Jump to content

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, BCH said:

Just collected from " Chiliwailer" fantastic bass & easy transaction

The short scale stock is increasing!!!!C3869EF7-C80D-425B-A22D-65CC8660DE4E.thumb.jpeg.c0c59fbb0cf2bf9540ba6d6811509e6d.thumb.jpg.4b389cce6c085aed75165166959a4ef8.jpg1E15A53B-5CC0-4F9B-AEA5-0D5399B857B0.thumb.jpeg.7a93e9bd7fbebef74a2fbfe59fb3726b.jpg.ac50fad869df7359ddc3f0b9f789bb96.jpg

I now have serious bass envy! I am trying to be zen and tell myself I have this space covered by my Vox Starstream H1 but it is not working too well. Enjoy!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Finally gigged the jaguar SS. Small bass, big sound. Lot of fun, think I prefer a 34" though.

 

Played my SS Jag the other week and found it ok dialled in with mostly P. . . the J is notoriously weak but I found the P ok. . . that is until I A/B'd it with my newly acquired used Squier VM PJ. That bass's pickups smoked those of the jag, even using P only on both, the Jag pickups were seriously lacking, to the point where I'm not sure I want to play it until I've replaced them with a P/J pickup set. 

 

Looking at the specs for both of the discontinued Squiers I have, the pickups are:

 

Squier VM Jaguar short scale:

Neck: Split single coil Precision bass 

Bridge: Single coil Jazz bass 

 

Squier VM Precision PJ:

Neck: Fender-Designed Split single coil Precision bass 

Bridge: Fender-Designed Single coil Jazz bass 

 

I accept that the SS Jag was a very cheap bass, and as such I guess the stock pickups are about as basic as it gets. Did anyone change out the pickups on their SS Jag for a full upgraded P/J set, and if so what for? I believe the EMG Geezers & DiMarzio DP126 sets are popular. Not sure how much money I want to throw at it, as I'm still on the fence with short scale, but I want to give it a fair crack, and feel I can only do that with better pickups in it. Thanks. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dmc79 said:

 

Played my SS Jag the other week and found it ok dialled in with mostly P. . . the J is notoriously weak but I found the P ok. . . that is until I A/B'd it with my newly acquired used Squier VM PJ. That bass's pickups smoked those of the jag, even using P only on both, the Jag pickups were seriously lacking, to the point where I'm not sure I want to play it until I've replaced them with a P/J pickup set. 

 

Looking at the specs for both of the discontinued Squiers I have, the pickups are:

 

Squier VM Jaguar short scale:

Neck: Split single coil Precision bass 

Bridge: Single coil Jazz bass 

 

Squier VM Precision PJ:

Neck: Fender-Designed Split single coil Precision bass 

Bridge: Fender-Designed Single coil Jazz bass 

 

I accept that the SS Jag was a very cheap bass, and as such I guess the stock pickups are about as basic as it gets. Did anyone change out the pickups on their SS Jag for a full upgraded P/J set, and if so what for? I believe the EMG Geezers & DiMarzio DP126 sets are popular. Not sure how much money I want to throw at it, as I'm still on the fence with short scale, but I want to give it a fair crack, and feel I can only do that with better pickups in it. Thanks. 

 

 

 

 

I put the DiMarzio set on my (full size) PJ and love them. Great colour too. 🙂 

88D4BFEE-BC0E-42FE-BB7D-035387CCBBF4.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dmc79 said:

 

Played my SS Jag the other week and found it ok dialled in with mostly P. . . the J is notoriously weak but I found the P ok. . . that is until I A/B'd it with my newly acquired used Squier VM PJ. That bass's pickups smoked those of the jag, even using P only on both, the Jag pickups were seriously lacking, to the point where I'm not sure I want to play it until I've replaced them with a P/J pickup set. 

 

Looking at the specs for both of the discontinued Squiers I have, the pickups are:

 

Squier VM Jaguar short scale:

Neck: Split single coil Precision bass 

Bridge: Single coil Jazz bass 

 

Squier VM Precision PJ:

Neck: Fender-Designed Split single coil Precision bass 

Bridge: Fender-Designed Single coil Jazz bass 

 

I accept that the SS Jag was a very cheap bass, and as such I guess the stock pickups are about as basic as it gets. Did anyone change out the pickups on their SS Jag for a full upgraded P/J set, and if so what for? I believe the EMG Geezers & DiMarzio DP126 sets are popular. Not sure how much money I want to throw at it, as I'm still on the fence with short scale, but I want to give it a fair crack, and feel I can only do that with better pickups in it. Thanks. 

