Why become a member? ×

NBD - Shuker 6

Woodinblack

Well, I am sure we have all seen this, but just so we know where things end up, it turned up here!

A Shuker 6, with a neck like a major runway. A series 2 I believe.

I am not a 6 player and I am not fond of a spacing greater than 17mm, this goes past both of those, its neck is so wide it doesn't fit in any of my hangers or stands, so it will have to sit on the floor!

I figured that although it might be difficult to use, if I never manage to get on with it I should be able to not lose on it like I normally do :) Although a the moment that isn't an issue as I am getting on with it fine at the moment.

Plyed it a bit last night but then it started hissing and sound went down, which struck me as a battery problem, sure enough it was, replaced the batteries, all seems good now. Anyway, here are the pictures

IMG_0645.thumb.jpeg.037164cfed63f8bc24303f397fa1f312.jpegIMG_0644.thumb.jpeg.6b450c10b9fce32c4fcec5dc51e70026.jpeg

• Like 10

I am not sure about singing :)

It does actually have a preamp issue at the moment. After changing the batteries it got rid of the hiss but when playing last night after a while the sound faded a lot. I unplugged and replugged and it came back.

Had a look at the preamp - I don't recognise the type it is a grey box with a blue control. it also has a 'spare pot' in there connected to the preamp that oddly doesn't appear to do anything - maybe it is a Q control? No idea. Anyway, sounds like a capactitance issue. I don't know how well these things are sealed, whether it is a take apart or replace thing, but not that worried, it will be fixed or replaced.

I have contacted shuker to see what the preamp is, to see if that helps

I got a reply from John Shuker last night, it is their own made one, from about 15 years ago. He said I can send it in for a service and get it repaired but the rest of the bass in such good condition I think I shall try and repair it and if not, just swap it with something else.

I can heartly recommend John for repairs and not just for his own builds. He regulary services my GB as Bernie is 350+miles from me in Brighton. He's got mine set-up as per John Entwistle's strings under the frets...

Well you all know how I feel about Shuker. Hell, it’s been well over ten years now I should probably propose 😂😂

Anyway, I’m a massive Shuker 6 string fan. We worked really hard on mine (and it’s older sister) that are enjoying many years of solid service.

Anyway, congratulations on a stunning bass. I know Jon Shuker’s work is well regarded amongst luthiers.

He has been very helpful in sorting out this preamp issue. I have been very impressed with the quality of this bass. Still not convinced that 6 strings are for me, especially when the string spacing is this wide, but the quality is evident.

I may eventually end up with a slightly different shuker!

• 4 weeks later...

So John has sent me a new preamp for this and I fitted it last night, all appears to be working fine and so after a bit more testing I will be shipping this out. 

I got my new shuker:

And frankly that is the only bass I want to play right now, so expect this to come back up this weekend!