Why become a member? ×

59 minutes ago, whave said:

We're getting a bit off-topic here :D but my pet peeve is putting bright blue LEDs into EVERYTHING. You can't buy a phone charger or a USB hub these days without it lighting up a dark room, or burning small dots into your retina if they're constantly in your field of vision.

And then I have seen people/manufacturers actually installing LEDs as markers / decoration in the bass neck... 🤮 

LEDs in the neck have been a thing for decades. Alembic / Status / Warwick - loads of makers have done that. You can even get them installed as an after fit.

The side dots can be very useful if you are on a jet black stage. The player can avoid getting a wrong note and the audience can't see it so they don't ruin the visuals.

I'm guessing you wouldn't like this though...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RichT said:

I've seen some people say they don't even do that too well - is this because they camouflage into the bird's eye maple neck? Is this maybe less of an issue on the plain darker necks of the 1505 series?

Yes, they are fine on the 1505 as the neck is dark. I had that problem before when I had luminays on a mid brown neck, you can't see the luminays at all when they aren't lit (which is most of the time), unless they have a collar (my shuker has that coloured fingerboard, but the luminays are in a brass ring which shows well in any light).

I've also seen a few people comment unfavourably on the locking jack, but also that there seems to be a particular technique to it

Yes, taking the bass off, sitting down, putting it across your lap and pressing down really hard until your finger hurts to undo the clamp. I don't tthink I ever managed to do it when I was wearing the bass.

• Like 1

By contrast I'm not a traditional Fender man, never owned a Fender bass or FSO. My main bass right up until about 2019 was my beloved headless Hohner B2A. Only when the electronics got too unreliable did I start buying new basses for the first time this century (and begin making up for lost time!) at which point I started with some Ibanez models, so in my case Ibanez + headless is an attraction for me :)

I've seen several people complain about those luminous side fretmarkers. I don't need them to be luminous, but I do need the markers to be visible under normal lighting. I've seen some people say they don't even do that too well - is this because they camouflage into the bird's eye maple neck? Is this maybe less of an issue on the plain darker necks of the 1505 series? The front fretboard dots don't bother me, I never look at them, but side markers are essential. I've also seen a few people comment unfavourably on the locking jack, but also that there seems to be a particular technique to it. Hopefully that would just be persevering to get the hang of it. 

Thank you, excellent feedback.

I wasn’t that impressed with the side markers on my EHB1000S at first but I got used to them and it didn’t cause me problems gigging it. Admittedly I tend to play pub gigs rather than dark stages. I never really tested the effectiveness of the luminous markers.

I thought the locking jack socket was great. It was a little tricky to operate when I first got it but after a few weeks I was releasing the cable one handed without even looking at it. Perhaps it eased a bit with use, or I just got used to it. 

I think it is a great little bass that you can play for hours. It balances well on a strap, is ergonomically contoured and light weight. I only sold mine because I had a long term order for a Nordstrand Acinonyx about to come to fruition (as it happens it still hasn’t arrived) and I am having to operate a one-in, one-out policy.

The locking jack doesn't have to be replaced. It's a simple job to open up the socket and remove a spring.

Then it behaves just like any other socket would.

It's a 5 minute job and a big improvement. Might as well do the Preamp Plug swap at the same time - another zero cost mod that makes a big difference.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whave said:

We're getting a bit off-topic here :D but my pet peeve is putting bright blue LEDs into EVERYTHING. You can't buy a phone charger or a USB hub these days without it lighting up a dark room, or burning small dots into your retina if they're constantly in your field of vision.

And then I have seen people/manufacturers actually installing LEDs as markers / decoration in the bass neck... 🤮 

Agreed,  one of my pet peeves too. Having said that,  my  Sei has blue side leds, specified by the previous owner. My  monitors at work have yellow tape over the blue leds.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The locking jack doesn't have to be replaced. It's a simple job to open up the socket and remove a spring.

Then it behaves just like any other socket would.

It's a 5 minute job and a big improvement. Might as well do the Preamp Plug swap at the same time - another zero cost mod that makes a big difference.

Thanks - I despise locking jacks (and actually find them potentially dangerous) - I have loads on basses and preamps.  I'm about to make the mod.

