Why become a member? ×

To get over the gap at the bottom of pickup to body , when the pickup was raised , l put some black modelling putty ( milliputy l think it was ) around the resin coils , and sanded back to make the pickup cover look deeper .

Looks ok to me .

Going to put the parallel , series switch in and remove the choke connections next .

Pete

On 12/12/2021 at 15:52, shoulderpet said:

Is there anyone here with a G and L Fallout tribute bass? If so is the body contoured?

I love my Mustang bass but everytime I sit down to play it I have to wear a wristband because of the slab body

I have a G&L Fallout Tribute. It has a belly contour and a pretty deep forearm contour. I'm in Stockport of you'd like to try it.

On 23/12/2021 at 07:57, dmckee said:

Well, when they did weight them, they told me they all weighed 9.2lbs. Mine arrived yesterday. Not weighed it yet, but that seems about right. Enjoying it so far - it’s been a while since I had a short scale so enjoying the slight weirdness! Waiting on some flats arriving and have ordered Ultralites to reduce weight a bit and hopefully sort the mild neck dive. Here it is, next to a couple of its big brothers. 😃

CB430B80-672A-4BE2-A4CE-53F54E3A3F5D.jpeg

I like flats or halves on my basses. I've been trying different strings on my Fallout Tribute. Best so far seem to be Labella black tapewounds, followed by Status halves. What do you have on yours, please? Any intonation issues?

2 hours ago, solo4652 said:

I like flats or halves on my basses. I've been trying different strings on my Fallout Tribute. Best so far seem to be Labella black tapewounds, followed by Status halves. What do you have on yours, please? Any intonation issues?

I have Cobalt flats on my other basses but you can’t get them in short scale, so….. to save a bit of money I’ve ordered a set of Status flats. Just waiting on them to arrive. The other ones I’d really like to try are the Labella 760s, as recommended by Ed Friedland. 

I had Labella white nylon tapewounds on a bass for a while. Really liked them but worried they’d be too loose for me on a short scale. 

1 hour ago, dmckee said:

I have Cobalt flats on my other basses but you can’t get them in short scale, so….. to save a bit of money I’ve ordered a set of Status flats. Just waiting on them to arrive. The other ones I’d really like to try are the Labella 760s, as recommended by Ed Friedland. 

I had Labella white nylon tapewounds on a bass for a while. Really liked them but worried they’d be too loose for me on a short scale. 

La Bella 760FS-S flats are a great choice and work fine on my s-s basses drop-tuned to Eb.

18 minutes ago, wrinkleygit said:

On my 30” scale Telebass, I have Labella SS low tension flats, also fitted them to a mates 70’s Musicmaster, my favourite flats by far, much nicer than TI flats or Chromes in my opinion.

That's interesting, I really like TI Flats, can I ask what's better about the LaBellas?

Eude

11 minutes ago, eude said:

That's interesting, I really like TI Flats, can I ask what's better about the LaBellas?

Eude

TI and Chrome's are very different to LaBellas, it's a preference of tone; as LaBella is old skool, i.e. thumpy, lacking a little definition (compared to 'modern' or 'hybrid' flats like Chrome's). TI's and Chrome's are more defined in the mids, and not as thumpy.

35 minutes ago, eude said:

Eude

Initially had TI’s on my old Overwater Progress, but couldn’t get on with the low tension, swapped them around on a couple of other basses with the same results, just felt too loose for me.

The Labella LT flats are easier on my fingers without being too floppy, but it all comes down to personal taste in the end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Any recommendations for gig bags for short scale basses? Fender Mustang in particular. I know it’ll fit into a standard size bag, but that takes away the ability to stash the bass out of sight in the boot of my car. 
Suggestions welcome.

Very much depends on the bass, particularly the headstock. My Callowhill MPB will fit comfortably in a Mono sleeve, but I have to fight the zipper with my JMJ Mustang. Harvest Leather make a short scale gig bag that fits the JMJ, but they are very expensive.

Serek and Maruszczyk also make bags that will fit most short scales.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Any recommendations for gig bags for short scale basses? Fender Mustang in particular. I know it’ll fit into a standard size bag, but that takes away the ability to stash the bass out of sight in the boot of my car. 
Suggestions welcome.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-fbss-610-short-scale-bass-gig-bag/921347

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Suggestions welcome.

I use the Gruvgear Edge for Guitar and it just fits it, it was the highest quality small case I could find.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

TI and Chrome's are very different to LaBellas, it's a preference of tone; as LaBella is old skool, i.e. thumpy, lacking a little definition (compared to 'modern' or 'hybrid' flats like Chrome's). TI's and Chrome's are more defined in the mids, and not as thumpy.

15 hours ago, wrinkleygit said:

Initially had TI’s on my old Overwater Progress, but couldn’t get on with the low tension, swapped them around on a couple of other basses with the same results, just felt too loose for me.

The Labella LT flats are easier on my fingers without being too floppy, but it all comes down to personal taste in the end.

Thank you guys.

I quite like the tone and feel of the TIs but o appreciate that they're not for everyone.

Something more old school would be nice to try though.

I might just give the LaBellas a go.

3 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

I have one of these - among others from Spector, Maruszczyk, and Atelier Z - and would highly recommend it.  Good quality / price and you can be sure it's going to fit your Mustang.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2021 at 14:49, solo4652 said:

I have a G&L Fallout Tribute. It has a belly contour and a pretty deep forearm contour. I'm in Stockport of you'd like to try it.

Thanks for the offer, I ended up getting one of the Fallout tribute basses that Anderson's were selling for £349, seems good so far but there is some fret buzz so I think it probably needs a fret dress

1 hour ago, shoulderpet said:

Thanks for the offer, I ended up getting one of the Fallout tribute basses that Anderson's were selling for £349, seems good so far but there is some fret buzz so I think it probably needs a fret dress

Set up has been an ongoing process with mine. I was getting fret buzz at the body end of the neck. Lifting the saddles meant the strings were too far from the fretboard in the main playing area. I gradually straightened the neck and lifted the saddles. Because I use full floating thumb, I'm often resting the side of my thumb on the E,A and D strings, which tends to push them downwards towards the body-end frets, and the pickups. That's why I tend to end up with a pretty straight neck and high-ish saddles. Also, for me, 45 - 105 gauge strings helped. The D'Addario black nylons that work so well on my Lakland hollowbody are too stretchy on the Fallout. Status half-wounds work well for me on the G&L.

2 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

I'd be disappointed if a brand new bass needed a fret dress, are you sure it just doesn't need a truss rod tweak?

Having said that,  my almost new new Mustang had a couple of frets that needed slight attention too.

28 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I'd be disappointed if a brand new bass needed a fret dress, are you sure it just doesn't need a truss rod tweak?

Having said that,  my almost new new Mustang had a couple of frets that needed slight attention too.

It might just be that but I noticed a little bit of fret chatter on the first couple of frets if I dig in when I play so that along with the little bit of fret buzz on the upper frets makes me think that maybe there are a couple of high frets on the bass

54 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

It might just be that but I noticed a little bit of fret chatter on the first couple of frets if I dig in when I play so that along with the little bit of fret buzz on the upper frets makes me think that maybe there are a couple of high frets on the bass

Sometimes new basses have slightly high frets, this is because they're not seated properly. If you get a screwdriver with a softish rubber handle, not the solid plastic kind. Use the heel of the screwdriver and press down on the high frets they often become seated properly and no fret buzz.

Edited by hooky_lowdown
  • Like 1