Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM PRO NEO Cabs

Lozz196

Well my experience of the regular ABM cabs in comparison to the RM cabs is that they have a lower, deeper sound. Easiest way to describe but is that the RMs get the sort of sound you want to achieve at lower volumes (so smaller venues) whereas you can push the ABMs harder (on bigger stages/venues). I can’t see Ashdown wanting these NEO cabs to stray far from the ABM sound though. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, chris_b said:

I would be more interested if they offered an HPF rather than the octave thing. How many players actually use sub harmonics?

I think I’ve used it once, on In The City by The Jam - as I read somewhere that Bruce Foxton does similar.

• 6 months later...
On 16/11/2020 at 12:29, chris_b said:

I would be more interested if they offered an HPF rather than the octave thing. How many players actually use sub harmonics?

I did sparingly for a short while until I got a decent octave effect. Now I can't see me using the onboard drive or octave again. 

• 6 months later...

Thought I would resurrect this old thread as I own and use two ABM210H Pro Neo cabs with my ABM600 

Rehearsals ( mostly loud rock ) I use both cabs stacked and due to the design ( diagonal speakers ) they make a tall rig ( probably a 610 cab height ) 

Are they good, yes I believe they are but you need to get the EQ right to really make them sing.

Probably don’t have the very low bass sound of a ported cab as they are sealed but they do have a decent amount of low end and mid punch. 
300w rated but could they handle that power it’s hard to tell.

Weight and carry is amazing as they are so light. You can carry both cabs together ( one in each hand ) 

They are a small sized cab ( personally a bit wider would of been perfect ) but they make a neat stack.

Im sure you can find high end cabs that would be better but for the money and how they perform I think Ashdown got it right.

As an experiment I got an older U.K. Klyston 115 cab to compare them ( ported cab ) and the ABM210H sounded better as was more articulate and better punch. The Klyston I know was a 15” so not a fair comparison but it just sounded flubby in comparison!

Edited by BassAdder27

Gigged my ABM Pro Neo 1x15s on Friday night for the very first time. Powerful and authoritative sound indeed. Also easy to lift down a narrow passage over the top of my car to squeeze into the venue. Even had a punter stand behind the PA speaker in a little space where he was getting smashed in the chest by my bass rig.... He enjoyed the Ashdown sound (but also wanted to talk to me about it in between songs, which is nice but not practical. If you're reading this we can catch up another time).

Edited by uk_lefty

42 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Gigged my ABM Pro Neo 1x15s on Friday night for the very first time. Powerful and authoritative sound indeed. Also easy to lift down a narrow passage over the top of my car to squeeze into the venue. Even had a punter stand behind the PA speaker in a little space where he was getting smashed in the chest by my bass rig.... He enjoyed the Ashdown sound (but also wanted to talk to me about it in between songs, which is nice but not practical. If you're reading this we can catch up another time).

Be interested to know how they compare to 210 cabs ?

They have in theory more speaker surface area so may be “louder” than the 210 variant 

10 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Be interested to know how they compare to 210 cabs ?

They have in theory more speaker surface area so may be “louder” than the 210 variant 

We had full PA support so I didn't really need to push it but the volume is there in spades, definitely, I use the Rootmaster 500 head. I've not used the ABM Pro Neo 2x10s either so can't compare exactly. What I can compare it to is the Rootmaster series cabs. I personally prefer the sound of 15s, it's deeper and rounder sounding to me than the 2x10s which can do the punchiness well and high end but I feel low miss and deep lows are lacking a bit of authority. The Rootmaster cabs are excellent value for money but I just feel there's more to the sound with the ABMs. This is of course my view based on me playing my stuff through my guitars, effects, etc. So others may get completely different results.

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

We had full PA support so I didn't really need to push it but the volume is there in spades, definitely, I use the Rootmaster 500 head. I've not used the ABM Pro Neo 2x10s either so can't compare exactly. What I can compare it to is the Rootmaster series cabs. I personally prefer the sound of 15s, it's deeper and rounder sounding to me than the 2x10s which can do the punchiness well and high end but I feel low miss and deep lows are lacking a bit of authority. The Rootmaster cabs are excellent value for money but I just feel there's more to the sound with the ABMs. This is of course my view based on me playing my stuff through my guitars, effects, etc. So others may get completely different results.

I had an Ampeg PF115LF cab ( planned to add a second) but although they sounded good they were heavy boxes !

Sold it and purchased the ABM 210 Pro Neo cabs .. so light in comparison 

I need both my cabs to fill the room in small to medium venues as our PA is for vocals only. 
I do wish they were a little larger and rated higher ( 500W ) 

Still wonder about would the ported ABM series sound better ? 

3 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

I had an Ampeg PF115LF cab ( planned to add a second) but although they sounded good they were heavy boxes !

Sold it and purchased the ABM 210 Pro Neo cabs .. so light in comparison 

I need both my cabs to fill the room in small to medium venues as our PA is for vocals only. 
I do wish they were a little larger and rated higher ( 500W ) 

Still wonder about would the ported ABM series sound better ? 

Yeah I don't get the power ratings, it restricts you to 600w or lower heads. Means I didn't grab one of those bargain RM800s sadly.