Why become a member? ×

Has anyone else really enjoyed NOT gigging during this period

police squad

1 hour ago, police squad said:

I have noticed that I have much more energy, am not knackered all the time and my shoulders/ back / neck problems (mostly sports related) are causing me much less grief.

I haven't been going to the gym, so feel like I have less energy. And I'm getting back/shoulder aches that I never had before, possibly from home working :( 

Regarding enjoying NOT gigging, that would be a no. Gigging and being in a band are a large part of my social life, and most of my friends are in bands or musicians.

I am itching to get out and get gigging again. It's driving me nuts not being able to. It's almost as bad as when I bugggered my wrist up a couple of years back.

As an aside... @Machines, what's that bass you're holding in your avatar? I've been trying to remember what they were called. I remember being very taken with them when they first appeared.

Edited by Rich

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

As an aside... @Machines, what's that bass you're holding in your avatar? I've been trying to remember what they were called. I remember being very taken with them when they first appeared.

Thats the RedZero isn't it - the budget G4M (or thoman?) fan frets - sorry, redsub.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

Having just picked up what looks to be quality management with the rock band I play with which had resulted in some quality gigs in the book and also landing a job with a an original old school punk band which had gigs booked at some of the most iconic small venues around the UK for this year, I have to admit I am gutted at losing out on what, so far, was looking to be my most promising year musically for 30 years or more!

Which punk band, Roger?

Current band finally settled down to being a 4 piece after trying out various keys guys. We had done a few gigs around Xmas and this years diary was starting to look good with our last gig start March. All gone now and by looks of it same for rest of 2020.

I'm missing the gigs mainly because we've put a lot into the band with regular rehearsals and polishing the set for it to be knocked in the head. 

Hopefully it will pick up again soon.

Dave

I've missed doing rehearsals and the gigs I had lined up for this year, mainly because I like the musical and social interaction with my band mates in both outfits. 

The only upsides to not doing that at the moment is mainly because I'm not working. I'm not spending money on rehearsal rooms, fuel, and general wear and tear on the car. I'm also moving into a flat where I've got to buy essentials like white goods and furniture all over again, so lockdown has been beneficial there.

I usually just do dep gigs and obviously those few I already had in the book were all cancelled.

Missing it dreadfully - to me, dep bass gigs are all about fitting in at short notice and creating a great rhythm section with an unknown drummer (or at least trying to !), and relying on your experience and ear - I love it.

But right now, unless there's some major change I can't imagine any work appearing until Spring 2021 at the earliest.....   😨

• Like 1

We've been more productive as a band in the last three months than we have been in the last two years. With the regular gigs we were doing the chance of getting new material done at any pace was slower than acceptable. Plus practicing wasn't as regular cause .."well we know the set ….yeah I'll get round to that at some point next week.."

Now ... (since getting garage band plus the gizmo you plug into it thingy) and joining the thousands of other bands doing online lockdown videos, we've had more attention than ever.

Really great feedback, much more than we ever expected,  and this is all doing material we haven't done as a band before. This has given us a renewed enthusiasm for being creative and trying material that before might have been one of those " well I don't know if that would work" conversations is now "yeah lets give it a go."

We have a pool of singers and so as one has success the others (probably jealous) want in on it. And so we learn something new for that. We all put our own little  stamp on the tune somewhere rather than parrot them note for note which keeps it interesting.

I'm lucky that I still have a full time day job so I'm working even harder now on playing as I need to (cause I wanna) keep up with the guys that are furloughed stuck at home.

I've been practicing more than ever and my callouses haven't seen this kind of punishment for a long time and my playing's also  in the best shape its been in ages. 

If it wasn't for the lockdown my band mates probably wouldn't as focused as they are now too.

Then there are a few other projects that have popped up and asked me to contribute to.

So yes I miss gigging but I'm really enjoying what's going on over here in bassjim world

I am dying to get back to gigs, but, I did enjoy some quieter weekends to start with; having three neurodiverse children can make it difficult and stressful to leave the house on a Saturday evening with just my wife to mange them all, so it's been nice to not have to worry about that.

Also, I started a new job at the beginning of May, which has been, and continues to be incredibly hard work and stressful, fitting in gigs as well might have been hard; the job should (hopefully) reach peak stress levels in July/August, so I'm hoping gigs come back soon after then.

I miss gigging. However, I don't miss the sitting around waiting to go to the gig that I seem to do. It often seems I waste the whole day looking at my watch for a gig that kicks off at 9. Long live the midday gig: get up; get clean; eat; do gig; come home; rest of the day is yours.

