Why become a member? ×

Price of Yamaha BB basses

Hi, I'm in the market for a decent - relative term I know - Yamaha. I like the sound of the BB1100s, but am confused by the wide - really wide - range of prices for the instrument. For example, there's one on Reverb right now for about £380 with hard case. It's made in Taiwan, but as far as I can tell the Japan/Taiwan thing isn't a big deal with Yamaha in the way MIM and MIA seems to be for Fender. The Bass Gallery has a BB1100s on sale for about £1000. Sure, you'd expect to pay top dollar at a London bricks and mortar store, but I can't begin to reconcile the difference. A 1100s sold here about a year ago for about £350 I think. Any thoughts on the reason for the variance (besides people trying it on etc) and what would you consider a fair price?

And for my secondary question. Would you look at a newer model like the BB1024 - around the £500 mark secondhand - in preference to the 1100s? Cheers, R

I've got a bb1024x and its sublime for the money. I'd sell every other bass I own (includes fender P, spector euro lx, Warwick streamer stage 1 and a dingwall ng2) before even considering selling the Bb1024x .

• Like 1

At odds with @mrtcat I didn't take to my 1024x at all and sold mine on a few weeks after buying it and I know the chap I sold mine to also sold it on fairly quickly!

I found it did a Precision bass sound quite well but not as well as a Fender Precision bass (it sounded a little to transparent but not in a good way, if that makes any sense) but the killer for me was weight, mine was well over 10lbs and just too heavy for regular gig use

Rog

24 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

At odds with @mrtcat I didn't take to my 1024x at all and sold mine on a few weeks after buying it and I know the chap I sold mine to also sold it on fairly quickly!

I found it did a Precision bass sound quite well but not as well as a Fender Precision bass (it sounded a little to transparent but not in a good way, if that makes any sense) but the killer for me was weight, mine was well over 10lbs and just too heavy for regular gig use

Rog

That's really interesting. My 1024x weighs in at almost dead on 9lbs and the solo'd p pickup is so fat and meaty sounding. I had a regular 1024 that was just the same. Maybe worth trying before buying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard Jinman said:

Hi, I'm in the market for a decent - relative term I know - Yamaha. I like the sound of the BB1100s, but am confused by the wide - really wide - range of prices for the instrument. For example, there's one on Reverb right now for about £380 with hard case. It's made in Taiwan, but as far as I can tell the Japan/Taiwan thing isn't a big deal with Yamaha in the way MIM and MIA seems to be for Fender. The Bass Gallery has a BB1100s on sale for about £1000. Sure, you'd expect to pay top dollar at a London bricks and mortar store, but I can't begin to reconcile the difference. A 1100s sold here about a year ago for about £350 I think. Any thoughts on the reason for the variance (besides people trying it on etc) and what would you consider a fair price?

And for my secondary question. Would you look at a newer model like the BB1024 - around the £500 mark secondhand - in preference to the 1100s? Cheers, R

I think £1,000 is a lot of money for a BB1100S, sure you can get one for less than that if you look around?

If you get one you won't be disappointed as it's got J and P bass goodness within. I had one for 13 years, and it's the only bass I ever regretted selling.

On 18/06/2020 at 14:16, AndyTravis said:

I had 2 bb1100s basses. Wish I’d kept the sunburst one, an earlier model with the squarer P pickup.

I’d say pay up to £450 for one. They crop up on eBay and Facebook market place.

I seem to remember buying that said Sunburst bass from you Andy. Cracking guitar. I got offered another 1100s in a trade in shortly afterwards and decided to keep it,sticking the one I bought from you on the usual places. It was bought by a nice chap called Martin from London. I sold it for £300 plus £20 postage. A snip I hear you say! Anyway,I put the money to something else nice. You can imagine my surprise when checking the postal address and seeing it was The Bass Gallery,Camden. You can also imagine my surprise as it appeared on the shops web page for sale at £950. It's still there now!! London prices!!! What are they like!!!....................................

Edited by theplumber

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a heavy instrument, I can thoroughly recommend the 4" wide Pinegrove bass strap. Got one about a month ago and it makes a big difference to playing comfort. Hand made in Blighty. Have a look at their website. They sell direct.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

If you have a heavy instrument, I can thoroughly recommend the 4" wide Pinegrove bass strap. Got one about a month ago and it makes a big difference to playing comfort. Hand made in Blighty. Have a look at their website. They sell direct.

Roddy, Mr.Pinegrove, is also a fine musician himself! ☺️

2 minutes ago, Fil1ip said:

Hello 

What is a good price for a BB614 and are they any good 🙄

They’re great - the pre gets a bit angry if pushed, it’s a bit extreme at the top.

I had one and found that I mostly used it set flat (so basically a 414).

I’d say they’re worth every penny of up to £300 or so, they crop up at £180-£250 quite regularly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

They’re great - the pre gets a bit angry if pushed, it’s a bit extreme at the top.

I had one and found that I mostly used it set flat (so basically a 414).

I’d say they’re worth every penny of up to £300 or so, they crop up at £180-£250 quite regularly.

Thank you 

I really would like an orange BB414 buy just not seen one yet 

So here's a related question: are the through neck Yamaha BBs worth the big bucks they're fetching nowadays? There's a BB2000 on eBay at the moment for £1400 ... it hasn't sold, but anywhere between £1200 and £1400 seems to be the asking price. You can buy the top of the range BBP34 for about the same price. Is the price of the BB2000s and BB3000s (and 1200s) a reflection of their quality or just a vintage premium? I guess the answer's both, but would be interested to hear from people who've owned/played them. Guess the other issue is scarcity. They seem plentiful in places like Australia and weirdly The Netherlands, but pretty scarce in the UK. 

I think the current prices of the BB102x series basses reflect just how good they are - they are currently selling pretty close to the original new prices. I don't like the current models visually and wouldn't hesitate to get myself another BB1025 if I was looking for a 5 string