Why become a member? ×

NAD Keeping up with the Joneses

lownote

It so is, Frank.  Not being a five year old I don't have the technical knowledge to demonstrate this remotely.  But let me just just say this is probably the best rig I have ever had.  I speak as a former lover of yellow drivers.  I have a particular, non-intuitive and highly classifed tweak to the MB EQ which paints in sound a traditional smoky jazz club at 1 in the morning. But I may have to abandon this love affair as 'old journey'. Phil Jones is different, but pleasingly so - just as your new lover doesn't replace the old but holds a whole new promise of discovery. The little DS200 head (175w RMS), although old looks new and beautifully engineered like a (cliche alert) Swiss watch. The sound from the six 7" drivers is exquisite.  Clear, balanced, neither warm nor clinical and with superb depth.  Full, yet not trouser flapping - more Y front fondling. OK with 175w I'm not going to fill Wembley.  I've yet to try it outside the man cave, but for a small folk, jazz, or even blues band in a pub, I'm fairly sure we can hold our own on volume. The quality speaks for itself.  £600 all up secondhand.  Not an easy buy to justify at the moment.  Until I plug in.   

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 2

My PJB rig (Flightcase + 6x5 powered cab) punches to the back of a fair sized establishment at only half way up (I realise these things are not necessarily linear) and I’ve never felt I need more. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ezbass said:

My PJB rig (Flightcase + 6x5 powered cab) punches to the back of a fair sized establishment at only half way up (I realise these things are not necessarily linear) and I’ve never felt I need more. 

How much difference does the power in the powered cab make?

Just now, lownote12 said:

How much difference does the power in the powered cab make?

Quite a bit. It’s really doing the ‘heavy lifting‘. I have tried just using the Flightcase, but I’d probably need to run it flat out in a full band situation and it still might be enough. I have, however, used it on its own for jazz trio gigs, where it was more than adequate. Adding the PB300 makes it effortless for rock/pop gigs and also adds a bit more low end. It also lifts the Flightcase up off the floor for better monitoring from the upfiring speakers. I have also used the PB300 with just a Cub or a Bass Buddy as the ‘brain’ and it was just fine.

33 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Quite a bit. It’s really doing the ‘heavy lifting‘. I have tried just using the Flightcase, but I’d probably need to run it flat out in a full band situation and it still might be enough. I have, however, used it on its own for jazz trio gigs, where it was more than adequate. Adding the PB300 makes it effortless for rock/pop gigs and also adds a bit more low end. It also lifts the Flightcase up off the floor for better monitoring from the upfiring speakers. I have also used the PB300 with just a Cub or a Bass Buddy as the ‘brain’ and it was just fine.

Hmm, seems that makes the difference. My D200 is feeding 175w into 4 ohms of cab and the volume knob is on 9.30 just playing next to my ear at home.   TBH I have no gig scene, even pre-virus (too remote, too grumpy) so quality of sound in my bedroom outweighs any need for venue volume at the mo. 

Edited by lownote12

I use my Cub for just home playing these days, which is a bit of a luxury as the Flightcase would be fine, probably better, but the Cub was my first piece of PJB kit and, up until recently, I’ve had no reason to move it on. However, since acquiring a Yamaha Sessioncake, the Cub’s time may be up.

Edited by ezbass

Nice set up. Here's a gratuitous pic' of my PJB cabs. You could say I'm partial to them. The 4Bs plus Aggie do a very fine old school sound with the P bass and La Bellas. The C4s plus Berg to add some low end weight do modern and work great with a 5.

Rigs.JPG

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Haha 1