Why become a member? ×

On 13/06/2022 at 13:29, BCH said:

Just collected from " Chiliwailer" fantastic bass & easy transaction

The short scale stock is increasing!!!!C3869EF7-C80D-425B-A22D-65CC8660DE4E.thumb.jpeg.c0c59fbb0cf2bf9540ba6d6811509e6d.thumb.jpg.4b389cce6c085aed75165166959a4ef8.jpg1E15A53B-5CC0-4F9B-AEA5-0D5399B857B0.thumb.jpeg.7a93e9bd7fbebef74a2fbfe59fb3726b.jpg.ac50fad869df7359ddc3f0b9f789bb96.jpg

I've never played a Stingray, and am not a Sunburst fan, but this looks pretty awesome. That roasted maple neck, holy cow! 

I've ordered the parts for a SS 6 build. My new job will have me going right past a major timber supplier soon, so I suspect some of my pay will be staying there. There are ideas circulating on my mind, and exact details are yet to be sorted, but suffice as to say, it will be my take on an SRC6.

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Finger ramp.

Makes sense now, but I should have seen it. I'm so used to thinking of them between pickups like on my BTB, it didn't occur to me that's what it was. Plus I don't think I've ever seen one on an SR.

44 minutes ago, crazycloud said:

I've never found the need for one.

On a ‘Ray, I’ve always found the pickup perfectly place for me to rest my thumb when playing the E string. It appears that Tim Commerford likes to have his hand further north (it being his signature model).

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

On a ‘Ray, I’ve always found the pickup perfectly place for me to rest my thumb when playing the E string. It appears that Tim Commerford likes to have his hand further north (it being his signature model).

Thanks for the info, but still never used one on a 4, let alone now on a 5 or 6; I was taught floating thumb from my first lesson. You can get a lot of tonal variation simply by moving the plucking hand position, so much so that for years I never varied my EQ on my amp, just changed how and where I played. Not better/worse, just different technique and giving my perspective.

The finger rest design here also doesn't look like your typical Fender one, so my initial look at the pic didn't register that that's what it was.

3 minutes ago, crazycloud said:

Thanks for the info, but still never used one on a 4, let alone now on a 5 or 6; I was taught floating thumb from my first lesson. You can get a lot of tonal variation simply by moving the plucking hand position, so much so that for years I never varied my EQ on my amp, just changed how and where I played. Not better/worse, just different technique and giving my perspective.

The finger rest design here also doesn't look like your typical Fender one, so my initial look at the pic didn't register that that's what it was.

The first ramp I came across was on a Fender Roscoe Beck signature and then on an Ibanez Gary Willis. They seem to have become quite de rigueur with a number of modern players.

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

For anyone who cares or is interested, Anderton's have a number of the Indian made, Chowny SWB Pros in stock, at £850.

They look lush. If I didn’t like you so much I’d say you were evil……😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

They look lush. If I didn’t like you so much I’d say you were evil……😆

A faint sound wafted through the air. People turned their heads to make out what it was. Was it a foreign language or speaking in tongues? No, it was laughter - evil laughter!

“Mwah, ha, ha!”

• Haha 2

going back to the gig bag question, I've got a Gretsch Junior Jet bag which is a very good quality bag. It fits my Musicmonster, LPJT doublecut and, perhaps not surprisingly, my GJJ.

Just watching the coverage of Glastonbury on the Beeb and they had a clip of Caribou. I think the bassist was playing a Talman 5 string shorty (TMB-35), unless there is something posher that looks very similar and comes in that mint green colour. If it was a Talman, that is quite an endorsement for a bass that costs a bit over £200.

1 hour ago, Obrienp said:

Just watching the coverage of Glastonbury on the Beeb and they had a clip of Caribou. I think the bassist was playing a Talman 5 string shorty (TMB-35), unless there is something posher that looks very similar and comes in that mint green colour. If it was a Talman, that is quite an endorsement for a bass that costs a bit over £200.

There is a talman 605 which has nordstrand pickups, but it isn't the mint colour.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

There is a talman 605 which has nordstrand pickups, but it isn't the mint colour.

Not short scale either.

But doesn't Reverend have a short scale bass that, while not exactly looking like a Talmand, looks a bit like it?

Or am I remembering all wrong here?

In any case basses in that price class are actually really great instruments at this point, that is at least if you get one of the good ones, quality control still seems to be pretty lacking and there's a relatively big variation of the quality level between individual units, but update one of the good ones with a quality set of pickups and you'll have a genuinely great bass.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

In any case basses in that price class are actually really great instruments at this point, that is at least if you get one of the good ones, quality control still seems to be pretty lacking and there's a relatively big variation of the quality level between individual units, but update one the good ones with a quality set of pickups and you'll have a genuinely great bass.

Good point, and well reminded. I think I will play the TMB35 at tomorrows gig.

• Like 2