1 hour ago, three said:

Thanks - I despise locking jacks (and actually find them potentially dangerous) - I have loads on basses and preamps.  I'm about to make the mod.

Unscrew the socket mount to the bass and then pull the entire socket out of the bass.

Then on the side there is a retaining screw. Undo that and keep it safe.

The black plastic part will now slide out of the metal housing

The red plastic release button has a spring under it - lift away the red plastic and remove the spring.

Then put the red plastic button back where it was, and re-assemble.

Job done!

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest gazzatriumph
1 hour ago, whave said:

And when you get older and your eyes start to fail you will love neck markers, I don't see the point of fret board ones though except for decoration. 

8 minutes ago, gazzatriumph said:

And when you get older and your eyes start to fail you will love neck markers, I don't see the point of fret board ones though except for decoration. 

I DO love ALL sorts of neck markers! Except LED ones :) But I do see how it's beneficial to some people under some circumstances. 

On 15/05/2022 at 13:49, fretmeister said:

I have the 30-32 EHB model

Here it is with Aguilars and Flats.

This tune has plenty of B string use.

Thanks for that, loved everything about it including the gorgeous finish of your Ibby. I congratulate you on nailing the tricky timing on that piece btw! 👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Thanks for that, loved everything about it including the gorgeous finish of your Ibby. I congratulate you on nailing the tricky timing on that piece btw! 👍

The finish is a bit misleading - the green screen and chroma filter make the bass look like it has a chromaflare paint job. It hasn't - it's just the usual metallic green!

I don't have a blue screen to have a different option.

It's a great piece. The arrangement actually has it an octave up, but if I'm playing a 5 I might as well stick it lower!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Indeed - I did a picture posts on how to do it on one of the EHB thread.

6 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Agreed,  one of my pet peeves too. Having said that,  my  Sei has blue side leds, specified by the previous owner. My  monitors at work have yellow tape over the blue leds.

I love side leds. Not a fan of blue but other colours. AFAIK though, I don't think there are any that you can't turn off.

6 hours ago, three said:

Same here. OK, as I use wireless all the time it isn't so bad, but I find it cures a problem I have never had by risking several problems that I could have.

5 hours ago, gazzatriumph said:

I thought that they were there just for decoration, same as other things. And as such they are fine, although prefer it without them.

On 15/05/2022 at 19:56, uncle psychosis said:

1. I realised I'm a traditional Fender man. Being 100% honest I felt silly playing a headless bass. 

23 hours ago, RichT said:

By contrast I'm not a traditional Fender man, never owned a Fender bass or FSO.

See, now look what you've gone and done! Today all I can think about is Mustangs. I'd love a sunburst American Performer Mustang... (un)luckily they seem to be pretty much impossible to find at the moment. 

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I love side leds. Not a fan of blue but other colours. AFAIK though, I don't think there are any that you can't turn off.

I  think all bases fitted with leds let you turn them off. Not so much with display monitors 

1 hour ago, whave said:

NBD!!! :) Sterling shortie is joining the Talman!

IMG_20220517_095355.thumb.jpg.1c5c8f2619d2efb8f3e68099a5e4f9fe.jpg

How’re you liking it so far?

Oops! Just seen my NBD thread, as you were.

Edited by ezbass

That’s very disappointing because it’s not exactly the cheapest in that general price sector! I am glad I saw your post, as I was having serious GAS for the remaining Daphne Blue one at Project Music. That has cured it, so thanks!

I wonder if the general quality of these SS Rays has gone down since they were released. All of the reviews I have seen online, which are all from a couple of years ago, say how well it was made. At that point it was retailing for a couple of hundred quid less I believe. 

I think I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a secondhand example. It might have had some of the issues ironed out and if it hasn’t, a bit of remedial work on a £400-450 bass is acceptable but not when it’s near £700.

Edited by Obrienp

1 hour ago, Obrienp said:

That’s very disappointing because it’s not exactly the cheapest in that general price sector! I am glad I saw your post, as I was having serious GAS for the remaining Daphne Blue one at Project Music. That has cured it, so thanks!

I wonder if the general quality of these SS Rays has gone down since they were released. All of the reviews I have seen online, which are all from a couple of years ago, say how well it was made. At that point it was retailing for a couple of hundred quid less I believe. 

