Why become a member? ×

5 hours ago, dmckee said:

I had similar thoughts with the one I got too, to be honest. 3 or 4 little things that added up to overall dissatisfaction, but I had a chat with Andertons and they offered me a £50 refund if I kept it, taking it down to £300, so I decided to keep it. Gave the neck a bit of a light sanding, polished the frets, put on some Ultralites, a set of Status flats, and I’m pretty happy with it now (other than nut probably needs replaced). Ultralites have taken the weight down to 8.7lbs and totally sorted the minor neck dive it had. 

7BBA5308-FD43-4225-89E9-297946D33397.jpeg

Very similar issues with mine too. Unplayable out of the box, absolutely no neck relief and the pickup way too high. Also a slight nick in the finish. I’ve spent some time setting it up and now I’m quite happy, although I suspect it would need a neck shim to take the action any lower (saddles bottomed out with the action around 2.5-3mm at 12th fret)

Some neck dive, and it is rather heavy. Looks and sounds great, I’ve put LaBella 760s on mine.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

Long time since I posted but has anyone ever tuned a short scale bass to D / drop C? 

Would the short scale not be suitable for lower tunings?

Would probably need to use the lower 4 strings of a short scale 5 strings set. Or contact Newtone and they would be able to wind you a custom set. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barrycreed said:

Long time since I posted but has anyone ever tuned a short scale bass to D / drop C? 

Would the short scale not be suitable for lower tunings?

I have yet to try and the only bass I have now is an Epi EB0 with flat wounds which I don’t think would work at all!

I take it we are talking 4 string here? One band I play in tunes down a semitone to help the singers. One of my short scales handles that fine and I think it could go down the full tone without becoming unplayable but I don’t have the action set very low. I think dropping the 4th string to C would be too much, unless you have the action super high. The strings are just going to be flapping about and even with really high action it is going to be difficult to get the intonation right with so little tension. It would be really difficult to fret accurately without bending the string sideways. I guess it might be possible if somebody manufactures a high tension set of short scale strings but I haven’t heard of any.

You watch: somebody will post that they tune down two whole steps all the time and it is no problem😀.

Edited by Obrienp
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

@Obrienpthanks for expanding on this. I suppose that should have been my query. Would higher tension strings help. Just as well it was just a thought and I did not go ahead and try it yet!

Well it’s always worth a try. I don’t think it will do your bass any harm. I am tempted to give it a go now just to see/hear what happens. 

Curiosity killed the cat. I just gave it a try tuned down two whole tones: not as bad I thought it would be. This was with my custom bass with D’Addario 45-105 nickel round wounds. I wouldn’t say it was as bad as floppy but there was a lot of string rattle. Obviously, with the reduced tension, the neck went convex, so for a long term tuning option you would need to loosen the truss rod. The action would probably need to go up and not just at the bridge: I think the nut would need to be raised and the intonation adjusted. Tone wise it was boomy and a bit rubber band like but I didn’t  find it too bad from a fretting accuracy point of view. I was able to avoid bending the strings but it needed a light touch with the plucking hand. I am not sure I could manage it live: I tend to dig in through nerves/excitement.

To summarise: it is probably doable with some set up work but I couldn’t live with the tone you get. It might be better with higher tension strings.

Dear Fellaz & Felazettes!

How are U all doing? Hello from Spain!

I am a recent short scale convert, coming from 6 string, 34/35" basses. Hand injury, small budget & lack of space made me consider a transition to short scale & i am so happy with those two that my 6 string & my fretless are currently up for sale, & i am considering selling my Classic Vibe Precision hehe....

The Mustang is stock for now & it might well stay that way if i like the Labella MUS that should arrive soon.
The Bronco got new 500K pots, 0.047 cap, wiring, dual rail humbucker & D'Addario Chrome Tapewounds. If anyone knows about drop-in tuners (i've read about the Ping P2681, but they are nowhere to be found in my area) & cheap Musicmaster bridges or 4-saddle replacement bridges, that would be awesome.

Sound samples for the Bronco:
https://www.instagram.com/neilelliottbeisson/tv/CYkCCLYN-sw/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYldtIFlukQ/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYn6ssXlds_/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYq9r6wMBHl/?utm_medium=copy_link

And the Mustang:

https://www.instagram.com/neilelliottbeisson/tv/CXtERbvM6vC/?utm_medium=copy_link

Have a nice day!!

20220114_112819.jpg

20220114_112908.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

I love that marbled pick-guard!!

