Why become a member? ×

RMI Quantum Dominic DiPiazza 6 (by Mark Ramsay)

neil___lien

Dear Fellas & Fellazettes, Homies & Homelettes,

Here is my review of the Quantum Dominic DiPiazza signature bass by RMI!

Those instruments are designed & styled in England, then crafted in South Korea with CNC machinery, & then set up & quality assured in England again.

Here are the specs (copied from http://www.ramsay-bass.co.uk😞

• Width at nut: 50mm | String spacing at bridge: 16mm
  • Neck-thru-body construction
  • Ebonol - mini line-dot markers with offset side dots
  • 7-piece maple/swamp ash laminated neck
  • Layered body with solid exotic top - chambered
  • Active 3-band EQ with volume (pull for passive) and balance
  • Dual-coil humbucking pickups - floating ramp enclosure
  • Hi-mass brass hardtail bridge

What a pleasure it is to play this thing!

The active pre-amp offers quite a large variety of possibilities, really versatile. i’ve had the bass for a almost a couple of weeks now & i haven’t touched the knobs on my amp since then. Solid, well defined, low end & really clear higher register, ideal for chordal fun! The scale is 34 inches and the body is chambered: much lighter and easier to play than the Harley Benton BZ-6000. Even the passive mode sounds rich & beautiful. Also let me mention: it still has the strings it came with, i don’t know what they are, but apparently they’ve been there a while (thinking about going LaBella Flats on this beauty).

As U’ll see below, the instrument looks gorgeous, elegant! i had always wanted a single-cut design (my dream basses up until i crossed paths with this one were the Ibanez SRSC806 & the Ibanez BTB846SC DTL) & i had never played with a ramp before either. Love both features. There is also a 0 fret, not mentioned on the specs on the website. There is an additional part of the ramp that fits between the one U can see in the pics & the neck.

The ergonomics & balance of the bass are perfect playing both sitting and standing with a strap. The neck felt like home as soon as i was done with the set up & the cleaning. It says on their website that they are musicians/artists, and the craftsmanship & ergonomics of the bass are a clear reflection of that. i have never built a bass myself, but i have been very tempted for the past 5 years or so (when i started playing bass seriously), but every time i start reading about it, researching woods, watching videos of time-lapse bass builds, i just realise i do not have neither the tools nor the money to even get started. But what i mean by that is that it is OBVIOUS that a lot of research, trial & error & hours of thinking & planning must’ve gone into this instrument.

I must admit i didn’t know who RMI were. U might not know either, so i would encourage U to check out their website as this Quantum model is not even the most spectacular design they have! And apparently, all the technical details of Ur dream instrument can be achieved. It’s all explained in the « About Us » section!

http://www.ramsay-bass.co.uk/about.php

Well, this was my first review ever, i think. i hope i haven’t forgotten anything & i hope U will find this review helpful as there is not much to be read about RMI.

Have a brilliant day!

20200618_111221.thumb.jpg.4182cb12f80ba8bcb1f84656c9c57417.jpg

20200618_111247.thumb.jpg.acc3296307472165782c82a94e53053d.jpg

20200618_104408.thumb.jpg.dc2220330c46ba140ae30190b2556513.jpg

20200618_111057.thumb.jpg.2e27b305b56882d78595c4ed77e36b31.jpg

20200618_104304.thumb.jpg.5945143a4f6a97ae0aa36d35d581ce22.jpg

20200618_104205.thumb.jpg.4cfad25559428e6121ab3dc3a83e5ca1.jpg

20200618_104123.thumb.jpg.fa0447e24f2b84d52b2d4face3d92962.jpg

Edited by outtaseezun
  • Like 1

That is a sweet looking instrument, congratulations! :)

I do admit I like some of Ramsay's designs, keen on putting my hands on one and try them out - it might be a great good quality and not so expensive way to get that modern sound perfect for soloing and chordal work.

If you record anything with it, please let me know! Keen to hear its tone!

• Thanks 1

• Rich changed the title to RMI Quantum Dominic DiPiazza 6 (by Mark Ramsay)
On 19/06/2020 at 11:02, akabane said:

That is a sweet looking instrument, congratulations! :)

I do admit I like some of Ramsay's designs, keen on putting my hands on one and try them out - it might be a great good quality and not so expensive way to get that modern sound perfect for soloing and chordal work.

If you record anything with it, please let me know! Keen to hear its tone!

I post videos on my instagram, @neilelliottbeisson, but they are phone quality & so far i have only posted one video (the day job has been keeping me busy), but i will keep posting!

Thanks for Ur comments guys!!

Edited by outtaseezun