Why become a member? ×

Deep purple - Highway star

Woodinblack

I would say, I am not particularly a fan of deep purple, they seemed like an old peoples group to me when I was first into rock music (not sure why, considering most things I listened to were a similar age), and most people who liked them were 'car guys', where i was a bike guy (not a biker, never been one of those, I just used to ride a bike all the time and hang round with other people doing the same).

Anyway, seen them a number of times, know there stuff, even played a few songs in various bands.

I was on my walk today, with my headphones on (which I don't normally do- the headphone thing) and my iPhone on random played highway star. Can't say I had really thought about the bassline on it before, but that first descending riff at the start of the song is pretty fast, so I was thinking about whether I could do that, so I searched for this when I got back.

Its actually very busy - I know the 'dont' like busy bass lines' people will hate it as it isn't just roots and 5ths, but considering the song is just a straight rock song quite a few bass players would have just played the roots on it, but it pulls the song out a bit (as well as the keyboard playing) and makes it something a bit different.

Still not going to be a deep purple fan but I have a bit more respect for what is going on here.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I would say, I am not particularly a fan of deep purple, they seemed like an old peoples group to me when I was first into rock music (not sure why, considering most things I listened to were a similar age), and most people who liked them were 'car guys', where i was a bike guy (not a biker, never been one of those, I just used to ride a bike all the time and hang round with other people doing the same).

Anyway, seen them a number of times, know there stuff, even played a few songs in various bands.

I was on my walk today, with my headphones on (which I don't normally do- the headphone thing) and my iPhone on random played highway star. Can't say I had really thought about the bassline on it before, but that first descending riff at the start of the song is pretty fast, so I was thinking about whether I could do that, so I searched for this when I got back.

Its actually very busy - I know the 'dont' like busy bass lines' people will hate it as it isn't just roots and 5ths, but considering the song is just a straight rock song quite a few bass players would have just played the roots on it, but it pulls the song out a bit (as well as the keyboard playing) and makes it something a bit different.

Still not going to be a deep purple fan but I have a bit more respect for what is going on here.

This album was a massive influence on me when I was first learning to play bass - and that tone...

It was an honour to meet Roger at the LBGS a few years ago.

• Like 3

I had to learn this earlier on this year and was amazed at how busy it is - you can tell they were all on drugs, writing lines that busy! But seriously I love playing it, I’d never heard the song before but it’s become one of my faves to play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

Made in Japan = best ever live recording, will never be beaten IMHO 😎

When the bass comes in on SOTW it's enough to blow your speaker's bollx off 🤯

Hard to disagree :)  Roger Glover is probably my favourite bass player.

5 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

Made in Japan = best ever live recording, will never be beaten IMHO 😎

When the bass comes in on SOTW it's enough to blow your speaker's bollx off 🤯

+1  Generally cited as the first "speed metal" song I think, before Motorhead and their ilk...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

This album was a massive influence on me when I was first learning to play bass - and that tone...

This. One of the greatest bass tones ever, IMO, and I love Roger’s playing on that album. Massive early influence on me. 

• Like 1

As with all the really good players, in many of RG's lines there is often a bit more going on than the first casual listen suggests. Still serves the song and doesn't dominate the performance but often retains a nicely melodic accompaniment to some of the guitar and organ wizadry at play.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, prowla said:

Is that video the same gig?

I'm sure I've seen it with different music.

If you watch the vid in YouTube you'll see a comment that it is the MIJ soundtrack sync'd with the Copenhagen DVD.  Almost works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Made in Japan version was a huge influence on me and I still love it.

I had to learn it for a quality cover band I was in a few years ago and spent days getting it nailed almost note for note. - I even used my old Ric.  I wish I had a recording of it but the band split soon after!  The busy but solid bass made all the difference - I've heard covers where little effort seems to have been put into the bass part, and it shows.  The whole band is amazing on this one!

Edited by inthedoghouse

8 hours ago, fretmeister said:

This thread has taken me on a search for good cover versions.

The Chickenfoot version is brilliant - Satriani playing the organ solo with some synthy pedals. Also shows what a great singer Michael Anthony is.

Love me a bit of Chickenfoot, that is a screamin' cover!!!

• Like 2

On 17/06/2020 at 15:13, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Same here. Still is a massive influence.

God knows why Glover fkd with that Rick, though,.