Why become a member? ×

24 minutes ago, BCH said:

Just collected from " Chiliwailer" fantastic bass & easy transaction

The short scale stock is increasing!!!!C3869EF7-C80D-425B-A22D-65CC8660DE4E.thumb.jpeg.c0c59fbb0cf2bf9540ba6d6811509e6d.thumb.jpg.4b389cce6c085aed75165166959a4ef8.jpg1E15A53B-5CC0-4F9B-AEA5-0D5399B857B0.thumb.jpeg.7a93e9bd7fbebef74a2fbfe59fb3726b.jpg.ac50fad869df7359ddc3f0b9f789bb96.jpg

I now have serious bass envy! I am trying to be zen and tell myself I have this space covered by my Vox Starstream H1 but it is not working too well. Enjoy!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Finally gigged the jaguar SS. Small bass, big sound. Lot of fun, think I prefer a 34" though.

Played my SS Jag the other week and found it ok dialled in with mostly P. . . the J is notoriously weak but I found the P ok. . . that is until I A/B'd it with my newly acquired used Squier VM PJ. That bass's pickups smoked those of the jag, even using P only on both, the Jag pickups were seriously lacking, to the point where I'm not sure I want to play it until I've replaced them with a P/J pickup set. 

Looking at the specs for both of the discontinued Squiers I have, the pickups are:

Squier VM Jaguar short scale:

Neck: Split single coil Precision bass 

Bridge: Single coil Jazz bass 

Squier VM Precision PJ:

Neck: Fender-Designed Split single coil Precision bass 

Bridge: Fender-Designed Single coil Jazz bass 

I accept that the SS Jag was a very cheap bass, and as such I guess the stock pickups are about as basic as it gets. Did anyone change out the pickups on their SS Jag for a full upgraded P/J set, and if so what for? I believe the EMG Geezers & DiMarzio DP126 sets are popular. Not sure how much money I want to throw at it, as I'm still on the fence with short scale, but I want to give it a fair crack, and feel I can only do that with better pickups in it. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, dmc79 said:

Played my SS Jag the other week and found it ok dialled in with mostly P. . . the J is notoriously weak but I found the P ok. . . that is until I A/B'd it with my newly acquired used Squier VM PJ. That bass's pickups smoked those of the jag, even using P only on both, the Jag pickups were seriously lacking, to the point where I'm not sure I want to play it until I've replaced them with a P/J pickup set. 

Looking at the specs for both of the discontinued Squiers I have, the pickups are:

Squier VM Precision PJ:

I accept that the SS Jag was a very cheap bass, and as such I guess the stock pickups are about as basic as it gets. Did anyone change out the pickups on their SS Jag for a full upgraded P/J set, and if so what for? I believe the EMG Geezers & DiMarzio DP126 sets are popular. Not sure how much money I want to throw at it, as I'm still on the fence with short scale, but I want to give it a fair crack, and feel I can only do that with better pickups in it. Thanks. 

I put the DiMarzio set on my (full size) PJ and love them. Great colour too. 🙂 

88D4BFEE-BC0E-42FE-BB7D-035387CCBBF4.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dmc79 said:

Squier VM Precision PJ:

+1 for the DiMarzios and I put mine in my Squier SS Jag when I had it. They are good and the 4 wire thing allows you to play around with wiring options that give you a few more tones.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BCH said:

Thats a classic, what scale?

34”. It’s a Maruszczyk Jake.  Chambered body, 71 profile neck (originally bought/specc’d by @wateroftyne I think). Lovely lightweight bass, although I have a GAS problem with a Wilcock Mullarkey right now so may sell it, if that doesn’t pass. 🙄

1 hour ago, dmckee said:

34”. It’s a Maruszczyk Jake.  Chambered body, 71 profile neck (originally bought/specc’d by @wateroftyne I think). Lovely lightweight bass, although I have a GAS problem with a Wilcock Mullarkey right now so may sell it, if that doesn’t pass. 🙄

If you get a chance to play a Mullarkey, give it a go - it changed a lot for me. Viv is building simple but spectacularly good basses. Execution is world class

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Who makes good gig bags for shorties?

Any ideas?

That's a tricky one, there's very little out there.
Bags made for offset Fender guitars, Jags and Jazzmasters tend to fit pretty well though, I know Gator do one.

• Like 1

I'll have to look into it more.

My 32 scale stuff is ok in a long bag, but my shorty doesn't fit as the long bag (Mono) has a neck cradle thing and the shorty headstock gets in the way.

I wonder if Sandberg do a proper shorty bag for the Lionels? Their bags are pretty good. 

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Who makes good gig bags for shorties?

Any ideas?

Fender do a specific SS gigbag as do Maruszczyk and then there’s the TGI Extreme (doesn’t fit a Mustang). There was a thread about SS cases and bags a while back.

Edited by ezbass

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Fender do a specific SS gigbag as do Maruszczyk and then there’s the TGI Extreme (doesn’t fir a Mustang). There was a thread about SS cases and bags a while back.

TGI do not make short scale bass bags, regardless of what Bass Direct tell you ;) 

They only make guitar and full scale bass bags, if your short scale bass has a minuscule headstock, or even better, is headless, it will fit in a TGI guitar bag though...

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, eude said:

TGI do not make short scale bass bags, regardless of what Bass Direct tell you ;) 

They only make guitar and full scale bass bags, if your short scale bass has a minuscule headstock, or even better, is headless, it will fit in a TGI guitar bag though...

Top knowledge, thank you for that.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, eude said:

Yep. Learnt this the hard way…. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I wonder if Sandberg do a proper shorty bag for the Lionels? Their bags are pretty good. 

I don't think so, at least my Sandberg shorty came with a standard long scale bag. I've padded out the bottom of the bag with a couple of beer towels and it's a reasonable-ish fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eude said:

Got a TGI gig bag recently, I presume it's a bass one, my SS Jaguar fits in with about 3 inches to spare. The padding is quite basic and it feels a bit flimsy, no weight to it, so a light bass swings about a bit as you carry it. 

28E40EB6-E785-4058-A01D-BFB3DC18743B.jpeg

1F1ECCCF-6044-4546-8CBF-ED2D5BFFBD70.jpeg

Edited by dmc79
Add photos

35 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

I use my Protection Racket semi-rigid case for all of my basses. The neck support is velcroed in, so I move it down when transporting my Mustang and it feels really secure.

https://www.protectionracket.com/products/guitar-cases/item/bass-guitar-case-standard

Looking at the dimensions, these guys do a classical guitar bag that is long enough internally for a Fender Mustang Bass >> https://www.protectionracket.com/products/guitar-cases/item/classical-guitar-case-standard possibly a little too deep though.