Why become a member? ×

4 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Agreed with all of that although the lack of a contour on the Mustang doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

The Sandberg (I'm still tempted to get Scratch-IT to make me a scratch plate with a photo of Lionel Blair on to fit to mine) is refined and oozes class and attention to detail in every regard. In contrast the JMJ feels much more uncouth - but it has a whole level of charm, character and an unquantifiable something about it that makes me pick it up more often than not over the 'Berg. To draw a particularly crap and inappropriate analogy, the Sandberg is the sort of girl you dream of marrying whereas the JMJ would do all manner of unhygienic things with you in a pub toilet if you bought it a Babycham and a bag of pork scratchings. 

Hope this helps.

Quick look over my shoulder....

I married a JMJ type so I suppose I'll go for the classy one for a change

;) 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

Quick look over my shoulder....

I married a JMJ type so I suppose I'll go for the classy one for a change

;) 

That's probably it then, I married a sensible one but often yearn for a metaphorical one night stand. 

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Is there such a thing as a Mustang that doesn't have neck dive?

Almost every review I've read / watched seems to mention it.

I'm wondering if I should just keep saving up for a Lionel.

My 76 'stang balances fine and has contours. If you can find a vintage one it would probably be more expensive than a Lionel right now though!

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Is there such a thing as a Mustang that doesn't have neck dive?

Almost every review I've read / watched seems to mention it.

I'm wondering if I should just keep saving up for a Lionel.

I've had 4 Mustangs over the last few years and all have been different with respect to neck dive.

A 2002 CIJ comp strip Mustang came in at about 8.25lbs and had a fair amount of neck dive, sufficient to warrant a wide strap to keep it in place.

My current JMJ is about 8lb and, with the thicker more substantial neck has a little dive, not gross but sufficient to make it want to hang horizontal, that said, easy to keep in place with minimal hand action.

My main player, a Mikey Way sig is a bit heavier with a basswood body and has no neck dive whatsoever.

All I can suggest is that if you're in the market for a Mustang and neck dive is a big factor then I wouldn't buy one without a tryout.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I've had 4 Mustangs over the last few years and all have been different with respect to neck dive.

A 2002 CIJ comp strip Mustang came in at about 8.25lbs and had a fair amount of neck dive, sufficient to warrant a wide strap to keep it in place.

My current JMJ is about 8lb and, with the thicker more substantial neck has a little dive, not gross but sufficient to make it want to hang horizontal, that said, easy to keep in place with minimal hand action.

My main player, a Mikey Way sig is a bit heavier with a basswood body and has no neck dive whatsoever.

All I can suggest is that if you're in the market for a Mustang and neck dive is a big factor then I wouldn't buy one without a tryout.

Very useful thank you.

I think I'm going to order a Sandberg - I've had my quote in and although the 12 month waiting will be very painful I will get exactly what I want.

And it will turn up at about my 50th birthday. 

• Like 3

On 20/04/2022 at 14:50, Clarky said:

NBD. 2006 CIJ Mustang in the very rare sunburst paint scheme (most are oly white or fiesta red).

I bought this before the Easter bank holiday, only for a dream s/s bass to appear (see next post) so may have to sell this on quickly even though its fab 😬

20220420_140927.jpg

20220420_140919.jpg

20220420_141035.jpg

Very nice sunburst.

• Thanks 1

Apologies if this isn't quite the right place to ask this, but I figured if anyone knows then the shortie fans are most likely to. 

I have a Hofner HCT Contemporary Club bass, generally loving it but looking for strings that are better suited for me. I'm very interested in getting a set of the Labella white tapewounds specifically made for Hofners (760THBB) but I note the gauge is higher than the stock strings - 50/65/80/100 vs 40/60/75/95. All I really need to know is whether they will fit the Contemporary Hofner line with no modifications to the nut. Anyone used them at all, or know for sure?

Secondary to this, any opinions on the sound you get from white tapes would be welcome. Despite owning a Hofner I'm certainly not going for a vintage or 'thumpy' tone, I want a fairly standard electric bass sound. I've been using Hofner's own Contemporary roundwounds up until now. The sound of worn in rounds is the general vibe I'm after, I hate new string zing, and I'd also like something that lasts longer than the rounds. 

I did try the Hofner contemporary flatwound set and hated them, sounded totally dead and lifeless to me. I also wasn't impressed by a set of D'Addario flats on another bass, don't think flats are my thing. Hoping the white tapewounds will be the answer and have more life and bite to them. 

Edited by RichT
Edited for brevity, I realised I wrote an essay at first pass...

14 hours ago, RichT said:

Apologies if this isn't quite the right place to ask this, but I figured if anyone knows then the shortie fans are most likely to. 

I have a Hofner HCT Contemporary Club bass, generally loving it but looking for strings that are better suited for me. I'm very interested in getting a set of the Labella white tapewounds specifically made for Hofners (760THBB) but I note the gauge is higher than the stock strings - 50/65/80/100 vs 40/60/75/95. All I really need to know is whether they will fit the Contemporary Hofner line with no modifications to the nut. Anyone used them at all, or know for sure?

Secondary to this, any opinions on the sound you get from white tapes would be welcome. Despite owning a Hofner I'm certainly not going for a vintage or 'thumpy' tone, I want a fairly standard electric bass sound. I've been using Hofner's own Contemporary roundwounds up until now. The sound of worn in rounds is the general vibe I'm after, I hate new string zing, and I'd also like something that lasts longer than the rounds. 

