Why become a member? ×

Price of Yamaha BB basses

38 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

I always like how Yammys look but I think I am in the minority here I have had 2 lower end models a bb424x which arrived with broken pickups from new and another model I cant remember that the electronics kept cutting out so not really a fan as such

The pickup selector switch is the Achilles heel of BB41x and BB42x. If the switch is struck from the top in transit, the plastic tangs that hold the switch together can snap and the switch falls apart, resulting in just one or none of the pickups working. A Switchcraft replacement off EBay is virtually indestructible 

493555A9-7BF2-4935-8E96-CAA009755A43.thumb.jpeg.583214408fb19053c6b07fc1fa23e258.jpeg

Edited by MoJo

29 minutes ago, MoJo said:

The pickup selector switch is the Achilles heel of BB41x and BB42x. If the switch is struck from the top in transit, the plastic tangs that hold the switch together can snap and the switch falls apart, resulting in just one or none of the pickups working. A Switchcraft replacement off EBay is virtually indestructible 

Hi it wasn't the pickup switch it was the actual pickups so I was told I didn't really ask any more I just returned the bass and bought something else 

I've got a Taiwan made bb1100s which I've had for 25 years. They are amazing basses but sell for cheaper than they are worth. If you can get one for c £400 they are worth every penny and you should get your money back if you don't like it. 

P J pickups. Active/passive electrics allows for a whole range of tones, but that being said I use mine active P pickup with everything on full and it sounds great. Add to that a high mass bridge, comfortable neck (more p than J but somewhere between both) what more would you want! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I'm looking at the possibility of selling my pair of BB425s to fund a build.

Before I go digging through Google, does anyone know what kind of price they're going for these days?

About £250-£300.

wish they were 424’s

On 10/07/2020 at 19:41, Richard Jinman said:

So here's a related question: are the through neck Yamaha BBs worth the big bucks they're fetching nowadays? There's a BB2000 on eBay at the moment for £1400 ... it hasn't sold, but anywhere between £1200 and £1400 seems to be the asking price. You can buy the top of the range BBP34 for about the same price. Is the price of the BB2000s and BB3000s (and 1200s) a reflection of their quality or just a vintage premium? I guess the answer's both, but would be interested to hear from people who've owned/played them. Guess the other issue is scarcity. They seem plentiful in places like Australia and weirdly The Netherlands, but pretty scarce in the UK. 

I play a BB2000, had it new from mid '80s and always said I wouldn't get rid but blimey, have they been selling for these prices? 

It's a great bass, some may find them a bit heavy but never been a problem for me and is very well made. Still I think there's a bit of vintage premium going on if they actually do sell for those kind of prices. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

All cards off the table currently, just bought an Aria with my Yamaha fund...

You bought that? Damn! I just missed out on that and only just up the road from me