Why become a member? ×

45 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Anyone got a Mustang PJ?

Any good? Any headstock dive?

They're great basses, IMO although I recently sold mine - Yeah, I know, but only because I prefer my JMJ Mustang. Not noticeable neck dive but then again I use a 100mm wide leather strap with a suede backing so there's a lot of inherent resistance to neck dive. A few people online seem to moan about the stock pickups but IMO they were very good, clean and clear with classic Fender sounds on tap. I had mine modded to include a blend pot as the stock 3 way switch was too limiting, but the blend really opened up the tones available, my favourite being around 60:40 mix of neck/bridge. Slim jazz like neck profile. Very good basses, IMO, with bags more tonal character than the Performer bass which is twice the price but just sounded a bit bland in comparison. 

• Like 3

I don't know if it is just mine,  but I  find the sound very aggressive and bright for a shortie,  even with half rounds on I usually have the tone down to about 3/10.

The reason I  thought it could be just mine is that  it's an fsr with ebony fingerboard, and I have a guitar with ebony board and that's also very bright sounding...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Osiris said:

They're great basses, IMO although I recently sold mine - Yeah, I know, but only because I prefer my JMJ Mustang. Not noticeable neck dive but then again I use a 100mm wide leather strap with a suede backing so there's a lot of inherent resistance to neck dive. A few people online seem to moan about the stock pickups but IMO they were very good, clean and clear with classic Fender sounds on tap. I had mine modded to include a blend pot as the stock 3 way switch was too limiting, but the blend really opened up the tones available, my favourite being around 60:40 mix of neck/bridge. Slim jazz like neck profile. Very good basses, IMO, with bags more tonal character than the Performer bass which is twice the price but just sounded a bit bland in comparison. 

That's good to hear.

Thanks.

• Like 1

NBD. 2006 CIJ Mustang in the very rare sunburst paint scheme (most are oly white or fiesta red).

I bought this before the Easter bank holiday, only for a dream s/s bass to appear (see next post) so may have to sell this on quickly even though its fab 😬

20220420_140927.jpg

20220420_140919.jpg

20220420_141035.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

NBD. 2006 CIJ Mustang in the very rare sunburst paint scheme (most are oly white or fiesta red).

I bought this before the Easter bank holiday, only for a dream s/s bass to appear (see next post) so may have to sell this on quickly even though its fab 😬

20220420_140927.jpg

20220420_140919.jpg

20220420_141035.jpg

I had both the Oly White and Fiesta Red ones but would have definitely gone for the sunburst if I’d found one. Looks ace! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Clarky said:

Incoming next week. Hotter-than-hell Serek Midwestern in capri orange with competition stripes and Aguilar ceramic P pickup. Phwoarrr

Screenshot_20220418-220306_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220418-220323_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220418-220342_Chrome.jpg

Wow & double wow...thats awesome...congrats

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Is there such a thing as a Mustang that doesn't have neck dive?

Almost every review I've read / watched seems to mention it.

I'm wondering if I should just keep saving up for a Lionel.

Keep saving for the Sandy, IMHO you absolutely will NOT regret it!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Ive not found the FSR all black PJ Mustang or the JMJ to suffer tbh. But that’s coming from the idiot that had been playing Mustangs for about 3 years before realising they were slab bodied, so maybe don’t pay too much attention to me! 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Deffo keep saving for a Lionel or keep an eye out for a used one, you will NOT regret it ! I love mine thanks to @scrumpymike

@Osirisalso has one and will maybe chip in with some wise words

I also have a JMJ Mustang and have no issues with neck dive at all, lack of arm contour is my only slight gripe I guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adee said:

Deffo keep saving for a Lionel or keep an eye out for a used one, you will NOT regret it ! I love mine thanks to @scrumpymike

@Osirisalso has one and will maybe chip in with some wise words

I also have a JMJ Mustang and have no issues with neck dive at all, lack of arm contour is my only slight gripe I guess

Agreed with all of that although the lack of a contour on the Mustang doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

The Sandberg (I'm still tempted to get Scratch-IT to make me a scratch plate with a photo of Lionel Blair on to fit to mine) is refined and oozes class and attention to detail in every regard. In contrast the JMJ feels much more uncouth - but it has a whole level of charm, character and an unquantifiable something about it that makes me pick it up more often than not over the 'Berg. To draw a particularly crap and inappropriate analogy, the Sandberg is the sort of girl you dream of marrying whereas the JMJ would do all manner of unhygienic things with you in a pub toilet if you bought it a Babycham and a bag of pork scratchings. 

Hope this helps.

• Haha 4