Why become a member? ×

Carol Kaye, Steve Bailey & Victor Wooten

It's a 20 years old video at the Namm show. The are all playing the Steve Bailey Aria Signature basses in their different iterations. These were derivatives of the Avante series. Very good basses in the hands of people who, for once, are not showing off, especially two of them ... as Carol Kaye never shows off, but plays.

Thanks for this @EssentialTension.

Well in defense of Steve Bailey, despite having the potentially most extended range instrument, and theoretically therefor the best possibilities for cutting it totally loose, it's not like Victor Wooten and Carol Kaye actually leaves him that much of a musical room to do so.

Amazing jam though regardless, by 3 absolutely top world class bass players and musicians as such.

Victor Wooten being among my personal Top 11 all time favorite bass players, despite most of his music not exactly being my cup of tea (though I still do love a few of his composition like for instance his massively impressive and astonishing beautiful melodic "The Lesson", and I always appreciate the masterly executed truly virtuous display of his bass playing, no matter what actual music he is then playing), and Carol Kaye, despite generally, in diametrically opposition to my impression of the very humble and kind hearted Mister Wooten, coming off to me as a bit of a bitter old jerk personality wise, shows she still got her chops down at absolutely full top functionality, got to give her credit for some truly amazing classic and by now legendary bass lines, as well as her superb bass chops, especially impressive at her age, being a jerk or not.

Sticking to a lowly Ibanez as her main instrument, despite being a world class big time truly legendary player, earns Carol some extra credits in my book too, despite her sometimes coming off to me as a world class jerk as well in some of her official utterings. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 2 months later...