Why become a member? ×

Lovely bass. Tell us more about your Dub King, Pinball. I've been considering getting one of these but wasn't sure about the body size. I have the Reverend Sentinel short scale and it is very comfortable to play but the DK body seems a good bit bigger. I also have a Mercalli 4 string and love the tone from the pickups. The Sentinel though has sort of ruined things for me and I am finding it harder to go back to playing my 34" scales. The Dub King is also the only SS they do with that pickup config. Wouldn't be interested in the Wattplower.

Edited by sPiKi
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, sPiKi said:

Lovely bass. Tell us more about your Dub King, Pinball. I've been considering getting one of these but wasn't sure about the body size

I wanted something to complement my Fallout which I love but is like an angry wasp and saw this one come up so took a punt on it un-played. My plan was to put flats on it as I wanted something deep sounding.

It came with flats and to be honest I struggled as it was so deep that it lacked presence in the mix. The original rounds were in the case so I put them on and was blown away with the resulting tones. The sound is as the name suggests "dubby" and very musical.

The controls are vol/tone/balance. I tend to set the vol and tone where I want them and then change the sound with the balance. Neck pup is very dark, bridge is brighter and there is no noticeable change in volume when changing the bias between the two. You can hear Andy Irvine exploring one in the same way here:  

The playing position very comfortable either standing or seated. Yes it is wide but it isn't much thicker than most solid bodies. Fit and finish is great.

The only thing that I may change is the plastic balance knob, which spins a bit to easily for me but that is minor and easy to resolve and to be honest I have got used to it.

Overall I'm delighted with it!

I would love to get my hands on a long scale Reverend to try sometime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2021 at 14:23, EssentialTension said:

Fender Mustang Bass, crafted in Japan sometime between 1999 and 2002, sporting a Fiesta Red finish and an aftermarket brown tort pickguard.

IMG_1972.thumb.jpg.ded153b6ca310499e7ab273bed3aa863.jpg

Nice, I had one from this era with the comp stripe.  Lovely basses.

Mustang.jpg

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, meterman said:

Those ltd edition silver sparkle Squier Mustangs with the humbucker were excellent, they should do a reissue of them 👍

Still got the Mikey Way sig, it’s still my main gigging bass in the Glamrock tribute act I play in. Punch well above their cost bracket. And yes I’d have another if they were reissued.

BD76F892-52F6-4E70-A078-E7E8A5E1134A.jpeg

BADA9271-D82A-40E1-BE42-7B3DEC67A728.jpeg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, martthebass said:

Still got the Mikey Way sig, it’s still my main gigging bass in the Glamrock tribute act I play in. Punch well above their cost bracket. And yes I’d have another if they were reissued.

BD76F892-52F6-4E70-A078-E7E8A5E1134A.jpeg

BADA9271-D82A-40E1-BE42-7B3DEC67A728.jpeg

Fantastic!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TK4261 said:

Here is my heavily modded Squier Mini P Bass...Great little couch Bass and sounds good also :hi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRW1_4Zd3uw

jNqz7be.jpg

I really like this bass and I like the term 'couch bass'.  My recently acquired Ibanez Mikro is now my 'couch bass'.  Just need to wait for my back pain to subside before I get back into practising 🙂

I just watched the linked video - the bass sounds really nice and full and perfect for what you're doing on that track. A little hint of Rickenbacker on that fast lick near the end - lovely.

Edited by jazzburger
Watched the video for extra bass-geekery
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having moved out of my old house 6 months ago and the majority of my belongings going into storage, I have finally been reunited with all of my stuff (way too much stuff it seems, not the bass stuff you understand ;) ). Anyway, I cleaned the fretboard of my new JMJ Mustang with my never ending supply of lemon oil and the ‘board now looks lovely. I also restrung with a spare set of old EB cobalt flats (long scale); it sounds so good. The bodies on my other basses now seem big and cumbersome by comparison to the Mustang and just don’t have the same tonal gravitas. The JMJ is looking more and more like a keeper.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ezbass said:

Having moved out of my old house 6 months ago and the majority of my belongings going into storage, I have finally been reunited with all of my stuff (way too much stuff it seems, not the bass stuff you understand ;) ). Anyway, I cleaned the fretboard of my new JMJ Mustang with my never ending supply of lemon oil and the ‘board now looks lovely. I also restrung with a spare set of old EB cobalt flats (long scale); it sounds so good. The bodies on my other basses now seem big and cumbersome by comparison to the Mustang and just don’t have the same tonal gravitas. The JMJ is looking more and more like a keeper.

