're looking for a bass not a body. Doh! Anyway, someone else looking at this thread might find the body useful :)

Edited by Beedster