Thanks! It's just a vinyl sticker. And i'll probably have to redo it as it is making bubbles here & there, & the area around the lower horn doesn't stick well. I wonder if using a hair dryer would help... do U guys know? Or would it ruin it?

3 hours ago, outtaseezun said:

The Mustang is stock for now & it might well stay that way if i like the Labella MUS that should arrive soon.
The Bronco got new 500K pots, 0.047 cap, wiring, dual rail humbucker & D'Addario Chrome Tapewounds. If anyone knows about drop-in tuners (i've read about the Ping P2681, but they are nowhere to be found in my area) & cheap Musicmaster bridges or 4-saddle replacement bridges, that would be awesome.

Have a nice day!!

20220114_112819.jpg

I did a lot of mods to a Bronco, which I sold recently. I did start a thread about machine heads and then discovered some drop ins. To quote the thread: 

I don’t know whether these are any better than the originals, or whether you can order from Spain without huge Brexit related customs hassles. If you just have a dodgy machine head that needs replacing and want to stick with a drop in; I have the original tuners for my Bronco, which you can have for nothing but the price of postage. Message me if you want them.

Edit: forgot about the bridge. It depends whether you want to stay with the Bronco string spacing , look and mount holes. I wasn’t bothered about sticking with the look. I found a replacement, high mass bridge with 18mm spacing (0.5 MM more than standard), 4 saddles and roughly the same mount holes on eBay for very little but it came from China. The standard adjustment screws didn’t provide enough movement to get the intonation correct on strings 3 and 4, so I had to source shorter screws. To be honest, it was a lot of hassle and I wish I had just gone for a standard Fender style 4 saddle bridge with different mount holes and 19mm spacing. Yes a bit of hassle getting it aligned but the OEM bridge wasn’t aligned on the centre line anyway. Broncos are built at a price. Just get one with a big enough baseplate to cover the original mounting holes.

If retaining the original string spacing is important to you, Babicz and Schaller do bridges with adjustable string spacing but they are going to cost 70-80% of what you paid for the Bronco in the first place. You will never recover that outlay. I probably spent around £280 on buying and modding the Bronco and sold it for £120. Lesson learnt as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Obrienp
Forgot something.
  • Thanks 1

After thought: This company on eBay does Bronco pickguards in all sorts of finishes and custom configurations. They did one for me cut for a precision pickup set. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Bronco-Bass-Pickguard-Scratchplate-many-colours-/114628915838?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

8 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

Also, look at this rare beast!

https://reverb.com/uk/item/49312045-fender-mustang-bass-1978-antiqua

Already looking at if I can afford to get this and still pay for my Serek 😅

I know Antigua has its fair share of haters, but I’ve always like it and it looks amazing on that Mustang.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2022 at 15:10, Obrienp said:

I did a lot of mods to a Bronco, which I sold recently. I did start a thread about machine heads and then discovered some drop ins. To quote the thread: 

I don’t know whether these are any better than the originals, or whether you can order from Spain without huge Brexit related customs hassles. If you just have a dodgy machine head that needs replacing and want to stick with a drop in; I have the original tuners for my Bronco, which you can have for nothing but the price of postage. Message me if you want them.

Edit: forgot about the bridge. It depends whether you want to stay with the Bronco string spacing , look and mount holes. I wasn’t bothered about sticking with the look. I found a replacement, high mass bridge with 18mm spacing (0.5 MM more than standard), 4 saddles and roughly the same mount holes on eBay for very little but it came from China. The standard adjustment screws didn’t provide enough movement to get the intonation correct on strings 3 and 4, so I had to source shorter screws. To be honest, it was a lot of hassle and I wish I had just gone for a standard Fender style 4 saddle bridge with different mount holes and 19mm spacing. Yes a bit of hassle getting it aligned but the OEM bridge wasn’t aligned on the centre line anyway. Broncos are built at a price. Just get one with a big enough baseplate to cover the original mounting holes.

If retaining the original string spacing is important to you, Babicz and Schaller do bridges with adjustable string spacing but they are going to cost 70-80% of what you paid for the Bronco in the first place. You will never recover that outlay. I probably spent around £280 on buying and modding the Bronco and sold it for £120. Lesson learnt as far as I am concerned.

Hey there!

Thanks for all that info! I just sent U a private message! 🙏🙏🙏😊

On 17/01/2022 at 17:19, Badscrew said:

Hey shorty aficionados!

My highly modified Bronco (aren't they all?)

Original: body, neck, strap buttons, pickguard screws, neck plate and neckscrews. Everything else isn't stock anymore :)

51826909110_270d77bf12_h.jpg

Nice job! What pickups are they?