Why become a member? ×

Recommended fretboard oil?

Richard R

Hi all,
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the fretboard on my bass seemed dry, and a perhaps little rougher than I remember it. Not driftwood dry, but probably in need of TLC. I have never oiled it, but when I have cleaned the bass and strings I have usually wiped it over with one of those white microfibre sponges, and sometimes used a light guitar polish on it.

Should I be oiling it, and if so what is a recommended oil?  The fretboard is made of  "Indian Rosewood", whatever that may be. 

Many thanks as always,

Rich

Parker and Bailey lemon oil. 

TK Maxx had for six or seven quid a while ago but the cheapest I can find now is here. 

https://www.btnmusic.co.uk/product/parker-bailey-guitar-lemon-oil/?gclid=CjwKCAjw_qb3BRAVEiwAvwq6VjpOCysZObYACkU6GXyD3Gn7GQhXFxsIAzUQozO9-sfYf3fP7akJCxoCfDoQAvD_BwE

It's a big bottle and you'll likely never need to buy another. 

Edit : just noticed that it's out of stock and there's delivery on top, but have a look on ebay or amazon for it. 

Edited by Maude

1 hour ago, Paddy515 said:

I use teak oil, meant to be used on outside garden furniture but is great for r/w fingerboards too. Leaves them really dark and sleek and smelling lovely.

Which one do you use paddy, I like a dark board, does it soak in ok 

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Which one do you use paddy, I like a dark board, does it soak in ok 

Ronseal but I imagine all quality brands are very similar as its colourless.Use sparingly, wipe excess away after 10 mins and leave overnight.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Having been alerted by @Petey's reaction,  I realised I had not reported back. Tut, tut. 

Well the short answer is that the fretboard looks better and feels nicer. My son used it on his bass and said the same thing, so we're both happy. One drop in each space between frets, gently rubbed in with a paper towel.

One bottle will probably outlast me.

42 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Having been alerted by @Petey's reaction,  I realised I had not reported back. Tut, tut. 

Well the short answer is that the fretboard looks better and feels nicer. My son used it on his bass and said the same thing, so we're both happy. One drop in each space between frets, gently rubbed in with a paper towel.

One bottle will probably outlast me.

Yes, somebody gifted me one of those Dunlop system 65 kits about 8 years ago. I'm about half way down the guitar polish but the other bottles are mostly untouched. A little really goes a long way!