I did try the Hofner contemporary flatwound set and hated them, sounded totally dead and lifeless to me. I also wasn't impressed by a set of D'Addario flats on another bass, don't think flats are my thing. Hoping the white tapewounds will be the answer and have more life and bite to them. 

A bit tricky, this. I've had the same bass and my first reaction is to suggest that the Club - or indeed any other s-s electro-acoustic bass - might not be the best choice for the sounds you're after. Next I would say that, on your bass, rounds ARE your best choice and that a move to flats = 'thumpy' and tapes = even more thumpy/dead. You say you're looking for strings that are "better suited for me." Could be that half-rounds are the best compromise or maybe someone can suggest a set of rounds that won't need much playing-in (I only use flats so can't be much help). Could you explain exactly what improvement you are looking for, e.g. is tension an issue? Re the suitability of your nut for heavier strings, if the slots have been correctly cut for the stock strings I'd say that the extra 5 thou' might be too tight a fit.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RichT said:

I’ve just put 50-100 LaBella Beatle Bass flats on my Ignition Violin bass. It might not be possible to say your much better built Contemporary Club will be the same but the slots in the nut were wide enough for the heavier gauge LaBellas out of the box. The nut still needed tidying up because the strings weren’t breaking at a good angle but the slots were wide enough.

This will probably attract lots of criticism but where I have been going up a gauge and found the nut too tight, I have used a round wound string (of the correct size) as a nut file. I have found this effective even on proper bone nuts but you have to use a gentle touch and don’t press down hard unless you are sure you want to lower the string height at the nut. 

I have to agree with scrumpymike: I’m not sure you are going to get the sound you want out of a Club, even with the centre block in the Contemporary model and especially with flats. Good luck though. I hope it works.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RichT said:

So, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, here…

TI JF324H - Thomastik Jazz Flats specifically for Hofner basses.  They don’t sound like any other flats.  No dead, thumpy E string.  Great tone.  Flexible feel to them so if you play hard they might not be for you.

You must buy the Hofner specific set because the silk ends taper enough to get through to small tuning posts on the Hofner.  Also, don’t buy the standard JF324 set because the E string is totally out of proportion to the gauges of the other strings.

Now the bad news… a quick web search comes back with a penny change from 60 quid!!!  Normal gauges can often be had for a lot less but the “H” version is never discounted.

Search bass chat for TI jazz Flats and read lots of opinions before you splash that kind of cash but they sing for me.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats are rather roundwound sounding (a bit like worn in nickel roundwoulds). I have them both my short scales and I really like them.

Do they do a Hofner set?  The problem is that Hofner tuners are pretty much just guitar tuner sized and standard bass strings won’t fit through the holes.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2022 at 01:33, LeftyJ said:

Awesome! Lovely Mike Watt vibes emanating from that. 

That was the inspiration. Watt was in Bass Player magazine several years ago and I haven't stopped thinking about how cool his bass was ever since. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Man.about.Tyne said:

Do they do a Hofner set?  The problem is that Hofner tuners are pretty much just guitar tuner sized and standard bass strings won’t fit through the holes.

Not that I’m aware of. Those tuners sound like a nuisance, as they’ll certainly limit your choices.

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Can they be drilled out a little?

We’ll I won’t be taking Dremmel to my Schallers any time soon.  I’m loaded up with Jazz Flats and that’s how it’s going to stay.

If anyone else gives it a go, do let us know how much a replacement set costs.

On 21/04/2022 at 23:19, RichT said:

Sounds like a pure nickle (not nickle plated steel) roundwound string set, eventual with round cores, instead of hex, as well, is what you are looking for.

If memory serves me well I think DR got such a short scale set. 

From what I've read from people who tried or are using pure nickle rounwound strings they are basically going to sound like broken in, but not dead, regular nickle plated steel roundwound strings, that is as like when regular nickle plated roundwounds have settled down and lost their initial metallic zing, which is the sound you describe you are looking for, pretty much spot on.

When that is said, from how what you say sounds to me, no matter how much you like the looks of it, your Höfner Club bass might not be the best option for getting the kind of tone you are looking for.

They come with their own sort of baked in signature thumpy character, and there is only so much you can do to change that. 

If the primary function of a musical instrument is making music, which it usually will be, tone should always be prioritized over looks, as you can't hear looks.

The way a bass is designed just happened to convey a specific tonal quality and character, some more than other, and in the case of the Höfner Club as well as Violin/Beatles basses the influence it's specific design has on the tone of it is fairly unique and pretty pronounced, and I suppose somewhat of an acquired taste.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Man.about.Tyne said:

We’ll I won’t be taking Dremmel to my Schallers any time soon.  I’m loaded up with Jazz Flats and that’s how it’s going to stay.

If anyone else gives it a go, do let us know how much a replacement set costs.

it’s not an uncommon modification. The downtuning metal guys have been doing it for years to get thicker strings through the posts.

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

it’s not an uncommon modification. The downtuning metal guys have been doing it for years to get thicker strings through the posts.

I’ve not heard of this one.  I guess where there’s a will, there’s a way and someone will find a way!  Thanks.