Why become a member? ×

Most expensive bass you've come across

Was going to post just that! Here's the Reverb store:

https://reverb.com/brand/papian-ezo?product_type=bass-guitars 

Here's Reverb's bass category, sorted by price in descending order, for sh*ts and giggles.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/bass-guitars?sort=price|desc

This one has to take the cake, although I have to assume that's a typo or a mistake in exchange rate by the Japanese seller:

https://reverb.com/item/27777222-atelier-z-m265-jerry-barnes-free-shipping

Edited by LeftyJ

On 15/06/2020 at 12:34, Barking Spiders said:

Just seen this Alembic on EBay for  nearly £11k. Has anyone come across a bass that tops even this price?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-Alembic-Series-II-SSB-Short-Scale-Bass-the-Ultimate-Stanley-bass/174034172591?hash=item28853ebaaf:g:qisAAOSwaPNb6Zzs

Sure, nearly any new Alembic for starters. And then of course a nice upright can easily cost double or triple that figure.

I may be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, Jens doesn't have a price list posted on his site. I've had a couple of exchanges with him and Christophe and it seems you can pretty much order any of the Ritter bass models with whatever spec you care to dream up. Some of the Royal Family basses have gemstones and/or precious metals set into them, so you could easily spend above anything that has been mentioned here already.

I also had a conversation with Mica at Alembic a couple of years ago around ordering a Spyder bass. The quote was over $20k; $4k of that was for the silver spider web inlays. I managed to pick one up second hand a couple of months ago for considerably less. Given that it has hardly been out of it's case, I'm glad I held off.

IMG_8676.thumb.jpeg.afce850679fa4df69277c7ad6134f4a6.jpeg

Regarding Fodera. Some people like them, some people don't, but for me the Monarch is almost my perfect bass. I've had a few and they have all been outstanding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I may be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, Jens doesn't have a price list posted on his site. I've had a couple of exchanges with him and Christophe and it seems you can pretty much order any of the Ritter bass models with whatever spec you care to dream up. Some of the Royal Family basses have gemstones and/or precious metals set into them, so you could easily spend above anything that has been mentioned here already.

I also had a conversation with Mica at Alembic a couple of years ago around ordering a Spyder bass. The quote was over $20k; $4k of that was for the silver spider web inlays. I managed to pick one up second hand a couple of months ago for considerably less. Given that it has hardly been out of it's case, I'm glad I held off.

IMG_8676.thumb.jpeg.afce850679fa4df69277c7ad6134f4a6.jpeg

Regarding Fodera. Some people like them, some people don't, but for me the Monarch is almost my perfect bass. I've had a few and they have all been outstanding.

If I came into enough money tomorrow I'd be calling Fodera and ordering a monarch 6. For me its a beautifully elegant and compact design, especially with 33" scale and 16.5mm spacing

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, funkypenguin said:

If I came into enough money tomorrow I'd be calling Fodera and ordering a monarch 6. For me its a beautifully elegant and compact design, especially with 33" scale and 16.5mm spacing

Well, I hope you win the lottery or something so you can achieve your dream bass 🤞

• Like 1

The only Fodera I like the actual design of is the Matt Garrison.

For me, it’s the only great-looking singlecut.

EDIT:

Forgot the original W&T Zoid, that looked great. The newer version is a mess IMO. It looks like kid tried to copy the original and failed.

Edited by 4000

Have to disagree with you there; The AJ Presentation (the original one, not the hideous semi-acoustic one with the holly top) is a masterpiece of design and is for me the only single cut bass that works visually. Having played two of them, they also balance perfectly when seated, and whilst they both initially sounded quite “ordinary”, after an hour’s playing... astounding. If I had the money I would have no hesitation in ordering one. And a snip at $20,450 :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2020 at 22:39, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Jens does have a ratecard that’s supplied to dealers but he doesn’t publish them. One simple reason was that he sells all over the world & it was a major hassle keeping on top of exchange rate fluctuations. 

• Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 22:22, FDC484950 said:

Have to disagree with you there; The AJ Presentation (the original one, not the hideous semi-acoustic one with the holly top) is a masterpiece of design and is for me the only single cut bass that works visually. Having played two of them, they also balance perfectly when seated, and whilst they both initially sounded quite “ordinary”, after an hour’s playing... astounding. If I had the money I would have no hesitation in ordering one. And a snip at $20,450 :)

I really don’t like the look of the AJ. The lines don’t flow at all.
If I had $20k I wouldn’t be going to Fodera, because I’ve never played one I particularly liked. To be honest, I’d probably spend it on a few different things; another Wal Pro, a vintage Thumb, a ‘60s Ric, another custom Sei. I’d probably still have change. If I was to go with one bass it’d have to be Alembic. 

Edited by 4000

I’ve been lucky enough to play and own plenty of expensive wood. Custom builds, namm specials and such from a few builders. Fodera, I get why people like them, and they are beautifully made, but to me they always sound a bit bland and lacking. Kinda generic like if u pick “bass guitar” on a midi DAW .Fantastic as a start point, and play wonderfully but sonically grey, and visually just not my thing. 

Edited by roonjuice