Why become a member? ×

Multi effects Vs di box

zonular

DI is essential for plugging into a PA or desk for providing a balanced signal with the correct impedance. Multi FX are great for making awesome space noises and such. 

Some fx units will provide a line level signal, which is louder than standard bass/fx pedal outputs, which might be the right impedance, or balanced, or not.

I think the original Zoom B3?has a dedicated DI output as well as a normal 1/4” output, so that might be worth looking at.

Depends what your budget is.

Loads of options, the B1 Four has plenty of fans, the B3n as well. Boss do the GT1B as well. You could pick something else up second hand.

If you know you're way around the Zoom pedals, stick with them, and use the excuse that your old pedal is being "loaned out" to get something new.

If you budget over £200, then the market opens up a wee bit more.

• Like 1

Depends how you practice.

I like to jam along to songs, so I like a stereo line in that I can mix to taste.

I have a Zoom b3, but it lacks that facility. I've used a Korg Pandora PX4d, but it's pots are worn out.

I've settled on a cheap multi-track mixing desk. It may have no built in fx, but it does have a blendable loop, and if you want a stomp box as a front end, it can deliver 48v phantom power if needed, so only one cable to the box. Keeps it tidy.

It's also really clean-sounding, is all analogue and can really drive a "proper" pair of headphones.

Best part is its flexibility. It's been partnered with various stomp boxes and pre-amps, myriad different basses, fed power amps to drive cabs. There's not a device that I can't patch into it one way or another. It's about 30cm² by about 5 cm deep and sits on a desk in the corner, permanently ready to go.

If I record again, I'll take it along just as a personal headphone monitor mixer. I've had problems with the sound I've had back from the desk before, and this would have eliminated that, too.