Why become a member? ×

Has anyone else really enjoyed NOT gigging during this period

police squad

I've been gigging for just over 34 years now. I'm nearly 52 and between 1988 and 2015 was easily doing 100 gigs a year.

In the past 18 months I have cut back to about 35 per year and I try not to have my gigs back to back as it leaves me knackered the next day and the day after too.

I have a full time job, I'm company Secretary in a family business with my brother. We employ about 18 people and manufacture security and search equipment.

Since just before the pubs closed I haven't done any gigs, I've played at home much more, to backing tracks to polish up my guitar licks, played along with Guy Pratts videos (and really enjoyed that)

I even did a live stream with my duo, in my garden. (Which I thoroughly enjoyed)

I have noticed that I have much more energy, am not knackered all the time and my shoulders/ back / neck problems (mostly sports related) are causing me much less grief.

I don't miss the idiots that come to the pub being a PITA, (I don't play for landlords I don't like anymore, so that doesn't come in to it) or any of the other grief, yet I still sort of miss it.

If I never did another gig, well, I might be ok with that

Your thoughts mighty BC collective

By the way, I really appreciate how tough it is for the self employed musician who cannot work at the moment, this post is really aimed at people like me, the weekend warrior

Edited by police squad

I've not played any gigs for two and a half years and if anything as I've put more practice in over the last three months than for the whole of 2019, and improved my playing to boot, I'm itching to get back into gigging again. Not that I would want to join any old band and play any old stuff. I'm still particular about what I like and would choose to play, i.e. funk and dance based stuff, so I might have to carrying on itching for a fair while longer.

I'm down 24 gigs so far, with at least another dozen guaranteed to be cancelled, possibly more like 50. I think it's safe to say that I've missed each and every one of them, and I'd start gigging again this Friday if it was an option.

It's not that I'm desperately bored or short of other stuff to do ... Lockdown unexpectedly turned out to be one of the busiest periods I can remember. But I took early retirement largely so that I could play more gigs, and I'm feeling pretty frustrated.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I'm down 24 gigs so far, with at least another dozen guaranteed to be cancelled, possibly more like 50. I think it's safe to say that I've missed each and every one of them, and I'd start gigging again this Friday if it was an option.

It's not that I'm desperately bored or short of other stuff to do ... Lockdown unexpectedly turned out to be one of the busiest periods I can remember. But I took early retirement largely so that I could play more gigs, and I'm feeling pretty frustrated.

that must be really frustrating for you

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries ... you mentioned that you are a Company Secretary?

Yes but was not aware of this, I have an accounting qualification and am the company secretary, (it's my office as a shareholder as opposed to being a director)

• Like 1

From the sound of live music coming from the old people's home down the road, seems like you can still get gigs there. I guess you guys could always consider gigging at your local old folks homes. You never know, they might appreciate some prog or speed metal as a change from Johnny Cash covers

Edited by Barking Spiders

5 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

From the sound of live music coming from the old people's home down the road, seems like you can still get gigs there. I guess you guys could always consider gigging at your local old folks homes. You never know, they might appreciate some prog or speed metal as a change from Johnny Cash covers

already in my master plan for when I'm older. You have an audience that (mostly) can't run away!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Machines said:

Ironically, I quit my band just a couple of weeks before Corona kicked off as I wanted a break from gigs and late nights. I could have not dropped the mic and had my way and started again later in the year... oh well.

Could you get your old gig back, post virus?

5 minutes ago, police squad said:

Could you get your old gig back, post virus?

I did leave fairly amicably, but I don't think they'd have me back. The drummer (band leader) is a bit of a knob and seems to have took it personally, I think the 2 guitarists would be fine with it.

We havent played since our singers farewell gig last September and I hate to admit it but I haven`t really missed it. We have a new singer in place and were due to play the Hard rock in Glasgow in April but I knew it wasn`t going to happen when all this kicked off.

Being furloughed, I have actually missed being at work more than not gigging which is a bit weird.

5 minutes ago, Machines said:

I did leave fairly amicably, but I don't think they'd have me back. The drummer (band leader) is a bit of a knob and seems to have took it personally, I think the 2 guitarists would be fine with it.

I've decided I don't need to play with knob heads. You're better off out of it I reckon. Look for something new. I've recently realised that band 'mates' should be just that,..........mates

I've been missing gigging, which is my work! 28 gigs down so far, with no sign of anything improving for the rest of 2020.

The first few weeks of the lockdown were a nice change for me, but as the time has gone on I'm getting more twitchy being at home. Practicing along with some stuff my band recorded on our gigs so as not to lose it and forget everything, but TBH I'm a live player really - it's all about doing gigs all over the UK and also the travel and camaradarie for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not really missing it tbh. The travel and a particular band member were a pain in the a*se....
However, said band member has now quit so that's half the hassle gone and we have a few great guys auditioning (when we can!) so hopeful of a better band dynamic.

I'm enjoying playing my bass for myself and uploading a few videos and not dealing with band/venue nonsense so, if it never recovers, I'll survive..... but I know when I get back onstage I'll realise how much I missed it...

Strange times...

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Machines said:

Ironically, I quit my band just a couple of weeks before Corona kicked off as I wanted a break from gigs and late nights. I could have not dropped the mic and had my way and started again later in the year... oh well.

Pretty much the same for me, left my band at the end of last year as gigging & touring all over the place was just becoming too much for me. I wouldn’t say that I’ve enjoyed not gigging, more that I’ve enjoyed feeling well & rested for the first time in a long while.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

I hear from lots of people who've had lots of downtime to rethink their life/work balance, learn new skills etc. But that's not me.

My wife and I have been working full time and caring for two young children since March (apparently homeschooling one of them too).

Gigs are a valuable, but not essential source of income for our household. I've missed about 12 gigs so far from what was meant to be a busy diary.

I've been playing at home quite a bit just for my sanity, but with no gigs on the cards its all a bit aimless.

As soon as it's safe to gig, i'll be there.

I've overgigged in the past... even considered giving up the day job (as a sax player). But I haven't gigged for ten years... then I recently joined an olde f@rtz band. We were really getting things going for our first gig.

But... I still think I've got off lightly in the grand scheme of things... we'll be up and ready to go when the time comes.... after re-rehearsing everything.

Having just picked up what looks to be quality management with the rock band I play with which had resulted in some quality gigs in the book and also landing a job with a an original old school punk band which had gigs booked at some of the most iconic small venues around the UK for this year, I have to admit I am gutted at losing out on what, so far, was looking to be my most promising year musically for 30 years or more!

• Sad 1

Every weekend there is something that flashes up on the calendar of some gig that we should have been playing at. Some of them are well, ok, and some of them, like a few new open air things we were were really looking forward to. A couple of those really nice warm weekends we have had we had open air festivals booked for.

Its safe to say every single one we missed has added a little downer to the day.

• Like 1