Why become a member? ×

Playing blind

Burns-bass

Over the last few weeks I’ve been including some ‘blind’ practice into my routine. My wife said I looked like the karate kid when I played with a mask on, so now I just play in the pitch black. 

I use a drone and work on intonation, tackling scales and so on.

This is a brilliant tip that has helped me make some great process that someone here raised. I’d never considered it, but it makes perfect sense.

Any other good DB practice tips you would care to share that I can use during lockdown?

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 1

I'm glad it's working out for you! I would add that I practice blindfolded AND play with a bow as it produces a clearer fundamental that allows you to more accurately discern the tuning issues. 

A top practice tip is to buy a looper (I use a tiny Donner one); it allowed me to make my practice sessions a little bit more creative and dynamic so ultimately more fun. 

1 hour ago, DanOwens said:

I'm glad it's working out for you! I would add that I practice blindfolded AND play with a bow as it produces a clearer fundamental that allows you to more accurately discern the tuning issues. 

A top practice tip is to buy a looper (I use a tiny Donner one); it allowed me to make my practice sessions a little bit more creative and dynamic so ultimately more fun. 

Cheers Dan, the looper is (another) brilliant idea and on the list for when I have a few quid. I'm waiting to hear on some jobs, so hopefully today.

I'd love to be able to practice with a bow, but much of my practice is done when the kids are in bed so it's unlikely. I'll get there.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2020 at 14:19, Burns-bass said:

I'd love to be able to practice with a bow, but much of my practice is done when the kids are in bed so it's unlikely. I'll get there.

The rubber Ultra practice mute is actually quite effective when used for arco playing, less so for pizzicato. 

4 hours ago, Duckyincarnate said:

The rubber Ultra practice mute is actually quite effective when used for arco playing, less so for pizzicato. 

I've got one of those, but i still found it to be really loud. My Bryant is currently languishing in my loft (covered0 after a seam split. I'll bring it out again when i can get to see someone who can work on it.

I'm using an MK bass at the moment, which is lovely, perhaps I'll give it a go later - if I don't melt first!

On 24/06/2020 at 14:34, Burns-bass said:

I've got one of those, but i still found it to be really loud. My Bryant is currently languishing in my loft (covered0 after a seam split. I'll bring it out again when i can get to see someone who can work on it.

I'm using an MK bass at the moment, which is lovely, perhaps I'll give it a go later - if I don't melt first!

I will be saying a prayer for your Bryant in the loft given some of the hot days we have been having....

1 hour ago, Duckyincarnate said:

I will be saying a prayer for your Bryant in the loft given some of the hot days we have been having....

Haha, it’s a loft conversion and we’ve got a dehumidifier so should be ok!

Its either that or leave it out for the kids to break. Or sell It, which would be a horrid shame.

• Like 1