 

 

 

 

+1 for the DiMarzios and I put mine in my Squier SS Jag when I had it. They are good and the 4 wire thing allows you to play around with wiring options that give you a few more tones.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/06/2022 at 18:14, dmckee said:

I put the DiMarzio set on my (full size) PJ and love them. Great colour too. 🙂 

88D4BFEE-BC0E-42FE-BB7D-035387CCBBF4.jpeg

Thats a classic, what scale?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BCH said:

Thats a classic, what scale?

34”. It’s a Maruszczyk Jake.  Chambered body, 71 profile neck (originally bought/specc’d by @wateroftyne I think). Lovely lightweight bass, although I have a GAS problem with a Wilcock Mullarkey right now so may sell it, if that doesn’t pass. 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dmckee said:

34”. It’s a Maruszczyk Jake.  Chambered body, 71 profile neck (originally bought/specc’d by @wateroftyne I think). Lovely lightweight bass, although I have a GAS problem with a Wilcock Mullarkey right now so may sell it, if that doesn’t pass. 🙄

If you get a chance to play a Mullarkey, give it a go - it changed a lot for me. Viv is building simple but spectacularly good basses. Execution is world class

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Who makes good gig bags for shorties?

 

Any ideas?

That's a tricky one, there's very little out there.
Bags made for offset Fender guitars, Jags and Jazzmasters tend to fit pretty well though, I know Gator do one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll have to look into it more.

 

My 32 scale stuff is ok in a long bag, but my shorty doesn't fit as the long bag (Mono) has a neck cradle thing and the shorty headstock gets in the way.

 

I wonder if Sandberg do a proper shorty bag for the Lionels? Their bags are pretty good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Who makes good gig bags for shorties?

 

Any ideas?

Fender do a specific SS gigbag as do Maruszczyk and then there’s the TGI Extreme (doesn’t fit a Mustang). There was a thread about SS cases and bags a while back.

Edited by ezbass
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Fender do a specific SS gigbag as do Maruszczyk and then there’s the TGI Extreme (doesn’t fir a Mustang). There was a thread about SS cases and bags a while back.

TGI do not make short scale bass bags, regardless of what Bass Direct tell you ;) 

They only make guitar and full scale bass bags, if your short scale bass has a minuscule headstock, or even better, is headless, it will fit in a TGI guitar bag though...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, eude said:

TGI do not make short scale bass bags, regardless of what Bass Direct tell you ;) 

They only make guitar and full scale bass bags, if your short scale bass has a minuscule headstock, or even better, is headless, it will fit in a TGI guitar bag though...

Top knowledge, thank you for that.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, eude said:

TGI do not make short scale bass bags, regardless of what Bass Direct tell you ;) 

They only make guitar and full scale bass bags, if your short scale bass has a minuscule headstock, or even better, is headless, it will fit in a TGI guitar bag though...

Yep. Learnt this the hard way…. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I wonder if Sandberg do a proper shorty bag for the Lionels? Their bags are pretty good. 

 

I don't think so, at least my Sandberg shorty came with a standard long scale bag. I've padded out the bottom of the bag with a couple of beer towels and it's a reasonable-ish fit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eude said:

TGI do not make short scale bass bags, regardless of what Bass Direct tell you ;) 

They only make guitar and full scale bass bags, if your short scale bass has a minuscule headstock, or even better, is headless, it will fit in a TGI guitar bag though...

 

Got a TGI gig bag recently, I presume it's a bass one, my SS Jaguar fits in with about 3 inches to spare. The padding is quite basic and it feels a bit flimsy, no weight to it, so a light bass swings about a bit as you carry it. 

 

28E40EB6-E785-4058-A01D-BFB3DC18743B.jpeg

1F1ECCCF-6044-4546-8CBF-ED2D5BFFBD70.jpeg

Edited by dmc79
Add photos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Merton said:

PS - I have the Gator gigbag designed for a Jazzmaster and it’s perfect for both my shorties :)

 

I was looking one of those, whats the padding like?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

I use my Protection Racket semi-rigid case for all of my basses. The neck support is velcroed in, so I move it down when transporting my Mustang and it feels really secure.

 

https://www.protectionracket.com/products/guitar-cases/item/bass-guitar-case-standard

Looking at the dimensions, these guys do a classical guitar bag that is long enough internally for a Fender Mustang Bass >> https://www.protectionracket.com/products/guitar-cases/item/classical-guitar-case-standard possibly a little too deep though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...