Why become a member? ×

Super Jazz

ClassicVibes

Following on from this Revelation thread: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/435124-revelation-rbj-67/

I decided to purchase one due to the rave reviews they had been getting on Basschat. The bass arrived yesterday and I was pretty impressed for a bass that costs so little. The bass felt really solid and played quite well straight out of the box. The Entwistle JBXN pickups are powerful enough to break walls - these things have a huge output!

I needed a little project in lockdown to keep me going and have plenty of parts waiting to be installed... so decided to make the Revelation into a super Jazz.

This is what the bass looked like when I received it (I forgot to take pictures):

Full-Front_12288ac3-9d8d-4025-960a-c4ed8

Body-Front_572ff9d8-ccf8-4370-b95e-05641

Edited by ClassicVibes
  • Like 2

181C27A8-2309-4CB6-B01A-8E14E68B5932.jpeg

The next stage - pop the hood and see what's underneath. A mysterious hole north east of the neck pickup. Large route for the neck pickup (but a tidy job nonetheless). Soldering was of a decent standard in the control cavity. 

The body and pickups will definitely be staying but everything else is up for grabs. The first stop on my modding journey will be to install a Ki0gon solderless wiring loom... which coincidentally, has just arrived in the post! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

To be installed this evening...

17D7FC12-BD03-4038-86F8-ED797F2D0B07.jpeg.044165eb15f658be77071921b3b003c5.jpeg

I often hear of these "Ki0gon solderless wiring" looms, but have always been to shy to ask what they are, why they're desirable and how do you know you need them. 

4 hours ago, Geek99 said:

An active one with a few tweaks that Leo didn’t think of, is my guess

Pretty much. But may include anything that the owner percieves to be an upgrade, including, but not limited to;

Pickups, Neck swaps, bridge replacements, active EQ, passive modifications (as per the Kiogon loom), Tuner changes, other aesthetic or functional alterations.. 

Many companies sell such items, Sadowsky being a fine example. I'd suggest that the only aspects that would prevent a bass being described as a "super jazz" would be a move away from 2 single coils in loosely the correct position and the retention of some sort of offset body shape.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

I often hear of these "Ki0gon solderless wiring" looms, but have always been to shy to ask what they are, why they're desirable and how do you know you need them. 

It’s because he makes them in his toadstool home from purest fairy wire and pixie pots before breathing liquid magic over them @KiOgon

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

It’s because he makes them in his toadstool home from purest fairy wire and pixie pots before breathing liquid magic over them @KiOgon

Ah, well that explains it. 

I just need to know what 'it' means in this particular context. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I heard that he made them out of the bones of pixies and glued them together with rendered fairy wings.

92F27111-37C9-4056-867D-BFAE26B68A10.jpeg.9225549fa9aacb9643a6dcedc6b03d37.jpeg

Installed and ready to try out!

Just ran it through my Peavey Micro Bass and thought I had wired something incorrectly... it was actually the pickups. They are so powerful that the little Peavey speaker can't handle it so it started to distort! All controls working with no scratchy pots. Now, on to the next mod...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, stewblack said:

OK so it's solderless, but what does it do differently from the stuff already in the bass?

I’ve got a ki0gon loom in all 4 of mine.  I suppose if you buy a top quality bass with top quality parts you won’t need it, but the components were upgrades for each of mine, so made a noticeable (jv p) to very noticeable (Hohner Jack & a bitsa based on a lower quality squire), and pleasing, difference in all 4 basses.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

OK so it's solderless, but what does it do differently from the stuff already in the bass?

Easy - better quality parts means a better output and more definition in your tone. Imagine the engine in your car and rebuilding it with better parts. :)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, stewblack said:

As discussed above, really. The clue to the Electric Bass's core technology is in the name. So upgrading the electrons is a major factor in the sound it makes, more than messing around with hi-mass bridges and other minor bits and bobs. Puts Fodera quality in a cheap-as-chips bass whose makers are likely to build down to a price. Going to @KiOgon is worth at least 50 points for Gryfindor. But 5 points will be taken away because he doesn't always tell you that quality modern pots need a 3/8" hole.  OK he did tell me but hasn't in the past, which assumes you have some means of enlarging your current holes. And another 5 points will be taken away because while his looms are solderless persuading the bridge earth wire to go in the same screw-down hole as one of the pickup wires can take a while and a lot of uncouth swearing unless you're lucky - one keeps jumping out.  It would be handy if he supplied some sort of crimp-over adaptor to make two wires one.  Or you can use a soldering iron, if you have one, to solder the two wires together before inserting them in his solderless gizmo.  

Edited by lownote12

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

When your bass isn't delivering the sounds you want and was put together saving every penny possible on components and the lack of skilled workers?

14 hours ago, Si600 said:

I heard that he made them out of the bones of pixies and glued them together with rendered fairy wings.

That's only around christmas and special holidays when my elves come and help in my man cave 🧚‍♂️

13 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Yup, liquid magic on top 

You might get a kit mounted on part of a cardbord box that used to contain a magic liquid, that's what he means 😄

13 hours ago, Geek99 said:

No, that’s his evil twin di0gon 

He's only my half twin 👱‍♂️

12 hours ago, stewblack said:

Different is working properly, as it should 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

I just twisted the ground wire and pickup wire together. Seemed to work a treat!

Trouble is I like me bare ends short so nothing sticks out and touches other wires.  But then I've got too little to twist. Again... like we did last summer, dum de dum.. last year....