• Like 2

Definitely haven't enjoyed not gigging. But then it's a strange concept isn't it? Enjoying the absence of something. I enjoy when something nasty goes away, like a headache or a visitor. But gigging is the keystone of the whole structure. 

Collecting basses, learning theory, improving technique, chatting here, incorporating effects - this and all the rest are parts of a structure but without that keystone it collapses. 

If you told me I'd never gig again I don't know how often I would pick up the bass. 

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I must admit I don't understand not gigging, seeing as not gigging is really easy to do, it doesn't need a global pandemic, it is the normal default position of most people, so if you enjoy not gigging, why not just not gig?

That's exactly what I did. I quit gigging, and the band I was in in September last year, well before the pandemic kicked in. I just didn't enjoy it. However, having had some time away, and currently in a new band doing all original material, I'm looking forward, although far from desperate, to get back to it. But I will be far more selective in what gigs I do. From now on it's going to be afternoon parties, barbeques, festivals, charity do's etc. I have absolutely no interest in playing in bars or doing late night gigs. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That's exactly what I did. I quit gigging, and the band I was in in September last year, well before the pandemic kicked in. I just didn't enjoy it. However, having had some time away, and currently in a new band doing all original material, I'm looking forward, although far from desperate, to get back to it. But I will be far more selective in what gigs I do. From now on it's going to be afternoon parties, barbeques, festivals, charity do's etc. I have absolutely no interest in playing in bars or doing late night gigs. 

Yes. that is what I mean, you didn't enjoy gigging so you stopped doing it, that seems the easy option really (obviously family / group commitments etc). But unless it is your full time career and your income source, I don't see why you would be gigging if you don't enjoy it.

I'm still ok with playing bars and having late nights, but I just can't do 'school nights' any more. Getting up early for my commute next morning is murder; I'm too old and knackered to be able to get by on 4 hours' sleep any more. So I think for me, it's going to be strictly Fridays and Saturdays only unless I can arrange to work from home the following day.

11 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

From now on it's going to be afternoon parties, barbeques, festivals, charity do's etc. I have absolutely no interest in playing in bars or doing late night gigs. 

That's the way I went several years ago as I'd got sick to the back teeth of pub gigs and all the cr@p that came with them. So we just played daytime slots at small festivals and busking sets. Way more enjoyable as there weren't all the drunken retards heckling, gobbing and lobbing stuff at us

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

From the sound of live music coming from the old people's home down the road, seems like you can still get gigs there. I guess you guys could always consider gigging at your local old folks homes. You never know, they might appreciate some prog or speed metal as a change from Johnny Cash covers

A couple of years ago, our Blues Band did a few gigs down in England, on a mini tour. One of the gigs was at The Nottingham Theatre Royal. We didn't know it at the time, but it was for an OAP music group. They really loved it and we had a standing ovation (well from the ones who could actually stand). I could really see us playing care homes for 'Old Rockers'. If we were too loud they could just turn their hearing aids off, I suppose :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoy the the smaller gigs with just vocal PA. When we play bigger venues i'm nominated van hirer and driver so i have the drummer to pick up and drop off. He has the PA systems and lighting rigs. It becomes a very long day. I need to drive 25miles to pick up a van, get home for bite to eat and then pack my own gear, go to drummers and the 2 off us pack his drums, PA and lights then off to the gig. Others drive themselves. Reverse of all that on way home with me getting to my house around 3am when i need to unload my own gear. Usually having a coffee before going to bed for a few hrs then back up early morning to take van back before its due time.

I don't miss that type of gig. Band have said to now hire the van an extra day to let me get a decent sleep but i grudge paying for a van to sit in my drive for a day doing nothing.

Best gigs we've had were the 1 hr support slots. Turn up with my bass, plug into main bands amp, do the show and go home again usually home by 11-12pm. That's a great wee night and a decent wee payment for no real work.

Dave

I've enjoyed the break from running my personal life to a clock.  No meeting for practice, gigs etc.  But I'm past that now and looking forward to gigging again, although I'm sure it'll be probably a year or so before the tempo of gigging picks up to where it was before.

On 19/06/2020 at 14:06, Woodinblack said:

Yes. that is what I mean, you didn't enjoy gigging so you stopped doing it, that seems the easy option really (obviously family / group commitments etc). But unless it is your full time career and your income source, I don't see why you would be gigging if you don't enjoy it.

Pressure from other band members usually. It was a difficult decision to quit, because we were all really good friends, and I enjoy the creative side of making music, but gigging for the sake of gigging, not so much. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom