Why become a member? ×

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Sometimes new basses have slightly high frets, this is because they're not seated properly. If you get a screwdriver with a softish rubber handle, not the solid plastic kind. Use the heel of the screwdriver and press down on the high frets they often become seated properly and no fret buzz.

Thanks, I will give that a try

And I have decided the Fallout tribute is going back, I wanted to love it but it just felt a bit cheap, my Ibanez Mezzo is just as good quality wise and is half the price so I cant justify keeping the Fallout, to further add to the cheap feel (and what really sealed my decision to return it) there is a chip in the finish by the pickup that I did not initially notice, a black mark on the neck near the headstock and the nut has plastic sanding dust where they have cut the nut.

My Fender Mustang that I had to move on due to the slab body being uncomfortable for my arm was in a different league compared to this, was just a much better instrument, real shame as for £349 reduced down from the usual pricing of around £500 this seemed to be a bargain but imo this is £300 bass not a £500 bass

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

And I have decided the Fallout tribute is going back, I wanted to love it but it just felt a bit cheap, my Ibanez Mezzo is just as good quality wise and is half the price so I cant justify keeping the Fallout, to further add to the cheap feel (and what really sealed my decision to return it) there is a chip in the finish by the pickup that I did not initially notice, a black mark on the neck near the headstock and the nut has plastic sanding dust where they have cut the nut.

My Fender Mustang that I had to move on due to the slab body being uncomfortable for my arm was in a different league compared to this, was just a much better instrument, real shame as for £349 reduced down from the usual pricing of around £500 this seemed to be a bargain but imo this is £300 bass not a £500 bass

Ok, so looking for a replacement short scale has kind of made me wonder if I should start looking at longscales too but being a short derrière with small hands I am not sure how I would get on with long scale (I have only short and medium scale basses)

I love the look of the short scale Schecter Banshee bass but it is slightly out of my price range, am looking around the £500 range and actually seems quite difficult to find a decent short scale with a contoured body

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

Ok, so looking for a replacement short scale has kind of made me wonder if I should start looking at longscales too but being a short derrière with small hands I am not sure how I would get on with long scale (I have only short and medium scale basses)

I love the look of the short scale Schecter Banshee bass but it is slightly out of my price range, am looking around the £500 range and actually seems quite difficult to find a decent short scale with a contoured body

Might be a case of waiting for one to come up given they weren’t made for long, but seem to remember the last Fender Modern Player Jazz shortie that was for sale on here was up for about £500. PJ config plus contours…just a thought.

7 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

am looking around the £500 range and actually seems quite difficult to find a decent short scale with a contoured body

Have you checked out the Sterling by Musicman shortie? It's edges seem as smooth and round as they get, reviewers love it, it's usually around £600. I am eyeballing one for a while now, primarily would love to go with a Chowny Retrovibe Evo (as they will become medium & short scale once made in the UK soon) but the body seems a bit more towards the slab side on pictures which is discouraging me, so this Sterling is my next choice. I am all in for contoureds.

sterling.thumb.JPG.461269a4a07299c6e6943a30769a40c2.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

Ok, so looking for a replacement short scale has kind of made me wonder if I should start looking at longscales too but being a short derrière with small hands I am not sure how I would get on with long scale

YouTube is full of pre-teen virtuosos playing long scale basses. Don't forget uprights have a ~41" scale length...

I like short scales, and I am 6'2" with long fingers (take note, ladies).

10 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

Two obvious inexpensive but good short scale basses with contourd bodies are the Jaguar Short Scale (now out of production 😞 ) and the gorgeous Ibanez Talman SS.

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

... and the gorgeous Ibanez Talman SS.

It IS gorgeous (I have posted mine here a couple pages ago but please allow me to do it again as I'm really loving it :)  ), but it's a £150 bass and it sort of feels like it. I am still writing up my personal review about it after using it for ~4 months now. No, I don't have THAT much to say, I'm just a lazy bum :) 

1942166934_IMG_20211116_230411_2(1).thumb.jpg.a2ba3085e56c3b81e47453a232cd36ce.jpg

(it's body looks a bit fat on this photo due to the perspective)

Edited by whave
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Owno said:

I just got my Serek Midwestern after a long wait. I’ve played short scale basses (Mustang) for quite some time now, but this is something else! 

Wowzer that looks ace, let's have a few more pix please!

2 hours ago, Owno said:

I just got my Serek Midwestern after a long wait. I’ve played short scale basses (Mustang) for quite some time now, but this is something else! 

3F837579-EAE6-4840-BE30-C9B75661CB28.jpeg

Looks inspired by a Coronet.