The rosewood board on mine seemed a bit dry from new so it's had a couple of coats of lemon oil and D'Addario fretboard conditioner (not at the same time) over the 15 months or so that I've owned it and the board looks and feels so much better now. Obviously the lemon oil has completely ruined it but I persevere none the less. Generations of inbreeding, see. 

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Kill the witch! Kill the witch!

You're gonna need a bigger pyre, Stub. 

And even though I didn't mind the stock (presumably Fender) flats that came with it, and I say that as someone who is definitely not a flats guy, I highly recommend restringing the JMJ with rounds. There, I said it. Stick rounds on it. I always felt there was something missing with flats on, definition I suppose, but with rounds it just breathes more. Much more. I don't go for a super bright clanky sound but there is much more clarity and detail with rounds. The inherent short scale tubbiness covers the thumpy aspect of the tone as does that monstrous pickup but the rounds add that extra dimension to the tone that, IMO, was previously missing. 

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Kill the witch! Kill the witch!

tenor.gif?itemid=15215416

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Osiris said:

And even though I didn't mind the stock (presumably Fender) flats that came with it, and I say that as someone who is definitely not a flats guy, I highly recommend restringing the JMJ with rounds. There, I said it. Stick rounds on it. I always felt there was something missing with flats on, definition I suppose, but with rounds it just breathes more. Much more. I don't go for a super bright clanky sound but there is much more clarity and detail with rounds. The inherent short scale tubbiness covers the thumpy aspect of the tone as does that monstrous pickup but the rounds add that extra dimension to the tone that, IMO, was previously missing. 

There’s a guy on YouTube who has the most awesome tone on a JMJ, he’s strung his with GHS Boomers. 

I had a happy accident when I fitted the cobalts, the E string started to come unravelled within the silks as I started to fit it (a quick chop with the cutters stopped that). As I was carrying these as spares, a potential calamity was avoided.

EDIT: Found one the videos

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ezbass said:

There’s a guy on YouTube who has the most awesome tone on a JMJ, he’s strung his with GHS Boomers. 

I had a happy accident when I fitted the cobalts, the E string started to come unravelled within the silks as I started to fit it (a quick chop with the cutters stopped that). As I was carrying these as spares, a potential calamity was avoided.

That's not a million miles away from the tone I have got with mine stung with D'Addario Nickel 50-105's although mine are standard 34" scale cut to fit but with the through body stringing there's not a lot to cut off when first fitting them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

GHS Boomers

I can't take Boomers (or many other things) seriously since first hearing this.

Full shred.

Pre-amp, pro-sound performance
Groove tube
Killer caps
You're a Strat cat
Patch in
Dangerous distortion
Serious sustain

Slinky, super slinky
Boomers double-ball ends
It'll phase, it'll flange, it'll fuzz
It's fast, it's flexible
Just feel those frets

A simulated comb filter
For steroizing a mono source
It's got a scaled-down Strat-style body
With the feel of a Les Paul

Deep cutaways, no pickguard
And a couple of chromebuckers:
Full shred!

Stiff neck, brass nut and an ebony fingerboard
Ball's deluxe

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

I see Soame are knocking it out of the park again with the visuals...

264F2138-E1E0-4A15-8CC0-2FF5C8CA2502.jpeg

Yep, their Instagram page is pure filth, I’m lucky my Argentinian friend isn’t still there or my bank account would be very heavily in the red 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rumple said:

I shall shortly be joining the club 😀

Do tell.

Wilcock basses have obviously been reading my mind and have made one of their MMs in a trans, ‘burst finish. Nurse, nurse, the screens! I have raging GAS!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Do tell.

I've been into medium scale basses for quite a while and had a couple (still got one) SX Gypsy Rose's that I really like so it seemed silly not to bid and surprisingly win an SX short scale Precision on eBay last night!

• Like 3