Why become a member? ×

3 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Got a Squier Bronco hanging on the wall and it's not quite working for me. It has one of those cheap rail pickups and it's a bit limited. 

I want a good rock and roll bass so would you go for and 51 style pickup or get routing for a proper P pickup? 

PXL_20200806_163729295.PORTRAIT-01.COVER~2-01.jpeg

I put a full split P in mine and it looked fine. There is a company on eBay that do custom pickguards and they did one for me cut for the split P. You will have to do a little routing to fit it in but not a huge amount. I did mine with a couple of sharp chisels.

I did consider putting a ‘51 pickup in it, as I have one spare from a project I did. The trouble is the string spacing is all wrong: a proper ‘51 P pickup expects wide spacing (they are 20mm string to string at the bridge). With a split P you can move the two pickups to overlap more and compensate for the narrower Bronco string spacing. Also ‘51s are pretty much a one trick pony too. IMO a split P is more versatile. It’s a matter of taste though, you might like the ‘51 if you can find one with the pole pieces close enough together for the Bronco string spacing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

That's what's in it just now but not a huge fan of the tone I'm getting. Would prefer something a bit more traditional. 

How about a 51 Precision pickup but slanted like a strat bridge pickup so that the pole pieces line up under the strings? Would that work? 

Edited by Osiris
adding clarity
  • Like 2

On 03/02/2022 at 18:43, Dood said:

On the subject of shorts scale ray-alikes, this review has just gone live:

I really enjoyed this one. Quirky, fun and a bit different!

Please sub to my channel too :)

Still enjoying that Vox? How's the hardware/build quality for the £500-ish price? I am so in love with that one since I have seen it here... :) 

2 hours ago, whave said:

Still enjoying that Vox? How's the hardware/build quality for the £500-ish price? I am so in love with that one since I have seen it here... :) 

Things have moved on since then!  I'm not saying the £500 Indonesian bass was bad but mine was virtually unplayable as received with a stupidly low action and nut slots cut way too shallow.  I could have fixed those things myself but the bass turned up in a Fender Squier box with internal polystyrene packaging that didn't hold the Vox securely and had virtually disintegrated in transit. As if that wasn't bad enough, it was obviously a dusty ex-display model and the advertised gig bag wasn't there!  Basically, I just didn't feel like PMT deserved my money so I returned it - at a cost to me of £12!! I was so disappointed that I decided to phone Vox UK for a whinge and they ended up offering me a twin pickup active MIJ Artist at a massively discounted price.  With a RRP of nearly £1400, this is in a completely different league.  The differences are subtle metallic finish rather than solid black, premium Gotoh bridge and lightweight machine-heads, gloss maple neck, maple fretboard with mother of pearl square inlays, brilliant Aguilar AG 4J-70 pick-ups and OBP-2 pre-amp.  It arrived today and it's the best s-s bass I've ever played.

IMG_5696.JPG

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Things have moved on since then!  I'm not saying the £500 Indonesian bass was bad but mine was virtually unplayable as received with a stupidly low action and nut slots cut way too shallow.  I could have fixed those things myself but the bass turned up in a Fender Squier box with internal polystyrene packaging that didn't hold the Vox securely and had virtually disintegrated in transit. As if that wasn't bad enough, it was obviously a dusty ex-display model and the advertised gig bag wasn't there!  Basically, I just didn't feel like PMT deserved my money so I returned it - at a cost to me of £12!! I was so disappointed that I decided to phone Vox UK for a whinge and they ended up offering me a twin pickup active MIJ Artist at a massively discounted price.  With a RRP of nearly £1400, this is in a completely different league.  The differences are subtle metallic finish rather than solid black, premium Gotoh bridge and lightweight machine-heads, gloss maple neck, maple fretboard with mother of pearl square inlays, brilliant Aguilar AG 4J-70 pick-ups and OBP-2 pre-amp.  It arrived today and it's the best s-s bass I've ever played.

IMG_5696.JPG

Yummmmyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, whave said:

I am sure I would have still been enjoying it, but sadly, as a professional gear reviewer, I have to send kit back after I have finished my videos. I really liked the Artist model I reviewed though, way better than the lower spec version.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

Anyone watching for the release of Serek's The Grand? I'm counting down to the moment I can look at them and realise I can't afford one 😢

Yes! I was about 10 seconds late. I would have bought one if I could.

15 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

This one does an excellent job of 'Cars', despite its light construction.

20220225_204608.thumb.jpg.f7d960e221b871c3e3856cb683cd96f1.jpg

<edit> 30" does that count as short or medium?

30” = short scale in my book. 32” = medium. I noticed on the Chowny thread that their CHB models are approx 31” and 33” , which they call short and medium respectively, so I guess it is open to interpretation. Does that make basses in the 28” and a bit range micro scale?

I mentioned a while,back that I fitted my usual EB Cobalt flatwounds to my JMJ Mustang. When I acquired my Sterling ‘Ray SS, I immediately fitted the same to that. However, it was a 2nd hand set that weren’t as smooth as I’m used to (some roughness around where the frets of the previous bass were). Therefore, yesterday I fitted the Fender flats that came on the Mustang to the ‘Ray. Weirdly, it seems that Fender flats sound better on an EB instrument, whilst EB flats sound better on a Fender instrument. Who knew (it could just be the pickup type of course)?

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

This is my contribution to the short scale society, I bought the CV Mustang just at the beginning of first lockdown , I did not really get on with the narrow neck at first , but it’s growing on me the more I play it . Put some ground-wound strings for a bit more thump , makes a nice mini-rig with the Ashdown and the EA whizzy .

08465C33-7CF4-49AA-8939-7990490E2C61.jpeg

• Like 11

14 hours ago, martin8708 said:

This is my contribution to the short scale society, I bought the CV Mustang just at the beginning of first lockdown , I did not really get on with the narrow neck at first , but it’s growing on me the more I play it . Put some ground-wound strings for a bit more thump , makes a nice mini-rig with the Ashdown and the EA whizzy .

08465C33-7CF4-49AA-8939-7990490E2C61.jpeg

Very nice bass.  Let's see the whole thing.

On 16/02/2022 at 19:55, scrumpymike said:

IMG_5696.JPG

Posted this a couple of weeks ago and 10 forum members liked it. So, some of you may be interested to know that Vox UK have some more FS on their website at the knock-down price I paid for mine, namely £799 as opposed to the original RRP of £1400. Now I've had chance to get to know mine properly, I can tell you that these are well worth £1400 and are therefore an unbelievable bargain at the discounted price. This is MIJ quality at its best, witness the pic showing the edge binding I forgot to mention in my original post. And I can confirm that IMHO the Aguilar pick-ups ARE fantastic.

IMG_5710.JPG