I think I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a secondhand example. It might have had some of the issues ironed out and if it hasn’t, a bit of remedial work on a £400-450 bass is acceptable but not when it’s near £700.

It IS very disappointing, since I have now done some comparisons with my Talman (equipped with EMG Geezer Butlers which I really like!), and the Sterling's sound is just SO MUCH BETTER, I am honestly stunned at the jump in quality.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2022 at 12:42, Woodinblack said:

A few people have here, I have the normal scale one. With the nords.

In which case that is the only down side, so you are good. Note the Nords you can take off the top end warm them up just fine with the EQ, the barts aren't well liked as they lack definition, as well as just being wooly. But if you like the sound then you are good.

The pickups are the reason I don't have one and that when one came up on here with replaced pickups i had already bought something else!

They feel well made, but light. The B string sounds fine but the ergonomics are down to you - the neck is smaller than the SRMS805 but similar in its still an ibanez.

After thinking very hard about what you wrote above, spending literally days listening to demos to the point of distraction, briefly going back and forth over my other GAS distractions of SS 'Rays & Mustangs before remembering my ultimate goal of low weight... the ultimate deciding factor came down to the fact that I just couldn't get past the green finish on the EHB1005SMS. Yeah I know :) 

Call me shallow but I like my basses and guitars to look like they're made of wood, and as much as I'd probably prefer short scale to play, the solid metallic emerald green just wasn't doing it for me. So tonight I've made a decision and ordered the EHB1505 Dragon Eye burst with the Nords.  PMT currently have it on sale for under £1000, and at only £65 more than the shorty it seemed way too good an opportunity to pass up.

Thank you everyone who has offered advice and input to my recent questions, it's been very much appreciated even if I didn't ultimately end up buying SS this time. But it's an EHB so will no doubt be light, and as it's the parallel fret 34" version it'll still be easier to get around than the 35.5" SRMS805 was. And I love bursts. Delivery on Thursday. Fingers crossed... ;) 

Edited by RichT
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, whave said:

Yep, in case anyone else would be wondering, I am NOT liking the bass so far, because it's not made well. It's a lovely instrument but the QC is just plain awful. More on this in order not to derail this thread: 

That's a real surprise after hearing so many good things about these.  Glad I opted for a used Fallout US now.

3 minutes ago, martthebass said:

That's a real surprise after hearing so many good things about these.  Glad I opted for a used Fallout US now.

I'd still say this is an AMAZING instrument if you manage to get one without all the quality control issues :) I am returning it now and the shop will try to fix it somehow, replace it, or just refund it. And then if they can't fix it and must refund it, my mission will be to find one that works well, as I am in love :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, whave said:

I'd still say this is an AMAZING instrument if you manage to get one without all the quality control issues :) I am returning it now and the shop will try to fix it somehow, replace it, or just refund it. And then if they can't fix it and must refund it, my mission will be to find one that works well, as I am in love :) 

Good result W.  It's a shame the US ones are so damn expensive, I'd have one in a heartbeat if they were more like £1000-1200.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question. Is fret buzz a common problem with short scale basses? I realise of course that this it could be an issue with a bass of any scale, but I am surprised how much buzz I get from my new Squier VM Jaguar shorty. There was some buzz when it arrived, but then I took it for a setup as the action was stupidly high. It was lowered a little but the buzz seems exactly the same as before. I don’t like a really low action anyway so I certainly don’t want to go any lower and get even more buzz. 

The guitar shop guy did mention something about the bridge not being quite right (Babicz FCH which was on when I bought it used) and you can tell by the holes that it wasn’t a drop in upgrade, he did say that it’s a good bridge in itself, but that it may possibly need some kind of adjustment / refitting another time. Would this be something that could cause fret buzz? 

I did experiment a bit with trying to be a bit less heavy handed, and the buzz went away a bit, but then I moved over to my P bass and the action was spot on for me with no buzzing. 

I’d just like to know if there is some way of sorting this, or if it’s like a common thing with short scale basses or something. The thing is I would quite like short scale to work for me, just for the sake of my back and hands, as the Jag is so light and comfy to hold. Thanks