413379-Epiphone-Coronet-Cherry-Body.jpg

Oh yes definitely Coronet DNA in there, even a P90 a like on some models. I do like Coronets so I like this bass:

F1.jpg

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Adee said:

Wowzer that looks ace, let's have a few more pix please!

21 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Looks inspired by a Coronet.

413379-Epiphone-Coronet-Cherry-Body.jpg

Oh yes definitely Coronet DNA in there, even a P90 a like on some models. I do like Coronets so I like this bass:

F1.jpg

It is inspired by the Epiphone Coronet guitar and Newport bass seen to the gumbyesque body shape and pickguard, for sure. In terms of playability this is - dare I say - way better though. Here’s another pic of my bass from the Serek factory floor: 3CDB0D4F-D8CE-4440-B7A7-3470264E4430.thumb.jpeg.6c7cc11f9b2529fa77bceafb63c6731f.jpegIt plays like a dream, weighs less than 3kg and sounds incredible. Another beast than my JMJ and P-bass. I highly recommend all short scale fans contemplating whether to purchase a slightly more expensive bass to order one (if low output thump is what you need)!

Edited by Owno
  • Like 12

Just got a Gibson Les Paul DC from Bax . At the price they were throwing them out , l could not resist (£575)

Always fancied one .

I see they have gone back up to £800 ish now .

Some small quality issues 1) end of fingerboard not stained correctly - patchy 2) scratchplate screws going in at an angle 3)small "ding" on back of neck .

Could have sent back , but at this price l was expecting some quality issues .

Plays and sounds BEAUTIFUL . 

Pics to follow 

Edited by petetexas
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, petetexas said:

Just got a Gibson Les Paul DC from Bax . At the price they were throwing them out , l could not resist (£575)

Always fancied one .

I see they have gone back up to £800 ish now .

Some small quality issues 1) end of fingerboard not stained correctly - patchy 2) scratchplate screws going in at an angle 3)small "ding" on back of neck .

Could have sent back , but at this price l was expecting some quality issues .

Plays and sounds BEAUTIFUL . 

Show us the loot!

Bathroom scales 7 1/2 lb , nice for an old man like me , centerline join on Mahogany body . Dont know if its a Thunderbird pickup or not ( looks about the same size )

Fingerboard was really dry when I got it , used plenty of Leamon Oil . Frets still need polishing

I have set it with a highish action ( as I like ) , and I have still got to find out what difference the push / pull pot makes on the overall sound . Bedroom level is not a true test .

Got to wait now till our guitarists fingertip has healed to start gigging again ( cut most of it off on a guillotine at his works ).

A Gator Les Paul delux case is on order , after a lot of research on internet , which came up with this case as the best fit .

Slight neck dive , but have got used to playing with my 1997 Epiphone Rivoli which has neck dive , so no problem there .

Will get a few more pics up later .

Pete

• Like 2

On 05/01/2022 at 21:50, Owno said:

It is inspired by the Epiphone Coronet guitar and Newport bass seen to the gumbyesque body shape and pickguard, for sure. In terms of playability this is - dare I say - way better though. Here’s another pic of my bass from the Serek factory floor: 3CDB0D4F-D8CE-4440-B7A7-3470264E4430.thumb.jpeg.6c7cc11f9b2529fa77bceafb63c6731f.jpegIt plays like a dream, weighs less than 3kg and sounds incredible. Another beast than my JMJ and P-bass. I highly recommend all short scale fans contemplating whether to purchase a slightly more expensive bass to order one (if low output thump is what you need)!

This makes me more excited for mine, but also more frustrated because I probably won't get it til January 2023 😭

2 hours ago, Owno said:

Great! How long is the wait now? 

When I put the deposit down at the end of October Jake said it would be a year, but they've had supply chain issues and he posted on the socials to add an extra 6-8 weeks. Everything I've read about them says it'll be worth it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bassist_lewis said:

When I put the deposit down at the end of October Jake said it would be a year, but they've had supply chain issues and he posted on the socials to add an extra 6-8 weeks. Everything I've read about them says it'll be worth it.

Good Lord, in the age of next day delivery, this makes me feel like being in a weird Twilight Zone episode or something!

• Haha 2

On 03/01/2022 at 14:01, shoulderpet said:

I had similar thoughts with the one I got too, to be honest. 3 or 4 little things that added up to overall dissatisfaction, but I had a chat with Andertons and they offered me a £50 refund if I kept it, taking it down to £300, so I decided to keep it. Gave the neck a bit of a light sanding, polished the frets, put on some Ultralites, a set of Status flats, and I’m pretty happy with it now (other than nut probably needs replaced). Ultralites have taken the weight down to 8.7lbs and totally sorted the minor neck dive it had. 

7BBA5308-FD43-4225-89E9-297946D33397.jpeg